K&N or S&B Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MackayHFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi guys,

I've owned my 2014 RAM Sport for ~3 months now and looking to make the first change from stock. I'm looking for a CAI and have narrowed it down to two, the K&N and S&B. Honestly, both look the same to me, the S&B costs ~$30 more shipped so no real difference there. Only visible difference is that the S&B has a polymer window on top, seems to take its air from different points than the K&B.

Will either brand give me a nicer sound, a little more power and better fuel mileage?

K&N claims ~15HP at ~4500RPM, this is probably BS but both filters must increase power even a little.

Cheers

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Claims are BS unless its actual track times. S&B has proven to drop track times I believe up to .4 tenths of a second with snorkal iirc. K&N will get you a lot of noise but no one has shown that you gain the actual 15hp.

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the K&N on my '14 Sport R/T when I first got it. About a month later went with the S&B and haven't looked back. The S&B is more of a cold air intake than the K&N. If you want loud, buy the K&N. If you want a great functional CAI, go with the S&B.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Yes to all of the above. K&N is a big name, but on these motors, they make more noise than power. You are much better off going with the S&B.

CaptJon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had 2 K&N kits on 2 other trucks and liked them just fine but decided on the S&B this time purely for aesthetic reasons. Outside of more noise on the K&N because of the open element I doubt I will see any discernable difference between the two myself but I will better judge that after install. I say pick the one that looks the best to you.

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the S&B for my '14 the build quality is great looks much better under the hood than the factory airbox. Not gaudy but a clean understated performance look. It added a nice throaty sound not annoying though.
I can't really tell if it added any power or fuel economy im running the standard diablo 93 tune as well. Keep in mind its a 5000+lb truck your not going to notice 10hp.
Also the extra snorkel/scoop people mentioned that is sold separatly for $99 doesn't fit the 13-14 S&B intake according to S&B's website.

OP
OP
MackayHFX

MackayHFX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I'm not looking to turn my truck into a rocket but I am planning to do the CAI now and exhaust in the summer, likely an MBRP or Magnaflow, haven't decided yet.

Looks like I'll get the S&B intake and thought about the Diablo 93 tune but the highest grade fuel I have available here is 91 (Low 87, Mid 89, High 91) so I'd rather not run that tune with 91 octane. I'm fueling up with midgrade 89 now as recommended by RAM.

Cheers

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
K&N is an open design--a noise maker. They don't seal well against the underside of the hood and as a result don't really provide cold air. They do make a lot of throttle noise. Too much IMHO--tooth rattling and conversation killing under load.

S&B prevents heat saturated air from entering by sucking through the fender (like the OEM) but also, if you so configure, through a second port near the bottom of the engine bay. The air down there has to be cooler than the underside of the hood--heat rises after all.

Both K&N and S&B offer a bigger surface air filter. That should provide better air flow, but the S&B--which I have run for two years now--is a big improvement over the K&N that I previously ran on a 4.7L Durango.

Truth be told, the VARARAM is probably the best intake for these Hemi engines even though I went with the S&B and am very happy with it.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I'm not looking to turn my truck into a rocket but I am planning to do the CAI now and exhaust in the summer, likely an MBRP or Magnaflow, haven't decided yet.

Looks like I'll get the S&B intake and thought about the Diablo 93 tune but the highest grade fuel I have available here is 91 (Low 87, Mid 89, High 91) so I'd rather not run that tune with 91 octane. I'm fueling up with midgrade 89 now as recommended by RAM.

Cheers
Running a 93 tune with 91 octane is how you can snap rods and melt pistons. Never use a tune that requires an octane level higher then the fuel you're using! Unlike diesel trucks you can't interchange the tunes whenever you feel like it. You can use tunes that require a lower octane level than you're using but never higher.

91 octane Hemifever Tune works awesome for me. I don't have 93 available in my area either

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
bringing up an old thread here but had the a question about the S&B/ K&N debate; looking to get one for my 17' ram.

my engine usually gets pretty dirty from driving on construction sites, would you guys recommend the S&B over the K&N for its enclosed case? thats my thought at least wondering if anyone has any more insight. thanks!

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put an s&b in my truck about a month ago. More throttle response for sure. As for sound, I can't hear a difference really at all. I do have a magnaflow exhaust so that's really all I hear.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
S and B hands down.....I also run the snorkel with a dry filter and a filter sock...got the whole setup from s and b!

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bringing up an old thread here but had the a question about the S&B/ K&N debate; looking to get one for my 17' ram.

my engine usually gets pretty dirty from driving on construction sites, would you guys recommend the S&B over the K&N for its enclosed case? thats my thought at least wondering if anyone has any more insight. thanks!

Either one will work great. I have the K&N and it is amazing, its loud at WOT and it made a big difference in performance.

My friend works at K&N and he said that all the dyno charts K&N posts on their site are 100% accurate, but I cant say that about other brands.

DrJones86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 for S&B. I have one in my truck, have only good things to say about it.