Let's Talk Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First off, this information is based on my experience in the Canadian market.
I don’t know how this relates to U.S. regulations, but I’m guessing you’ll eventually go the same route south of the border - if you haven’t already.

I should also mention that I only ever fill my truck with premium fuel (91 or 92 octane).
Those who use regular will obviously have different experiences.

About 6 months ago I noticed a sudden drop in fuel mileage in my truck. By about 1.5mpg on average.
After some experimenting and doing a little research, I've figured out it is the ethanol content in my fuel that is causing the issue.

All regular and mid-grade fuel (87 to 90 octane) sold in Canada contains ethanol. However premium fuel (91 or 92 octane) has historically not contained any.
This has been changing slowly over the last few years. Almost all premium fuel sold in Canada now contains ethanol as well.
The only exception I’m aware of is Shell 91 octane. ALL super premium (94 octane) contains ethanol.

If I fill up at a Shell station I average 18mpg combined. If I fill up anywhere else I average much less.
At some stations I end up as low as 16.5mpg combined. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Even if you fill up with regular fuel, you may want to keep an eye on your mileage over the next couple of years.
Refiners have been quietly increasing ethanol content behind the scenes, and most people even don't realize it. In fact if you do a little research, you'll notice that most fuel providers no longer list their ethanol content for each fuel grade.

The fact is, that while ethanol content in gasoline is purported to burn "cleaner", it actually burns less efficiently which results in reduced fuel mileage.

Some jurisdictions legislate there be a “minimum annual average” percentage of ethanol in gasoline sold (all facilities combined). And although there is a general quality standard, the law does not dictate a maximum percentage allowable.

Why is this troubling?

Ethanol is a cheap way to increase octane. As a result, most refiners are now greatly exceeding the 5% requirement because it represents a cost savings for them.
In fact, most fuel suppliers are currently posting a 10% ethanol blend, with some organizations pushing for an increase to 20%.

Newer engines are designed to handle some ethanol content.
There is some debate about this, but generally you’re looking at about 15% before damage to valves and valve seats can occur (of course this doesn't include E85 engines).
Older engines and small engines (lawnmowers etc.) are typically not designed for any ethanol content. Unfortunately there appear to be very few options left in these cases.

For now I'll keep on using Shell 91 octane in my truck, and maybe even in my lawnmower too.

*Note - When I'm in the States, I find I get decent mileage with BP fuel. Not quite as good as Shell, but close. Haven't done any research on their products yet.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I live in the tristate area and everything is ethanol. I haven't run ethanol gas sons 08. You are correct, you loose about 1.5 mpg.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That dude is bad ass!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I did a similar test/research of the fuel brands/octanes in my area when I bought my Ram...My conclusion was that my 6.4 runs the best for everyday work use in city driving conditions is EXXON 87...I have a Pure Gas station 1 mile from my house, and filled up a few times there with 89 and the truck did not like it as the mpg's dropped...On the highway I can squeak out a few extra mpg's if I run 91, but IMO it's not worth the addition coin...BTW...The local Citgo stations were the worst for mpg's...

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, this information is based on my experience in the Canadian market.
I don’t know how this relates to U.S. regulations, but I’m guessing you’ll eventually go the same route south of the border - if you haven’t already.

I should also mention that I only ever fill my truck with premium fuel (91 or 92 octane).
Those who use regular will obviously have different experiences.

About 6 months ago I noticed a sudden drop in fuel mileage in my truck. By about 1.5mpg on average.
After some experimenting and doing a little research, I've figured out it is the ethanol content in my fuel that is causing the issue.

All regular and mid-grade fuel (87 to 90 octane) sold in Canada contains ethanol. However premium fuel (91 or 92 octane) has historically not contained any.
This has been changing slowly over the last few years. Almost all premium fuel sold in Canada now contains ethanol as well.
The only exception I’m aware of is Shell 91 octane. ALL super premium (94 octane) contains ethanol.

If I fill up at a Shell station I average 18mpg combined. If I fill up anywhere else I average much less.
At some stations I end up as low as 16.5mpg combined. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Even if you fill up with regular fuel, you may want to keep an eye on your mileage over the next couple of years.
Refiners have been quietly increasing ethanol content behind the scenes, and most people even don't realize it. In fact if you do a little research, you'll notice that most fuel providers no longer list their ethanol content for each fuel grade.

The fact is, that while ethanol content in gasoline is purported to burn "cleaner", it actually burns less efficiently which results in reduced fuel mileage.

Some jurisdictions legislate there be a “minimum annual average” percentage of ethanol in gasoline sold (all facilities combined). And although there is a general quality standard, the law does not dictate a maximum percentage allowable.

Why is this troubling?

Ethanol is a cheap way to increase octane. As a result, most refiners are now greatly exceeding the 5% requirement because it represents a cost savings for them.
In fact, most fuel suppliers are currently posting a 10% ethanol blend, with some organizations pushing for an increase to 20%.

Newer engines are designed to handle some ethanol content.
There is some debate about this, but generally you’re looking at about 15% before damage to valves and valve seats can occur (of course this doesn't include E85 engines).
Older engines and small engines (lawnmowers etc.) are typically not designed for any ethanol content. Unfortunately there appear to be very few options left in these cases.

For now I'll keep on using Shell 91 octane in my truck, and maybe even in my lawnmower too.

*Note - When I'm in the States, I find I get decent mileage with BP fuel. Not quite as good as Shell, but close. Haven't done any research on their products yet.
Your correct on the ethanol thing.. I only fill Jerry cans with Shell V-power or Canadian tire 91 ( also E-free).. all my small engines run this only, and I haven't done any carb work on anything I own for 5 years now.

But I don't know why your wasting money using 91 all the time.. you will get the same mileage running 87.. unless your towing, then the E-free 91 will be beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Not to be a ass but this is old news, have not seen a gas station around here in years that do not run ethanol in their fuel and most is 15% to 20% lucky to even find one that states only 10% no matter the grade.
Would be nice to go back to just fuel but pretty sure thats not happening any time soon.

Got a buddy that runs E85 in everything he has and I mean everything and has had zero problems from it.
Last I knew his none ethanol 98 chevy has over 300k running e85 with zero issues.

Not a ethanol fan, not trying to come off like a ass, I run 89 oct and fill up at what ever gas station I am close to when my truck hits 1/8 or so. lol

It is what it is.

Last edited:

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to be a ass but this is old news, have not seen a gas station around here in years that do not run ethanol in their fuel and most is 15% to 20% lucky to even find one that states only 10% no matter the grade.
Would be nice to go back to just fuel but pretty sure thats not happening any time soon.

Got a buddy that runs E85 in everything he has and I mean everything and has had zero problems from it.
Last I knew his none ethanol 98 chevy has over 300k running e85 with zero issues.

Not a ethanol fan, not trying to come off like a ass, I run 89 oct and fill up at what ever gas station I am close to when my truck hits 1/8 or so. lol

It is what it is.
Well e85 have an octane equivalent of well over 100 (it's 85% alcohol) so if your engine is not designed for it you will have issue(misfire) since it might not ignite on every stroke. My Lexus ls400 recommended 91 and tried 94 for a while, but when cold the engine would have a hard time to start and spit black smoke out of the exhaust(unburnt fuel)

If your equipment is not designed to run Exx, your rubber fuel hose will start to dry out because of the ethanol.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Guess you missed the part where I stated my buddy runs e85 in everything he has, lawn mower ,weed eater, chain saw, atvs, and all his cars and none of them are made to run e85. Truck has over 300k and has always been on e85.

Ran e85 in my 06 5.3 a few times as well, truck ran just fine, used more fuel ofcourse.

IMO knowing this info it does not worry me to run 15% every day.
just some info to think about as well.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the vehicle you are putting it in.
My crotch rocket and my sled only got shell or chevron 91 -
Bike once got 105 or 108 octane from VP

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
We are having the same economy issues here in Florida

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Depends on the vehicle you are putting it in.
My crotch rocket and my sled only got shell or chevron 91 -
Bike once got 105 or 108 octane from VP

i wish i could still get chevron near me.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ethanol is such a joke. The power of lobbying i guess. I have a couple of ethanol free gas stations in my area. It costs about 20 cents a gallon more, but I average about 10 percent better mileage. Its the only gas i use for my boat/lawnmower. I usually use it for my truck too.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess you missed the part where I stated my buddy runs e85 in everything he has, lawn mower ,weed eater, chain saw, atvs, and all his cars and none of them are made to run e85. Truck has over 300k and has always been on e85.

Ran e85 in my 06 5.3 a few times as well, truck ran just fine, used more fuel ofcourse.

IMO knowing this info it does not worry me to run 15% every day.
just some info to think about as well.

Well I didn't miss it, but you don't seem to understand the issue. Yeah I've run E10 in my small engines for years until their fuel system started to leak... Now I've rebuilt all of them and run only ethanol free in them.

There are four problems with ethanol: (source)

1.) It is corrosive when in contact with certain materials in fuel storage and delivery systems, including some rubber compounds and the zinc and aluminum alloys used in carburetors.

2.) Because it is an alcohol, ethanol dries out the rubber components in a fuel system. This leads to cracking and brittle fuel lines, floats, seals and diaphragms.

3.) Ethanol is hygroscopic – it likes water. Water enters fuel containers when they are filled up. Once in the gasoline, it forms a chemical mix that causes corrosion of internal parts. As the fuel level in a tank or container drops, water condenses on the cool surfaces of the vessel, drops and runs down into the fuel where the ethanol welcomes it.

4.) It acts as a solvent in older engines, dissolving the varnish and other deposits in tanks and lines. These then are carried to the carburetor or injection system where they can clog the small orifices involved.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I understand the issue.

1) for the most part I have not see anything other then jets in the carbs plug up and only after settimg for months.
My buddy (again) runs e85 which should be even worse than just e10 and has not had any problems and has been running it for years.

2)This is only true for old stuff that was made years ago, I have old weed eaters, chain saw and various other small motors that have not had any problems with e15 fuels unless they set for a long time and then its only the jets that plug up.

3) Yes you need to use sealed gas cans with ethanol fuels no question.
One thing I learned though is ethanol will mix with the water and will go through the motor and burn with the fuel to where it wont mix with gas and will make your car run like crap .

4) I used e85 to clean the fuel system out on my 69 k10, worked great to break loose all the crap in the fuel lines and the rust in the tank. Went through 3 fuel filters in 200 miles and now that its cleaned out I have the same filter for 3 years now.

Yeah it can/does suck no question but there is nothing we can do about it unless you know something I dont.

Would be nice if we could just sign a petition and after so many names they would stop using it but I dont see that happening..