Jet 180 Tstat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, would this product work with my truck: Jet 180* Thermostat for 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi

I've read of many people replacing the factory tstat with a 180 tstat. What are the benefits?

Are there any downsides? Would putting this in void my warranty? As I would have to pay someone to install it, is it worth the investment?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Just go with the CST...it is a few $ cheaper, and it is the exact same part that is in the Jet box. The only drawback to a colder tstat is that it takes a little warmer for the truck to warm up in colder climates. Here in TX, I would never own a hemi truck without a 180* stat.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just go with the CST...it is a few $ cheaper, and it is the exact same part that is in the Jet box. The only drawback to a colder tstat is that it takes a little warmer for the truck to warm up in colder climates. Here in TX, I would never own a hemi truck without a 180* stat.

I love in Northern California. Coldest it gets here is around 30 degrees F. If it doesn't void my warranty ill do it. Can you tell me about the benefits from having it put in? Thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It wont affect your warranty. These hemi motors run much better when cool, so keeping temps below 200* are a definite plus. It also helps prevent knock when running a tuner.

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It wont affect your warranty. These hemi motors run much better when cool, so keeping temps below 200* are a definite plus. It also helps prevent knock when running a tuner.

Sounds great. Any short/long term negatives? If not, why don't they put these in at the factory?

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always heard that they make them run the high temps to help the fuel burn more completely. Its just another emissions thing.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I've always heard that they make them run the high temps to help the fuel burn more completely. Its just another emissions thing.

I have spent some time reading a few write ups about this..... It is stated that a hotter temp helps produce better mpg, and keep emissions low. I was raised up believing that a lower temp thermostat provides better operating temp for performance. On our new Rams the ECU is tuned in to idle according to operating temp. I still question on what is compatible for best operating performance...

??

OP
OP
URdone21

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have spent some time reading a few write ups about this..... It is stated that a hotter temp helps produce better mpg, and keep emissions low. I was raised up believing that a lower temp thermostat provides better operating temp for performance. On our new Rams the ECU is tuned in to idle according to operating temp. I still question on what is compatible for best operating performance...

??

Well, if getting the 180 tstat means lower MPG, no thank you. Am I reading what you said correctly?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Well, if getting the 180 tstat means lower MPG, no thank you. Am I reading what you said correctly?

It will lower you're mpg by maybe one

Coming from the Grand Prix we all run 180 over the stock 195 and everyone has said you will lose about 1mpg.. I would assume it's the same for the HEMI.

I've been wanting to do it too. It does help especially if you get the fan/s to come on earlier but were not driving a hybrid. I need all the mpg I can get. lol