Jump started with cables on wrong posts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy cow man! The suspense is killin me!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im surprised its not the battery? This has all the symptoms of a bad battery.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heres the conclusion:

Turns out the improper jump start fried one of the diodes on the alternator and also shorted out the factory Alpine amplifier, which caused the parasitic battery drain.

I replaced the battery initially, but since I still had a bad alternator, it ruined the replacement battery. I swapped the replacement battery for a Duracell AGM battery and a new alternator. I was still noticing a drain, so i purchased a multimeter that could read DC current and connected it inline with my negative battery terminal. I kept pulling fuses until i found the culprit; the stock amp in this case. Since I dont use the stock amp (got an aftermarket system), I just pulled the fuse. Total out of pocket cost was $220 (plus a new multimeter that i wont charge my buddy for) and a lot of frustration.

Im glad I did this myself as I think I learned a lot more about trouble shooting unknown electrical problems in vehicles.