Lets discuss the true limitations of a 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wow, this is a bummer.... i guess i never knew that the Ram trannys weren't very reliable.

yea a guy here in houston that i know used to have probably the fastest na 5.7 ram in texas and when the motor gave up he built a 426 stroker but ended up giving up and selling the motor because the tranny's would not last he blew an ats really easy too

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
theres been plenty of people destroy "built" transmissions. there is one transmission that lasted forever behind a 3rd gen that was a stroker, nitrous, and boost build but then it blew and he went with a 6 speed standard

alot of this has to do with the builder and tune. my old built 4l80 lasted me over 137,000 km with 10 psi which was DD. and to my knowing the guy that bought the truck still hasnt had any problems. im sure any real quality builder can make a unit last for a desent amount of time.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
You can't compare the 2 really, a 4L80 has more support and has been around for years whereas these things are newer with very little aftermarket support.
I had a 48RE in my last truck for close to 3 years and 60,000 miles that saw over 1600 ftlbs of torque through it....never missed a lick. Unfortunately I can't just bolt one of those into this truck.

Sidenote...
I got my full and final quote from Arrington today. After making a couple of last minute changes and adding a couple of things it's $18,900 for everythign I want done, installed and out the door. Shipping to and from Va not included but that'll probably only run 500 bucks each way.

That's heads, cam, blower, trans, converter, fuel system, install, dyno tune....the whole nine yards.
That's a lotta money for 470 hp.....

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I intend to supercharge my truck someday but I am not worried about the transmission if you change the fluid and use tow/haul when you should I don't see why it would not last. I tow all the time and never have problems so I don't get what the fuss is about granted I won't be pushing over 500 ever but really I mean the trans is built for the engine that came in the truck not something someone might put in it somewhere. People want fuel economy and you can't get it putting a semi truck trans in a 1500.

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I intend to supercharge my truck someday but I am not worried about the transmission if you change the fluid and use tow/haul when you should I don't see why it would not last. I tow all the time and never have problems so I don't get what the fuss is about granted I won't be pushing over 500 ever but really I mean the trans is built for the engine that came in the truck not something someone might put in it somewhere. People want fuel economy and you can't get it putting a semi truck trans in a 1500.

i get what your saying but with more power, heat generated while hard driving, and weight no stock tranny is gonna last. even in the motor is stock, tranny can take a puke at anytime. these dodges are heavy and as fussy as a 90lbs super model:emotions36:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i get what your saying but with more power, heat generated while hard driving, and weight no stock tranny is gonna last. even in the motor is stock, tranny can take a puke at anytime. these dodges are heavy and as fussy as a 90lbs super model:emotions36:

Haha too funny I think that is why I like the 4th gen so much the tranny cooler means business I can tow anything even in traffic and it always keeps it cool plus with EVIC I feel like I know what is going on with the vehicle at all times.

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Knowing what's going on and a cool running trans means exactly jack **** the first time you do a WOT 2nd Prime downshift and the clutches turn into jello instantly. LOL

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well I did not buy my truck to race it like some Lamborghini. I want it to tow which it does. For those that want to race get a manual.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wait you can't get a manual :(

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I know next to nothing about these trannys but if a person can drop a 6.1 motor in and mate it to the stock tranny why couldn't the guts of a SRT tranny be swapped into the case so it works w 4wd?

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'm sure your trans will live forever behind a blower. I mean....somebody has to be the first, might as well be you. Once you make it live a long happy life with a blower beating on it you can tell the rest of us your secrets. LOL

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I know next to nothing about these trannys but if a person can drop a 6.1 motor in and mate it to the stock tranny why couldn't the guts of a SRT tranny be swapped into the case so it works w 4wd?

SRT what? The 5 and 6 speeds in the trucks are nothing like the automatics in the cars. The SRT10 used a 48RE diesel trans so that's out.
A 6 speed standard would be a lotta fun....I wonder if anyone has done it in a 4th Gen?
Did any of these things even come as a manual? There's a clutch knock out on the firewall but I've never seen a standard truck? It would be really interesting if the shifter would magically hit the same spot on the console.

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
SRT what? The 5 and 6 speeds in the trucks are nothing like the automatics in the cars. The SRT10 used a 48RE diesel trans so that's out.
A 6 speed standard would be a lotta fun....I wonder if anyone has done it in a 4th Gen?
Did any of these things even come as a manual? There's a clutch knock out on the firewall but I've never seen a standard truck? It would be really interesting if the shifter would magically hit the same spot on the console.

The Jeep for instance? Like I said I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this area.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
none of the 4th gens came in manual as far as i know and the jeep trans yall are talking about is what i mentioned earlier its a nag1 and as far as what was said earlier saying its the builder and tuner well thats correct for chevy and 4l80s stock can handle alot more power then what we have as a tranny but we just dont have the tuning abilities that chevy has or the parts like them but maybe now that arrington is going to be tuning and are supposed to be able to have better tuning capabilities then others theyll be able to make these transmissions last longer

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
alot of this has to do with the builder and tune. my old built 4l80 lasted me over 137,000 km with 10 psi which was DD. and to my knowing the guy that bought the truck still hasnt had any problems. im sure any real quality builder can make a unit last for a desent amount of time.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

as far as quality builders i know plenty i have friends with 10 second chevy trucks that are driven hard everyday and have no transmission problems and those same people have built dodge transmissions and they just cant handle power the 545 is just a junk transmission. sharadon knows what theyre doing with dodge they have the first non srt truck in the 10s and theyre transmission lasted a long while but it also gave up so they ended up going with a t56

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
holy cow 10's!!!!!!!

10s in a chevy are like 11s on a dodge unfortunately it is easier to make a chevy go that fast then it is on a dodge and of course theres the 9 and 8 second couple out there too

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
on the 3rd gens superchips was able to get rid of the 2P downshift, so i would imagine it will eventually be done on 4th gens

After a quick search I found this....... Basically you change the shift points so that the 3-2nd prime downshift is under the 3-2 shift MPH wise for each throttle position point. Lets say the 3-2 downshift point at 100% throttle is 65 mph and the 3-2nd prime downshift point at 100% throttle is 75 mph. That is the highest speed it will downshift into the gear. If you take the 2nd prime downshift to 64 mph, it will either downshift into 2nd if you are under 65 mph or stay in 3rd. You lose a gear, but better lose the gear than the transmission.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf