Lets discuss the true limitations of a 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
It seems like there are very few making any real power...I can probably count them on one hand.
Of those few at least one is tapping out because he can't keep a trans in the thing at just over 500 HP at the tires.
How many guys if any are keeping their stuff together at that level or higher?
What happened to that turbo truck out of Florida?

It looks like I may need to seriously reconsider my plans of heads, cam and a blower. Maybe just add the blower and see what comes later as far as transmissions that'll hold some power.
From what I read it looks like its the 2P downshifts that kill them.
Maybe a lower stall converter so it won't hit so hard? A centrifigul blower over a Magnuson so it won't make boost quite so hard and fast?
Can anyone tune out the 2P downshift? If you're north of 500 HP you can probably live without it anyway.

Thoughts?

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah, i have no idea what you said at that last part, but i feel that the newer dodges can hold more power than the 3rd gens.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
on the 3rd gens superchips was able to get rid of the 2P downshift, so i would imagine it will eventually be done on 4th gens

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it seems like there are very few making any real power...i can probably count them on one hand.
Of those few at least one is tapping out because he can't keep a trans in the thing at just over 500 hp at the tires.
How many guys if any are keeping their stuff together at that level or higher?
What happened to that turbo truck out of florida?

It looks like i may need to seriously reconsider my plans of heads, cam and a blower. Maybe just add the blower and see what comes later as far as transmissions that'll hold some power.
From what i read it looks like its the 2p downshifts that kill them.
Maybe a lower stall converter so it won't hit so hard? A centrifigul blower over a magnuson so it won't make boost quite so hard and fast?
Can anyone tune out the 2p downshift? If you're north of 500 hp you can probably live without it anyway.

Thoughts?

the transmission is what i think is the biggest downfall to these trucks anyone making any sort of high power seems to blow them very easily. Im used to working with chevy trucks to where if you blow a transmission you upgrade it to something stronger and problem fixed but with dodge there doesent seem to be anything that can handle power besides the 6 speed standard transmission. Another part is tuning no matter what dodge has always been behind on tuning

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The automatic Ram slaps behind these nice motors is a flipping joke. I completely agree that the engine isn't the issue. I feel a 6M swap is really the only corrective path forward.

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Someday I hope Mopar will give the option to build what you want how you want it.
Not offering the 6MT in a 1500 is just ridiculous.

While we're at it, how about the 392?

TheBlackHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only option I see is if they hit a home run with the new 8speed other than that if you wanna go fast (and stay fast) you better have enough saved in your piggy bank for a spare tranny or two. LOL

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Like I mentioned in an different thread, dropping an already mated (to A hemi) manual tranny in these seems like a no brainer from a manufacturing/marketing/engineering perspective.

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
or u can go to a builder and get a unit built. some high energy clutches TC, shift kit and you should be good to go, that is if they have parts for these pos trannys yet

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Dodge has never been know for a strong transmission, its seem they can't build one to save their life.

This was even true way before the line up of hemis'.

Regards
Don

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Hmmmm....now why didn't I think about having a transmission built?

Oh wait....I did. LOL

I talked to ATS again today and sent an email to Arrington about theirs tonight.
I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from ATS that theirs will last.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
are there any aftermarket automatic tansmissions that would be able to handle the Hemi and little bit better?
I feel if you got such a good engine under the hood that can produce 345 hp for 3rd genreation and almost 400 for 4th generation it would be worth getting a high quality transmission

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked to ATS again today and sent an email to Arrington about theirs tonight.
I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from ATS that theirs will last.

I've heard good and terrible things about ATS. The more recent things being on the terrible side.

:burnout: What a fun smilie...

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
or u can go to a builder and get a unit built. some high energy clutches TC, shift kit and you should be good to go, that is if they have parts for these pos trannys yet

theres been plenty of people destroy "built" transmissions. there is one transmission that lasted forever behind a 3rd gen that was a stroker, nitrous, and boost build but then it blew and he went with a 6 speed standard

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you could get a nag1 to work in a ram i think that would solve the transmission problem since they have no problem standing up to the beatings they get in all the lx cars and the srt8 jeeps

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about the Sharadon trannys that are out there? would they hold up?

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Theyll last more then the stock ones but theyre not bullet proof

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, this is a bummer.... i guess i never knew that the Ram trannys weren't very reliable.