Knocking in bottom end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a knock after I start the truck in the morning. It seems to go away when I drive for a few minutes. Any ideas on what it could be? Does anybody else have this? It seems to be in the bottom end or transmission. I have tried to attach a video but I can't get it to load.

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a knock after I start the truck in the morning. It seems to go away when I drive for a few minutes. Any ideas on what it could be? Does anybody else have this? It seems to be in the bottom end or transmission. I have tried to attach a video but I can't get it to load.
Are you sure it's a knock and not a busted manifold or bolts causing an exhaust leak? I have an exhaust leak on the drivers manifold but it goes away after its warmed up. Not covered under warranty so I am waiting on some headers to repair it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's a 2014 I thought they fixed that problem by then. My 09 had the broken bolts and this sounds different.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From your description, 1 of 100 things. Sounds are damn near impossible to diagnose if not checking them in person. "Goes away when warm" and "from the bottom" narrow it down, but nowhere near enough to even make a good guess. It could even be a normal sound with that description.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure it's a knock and not a busted manifold or bolts causing an exhaust leak? I have an exhaust leak on the drivers manifold but it goes away after its warmed up. Not covered under warranty so I am waiting on some headers to repair it.

Are you saying you are under warranty and the dealer refused to fix it? Gaskets are absolutely warrantied items and not considered to fall under "wear items".

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The warranty explicitly states that it does not cover broken bolts which is what caused mine. The factory manifolds are giant heat sinks with no material to dissipate heat to so they expand like hell and break the bolts off.

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a 2014 I thought they fixed that problem by then. My 09 had the broken bolts and this sounds different.

Mine is a 13 and it happened to me while I was in Chicago on vacation in January.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The warranty explicitly states that it does not cover broken bolts which is what caused mine. The factory manifolds are giant heat sinks with no material to dissipate heat to so they expand like hell and break the bolts off.

Did the dealer tell you that? Because there is no exclusion, even if there was I would have said it emissions related which means they can't exclude it in any way.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/warranty/2013-Ram-Gas-Truck_15_25_35-Generic-Warranty-2nd.pdf

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I pretty sure I read that in mine, but now I may have been confused. It's going in in the morning for water leaking into my cab and strut that is leaking, so I'll bring it to their attention.

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the argument will be the labor behind the broken bolts, because it's not the manifold that is broken. Time will tell and I'll report accordingly.

Either way that's not how it works. Emissions is parts and labor, and since there is no exclusion for the bolt anyway, labor is covered under regular warranty.

But basically you're saying you never tried to get it covered because you thought you read bolts weren't covered?

dmills0130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either way that's not how it works. Emissions is parts and labor, and since there is no exclusion for the bolt anyway, labor is covered under regular warranty.

But basically you're saying you never tried to get it covered because you thought you read bolts weren't covered?
Precisely. I typically avoid dealerships because of the hassle

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the manifold bulletin is still out. If it is knock you may need to use a better fuel. The manual says to run 89 octane but 87 is okay, but I use 93 octane along with either royal purple or lucas octane boost with every fill up. I have the hemifever 93 octane high rev 180 stat custom tune.

OP
OP
StoneDude76

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Fuel not a issue. I run 93 Hemifever tune as well. I am taking it in tomorrow for this. Dealership will probably say one of two things. It's normal or could replicate it.