K&N filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well you've decided to attack my post. So tell me what this claimed, and verified, damage has been from K&N filters... Why haven't millions of others had the same experience? I assume you speak from vast experience with K&Ns rather than just reading about them. My posts are based on actual experience. Never had a vehicle yet whose performance didn't improve with just a filter swap. Sometimes just a little, other times a lot. Nor have I ever had an engine problem from running them.

I'll agree with you that the butt-dyno can lie sometimes. However timeslips don't lie. Here's an anecdotal story for you. I took my RAM to the track a few weeks ago. Bone stock. Next week I went back with only one change, replaced the OEM element with a K&N drop in. Knocked a tenth off my time. Same track, same weather, same everything, except filter and fuel level. I had a full tank the second trip and 1/4 tank the first time. So possibly more than a tenth if the tank had the same each time. The only thing I "felt" after the swap was increased throttle response and acceleration. The timeslips just confirmed what I already knew.

But you want to see dyno data for a K&N swap. There's plenty of examples out there, but here's one so you don't have to Google it.

K&N Air Filter Test - Tech Articles - Hot Rod Network

As for years of experience. I know of a handful of shops that've been in business and making money for decades. I've seen their work and would never let them touch anything of mine. And yes, I used to wrench for money when I was younger. Not saying that applies to you, just saying length of service doesn't necessarily equate to quality of service. In any industry. But you seem dead set that your opinion is the final word, so lets just agree to disagree. The other members can research this topic for themselves and make their own decisions. I've made mine and couldn't be happier, or quicker. ;)

wink
K&N has an article showing just how dishonest the MAF sensor claim is and how it reflects poorly on the ethics, integrity and mechanical aptitude of anyone making the claim. :eek:

https://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=422

Anyone who understands the ISO 5011 Testing Standard knows that it is not whether or not some Goober can see light through the un-oiled filter. It is whether a properly oiled filter stops about 96-98% of all dust right on down to .5 Microns (a human hair is 50 microns).

Some 'wrenches' are stuck in a time warp in the days of timing lights and feeler gauges to set spark gap and mechanical point timing. They're run'n "retard."

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
As you can tell by my name I'm new here. What's the going opinion on K&N filters? I have used the panel air filters on everything I've owned since 2002 and used their oil filters off and on. I just got my new Ram about a month ago and was thinking about using K&N on it but I've been reading some really mixed reviews on them. I've never had any problems in the past with them, however I don't want to start any problems now either. Any and all advice appreciated.

I bought my K&N in 2009 for my new ram. Drove it 5 years and bought the new 2014 2500. As luck would have it the air box on the 2014 was identical to the 2009. I swapped the filters and now running it on this truck. Saving money over replacing paper filters.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
entertaining and educational at the same time... great thread lol

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
entertaining and educational at the same time... great thread lol

AGREED!

I find that people wind up making their own choices and justify those choices with just about anything they pull out of their hats ... anything ...

I find that people can be convinced OR come to believe anything, no matter what evidence is put in front of them.

And so it, in the end, comes down to a personal choice or belief ... regardless of what the actual facts are. And we, as observers, can or must make our own choices, based hopefully on factual evidence.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
AGREED!

I find that people wind up making their own choices and justify those choices with just about anything they pull out of their hats ... anything ...

I find that people can be convinced OR come to believe anything, no matter what evidence is put in front of them.

And so it, in the end, comes down to a personal choice or belief ... regardless of what the actual facts are. And we, as observers, can or must make our own choices, based hopefully on factual evidence.
Or crackpot conventional "wisdom" gleaned from bathroom stalls by those stuck on top-dead-center. :crazy:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I use an AEM dry filter. Best of both worlds and I believe KN owns them now.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't get to make up your own facts. You do get to off-gas your own opinions.

Everyone has opinions, just like butt holes and the majority stink.

Not doing your homework first before opining doesn't give me a warm feeling about your ability as a wrench. Ever heard of a shop manual?

That IMHO is like taking your vehicle to a lawn mower shop because they fix engines too. :crazy:

You really don't have to be all that sharp to realize that if you can see through it with the bare eye that a properly oiled or not at some point not so well oiled. these poor excuses for everyday filters are letting particles through.Damage?It could be so long term it would be extremely hard to notice.You supporters ever do at least a compression check every 50 k or so?Never mind a leak down test.Seat of the pants it's never hurt mt motor is BS at best.
BTW I'm calling BS on 1/10 in the 1/4 just with a K&N.
As far as my credentials,I've been wrenching for a living(as well as owning and wrenching Mopar Muscle Cars that a lot of you have probably only heard of NEVER MIND ACTUALLY OWNED)for longer than a lot of you have been driving.15 years doing warr. work at a dealer you don't make large unless you know what you're doing.I'm such a ****** tech that I got hired by the Govn. from the dealer to wrench for an almost 10.000 member police force.

I will say that K&N has it's place.That being race engines that are torn down pretty much every race.Other than that a $20 paper filter is a far.far better option.

You numpty's just keep on loving the K&N KOOLAIDE.

Last edited:

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't get to make up your own facts. You do get to off-gas your own opinions.

Everyone has opinions, just like butt holes and the majority stink.

Not doing your homework first before opining doesn't give me a warm feeling about your ability as a wrench. Ever heard of a shop manual?

That IMHO is like taking your vehicle to a lawn mower shop because they fix engines too. :crazy:

You really don't have to be all that sharp to realize that if you can see through it with the bare eye that a properly oiled or not at some point not so well oiled. these poor excuses for everyday filters are letting particles through.Damage?It could be so long term it would be extremely hard to notice.You supporters ever do at least a compression check every 50 k or so?Never mind a leak down test.Seat of the pants it's never hurt mt motor is BS at best.:flipthebird:
As far as my credentials,I've been wrenching for a living(as well as owning and wrenching Mopar Muscle Cars that a lot of you have probably only heard of NEVER MIND ACTUALLY OWNED)for longer than a lot of you have been driving.15 years doing warr. work at a dealer you don't make large unless you know what you're doing.

I will say that K&N has it's place.That being race engines that are torn down pretty much every race.Other than that a $20 paper filter is a far.far better option.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put one on my truck and lost 1mpg. Did put a light bar on at the same time, but geesh... going to sell and try an S&B!

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Believe what you want. I have timeslips, what you got? Saying your a mechanic at a dealership explains a lot. BTW I did a leakdown at 20k before sending off my 6.1 core. Zero! So how many miles do I need to run my "transparent" K&N filters to damage my engine?

My apologies to any actual dealership technicians. I know there are some out there. I've known two personally in my 60+ years. They had diagnostic skills.

wink

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Right on. One aspect that's missing from the discussion is that gas engines are 'quantity regulated', a.k.a. they have a throttle to reduce/increase the airflow to regulate engine output power. The only time an air filter with less air flow resistance makes a difference is at WOT when max power is needed. Obviously that is much more frequent in racing than in day-to-day driving.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
Right on. One aspect that's missing from the discussion is that gas engines are 'quantity regulated', a.k.a. they have a throttle to reduce/increase the airflow to regulate engine output power. The only time an air filter with less air flow resistance makes a difference is at WOT when max power is needed. Obviously that is much more frequent in racing than in day-to-day driving.

Correct and that's when I want every advantage... WOT. I've been a fan boy and been drinking the koolaide for years. I've learned the correct way to oil these filters after weekends of ATVing and having to clean and reoil as many as 5 at a shot (and even then there were times I had to redo one having oiled it to much). But these were also on carburetor atvs. Times have changed with fuel/port/direct injection and now computers just readjust to a filter being dirty. And why a Filter Minder isn't standard on a vehicle is beyond me. That's really the only sure way you can tell your restriction is high enough to change/clean your filter.

I think K&N is a great company and if you've ever had to deal with them you'd be impressed. They do stand behind their products. But this day and age they need to take and run with their OIL FREE SYNTHETIC filters. Clean/rinse/dry/reinstall. Now that no one can screw up (I'd hope)! It's just so much easier. I won't buy another oiled filter again.

My Dakota (bought new in 2004) had a drop in K&N for 3 years and now has a K&N hot air intake and it uses NO oil or leaks. So they can protect an engine. And my '16 Ram got a K&N hot intake after 2 weeks of driving it off the lot BUT has the synthetic dry filter.

I think abuse and lack of maintenance are ruining engines more than just a K&N. Of course I'm no mechanic and I don't see first hand what A LITTLE more wear will do. Most people get rid of a vehicle before the motors trashed anyways. I really don't see many, if any, vehicles on the road leaving a smoke screen like the 80s and 90s and I doubt they all had K&Ns in them.

It's your truck and if you like K&N I say run it! Just remember there are other choices that may/will protect better.

One other thing I wanna get off my chest....All the K&N (filters and hot intakes) I've bought over the years and NOWHERE on the box did it say "WILL INCREASE FUEL MILEAGE"! Go check, it ain't on there, so quit expecting it!

Sorry just wanted to show off my intake

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct and that's when I want every advantage... WOT. I've been a fan boy and been drinking the koolaide for years. I've learned the correct way to oil these filters after weekends of ATVing and having to clean and reoil as many as 5 at a shot (and even then there were times I had to redo one having oiled it to much). But these were also on carburetor atvs. Times have changed with fuel/port/direct injection and now computers just readjust to a filter being dirty. And why a Filter Minder isn't standard on a vehicle is beyond me. That's really the only sure way you can tell your restriction is high enough to change/clean your filter.

I think K&N is a great company and if you've ever had to deal with them you'd be impressed. They do stand behind their products. But this day and age they need to take and run with their OIL FREE SYNTHETIC filters. Clean/rinse/dry/reinstall. Now that no one can screw up (I'd hope)! It's just so much easier. I won't buy another oiled filter again.

My Dakota (bought new in 2004) had a drop in K&N for 3 years and now has a K&N hot air intake and it uses NO oil or leaks. So they can protect an engine. And my '16 Ram got a K&N hot intake after 2 weeks of driving it off the lot BUT has the synthetic dry filter.

I think abuse and lack of maintenance are ruining engines more than just a K&N. Of course I'm no mechanic and I don't see first hand what A LITTLE more wear will do. Most people get rid of a vehicle before the motors trashed anyways. I really don't see many, if any, vehicles on the road leaving a smoke screen like the 80s and 90s and I doubt they all had K&Ns in them.

It's your truck and if you like K&N I say run it! Just remember there are other choices that may/will protect better.

One other thing I wanna get off my chest....All the K&N (filters and hot intakes) I've bought over the years and NOWHERE on the box did it say "WILL INCREASE FUEL MILEAGE"! Go check, it ain't on there, so quit expecting it!

Sorry just wanted to show off my intake

Well hear I'll show you my intake. I've been running K&N AirFilter for a long time my last truck had over 250,000 miles on it and when I traded it for the ram I have right now, it was still running great with no problems just a lot of miles and being 13 years old.
2a8f59cca280c2f2c937a7ba7f53c7cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk