Votes: 11 32.4%
  • 3.55 with 6 speed

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 3.92 with 6 speed

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.. if running a different ratio post combo

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish I had 3.92 over the 3.21 with the 8 speed. I can deal with the 3.21 as long as it doesn't put a lot of strain on my tranny and motor over time and make them fail early. I still have to get use to the low of a gear. It seems from what I read that as long as I have the 8 speed tranny the 3.21 are perfect for 35" tires and 6" lift. Hopefully it holds true

You're fine. When your cruising down the highway at 1700 RPM.. it's 1700RPM regardless what's behind you. It woudln't matter if you're towing 10k pounds, your engine RPM is what the " load is ". If the high RPM's are constant in order to keep the truck moving, then you're likely going to have a fault earlier than if you didn't. That's actually a benefit to the 3.21 gear ratio. In 8th gear, at 75MPH, you're sitting at about 1550 - 1600 RPMS.. the 3.92 can't do that :) Granted... that's about the only " benefit " you get, but you're certainly not losing, the 8 speed makes up for ANY difference you could possibly come up with.

That's why it's so hard to use 8th gear with 3.21 gears. The torque at 1700RPM is so small, going up even the slightest hill requires you to downshift. Hence why a few people don't like the 3.21's. It's all about perception, 1st gear is geared so low, it's honestly a moot point, you'll take off at the line just as fast as any other chevy :p

OP
OP
H3MI UP

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're fine. When your cruising down the highway at 1700 RPM.. it's 1700RPM regardless what's behind you. It woudln't matter if you're towing 10k pounds, your engine RPM is what the " load is ". If the high RPM's are constant in order to keep the truck moving, then you're likely going to have a fault earlier than if you didn't. That's actually a benefit to the 3.21 gear ratio. In 8th gear, at 75MPH, you're sitting at about 1550 - 1600 RPMS.. the 3.92 can't do that :) Granted... that's about the only " benefit " you get, but you're certainly not losing, the 8 speed makes up for ANY difference you could possibly come up with.

That's why it's so hard to use 8th gear with 3.21 gears. The torque at 1700RPM is so small, going up even the slightest hill requires you to downshift. Hence why a few people don't like the 3.21's. It's all about perception, 1st gear is geared so low, it's honestly a moot point, you'll take off at the line just as fast as any other chevy :p

Man i sure hope you are right

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick snipit, all HWY heading from ATL to Charlotte. Truck is historically off by 1.3 MPG's so that's atleast 18.2 mpg........

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 53

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The issue comes you are not at all in the sweet spot at that low of RPM unless you solely want MPG. As you stated there is not a lot going on at 1700 so you always have to down shift. A transmission hunting is a worn out transmission. That is why I regeared my 5/6 speed to 4.56 when it was 3.55 it liked to downshift all the time. Annoying and recipe for a dead transmission. With the 4.56 I don't get as good of mileage but power is right there all the time. If I recall the ratio on the 8 speed is the same in 8 as a 5/6 would be in 5 or "6" therefore the 8 speed doesn't help ok highway as much as it helps in takeoff from a ratio perspective. I would think an 8 speed truck with 4.56 would be an animal with so much torque it would be hard to contain no matter the tire size. Anyone out there have that setup?

I personally would enjoy the 3.92 or 3.55 with 8 speed more than the 3.21 as I just think that ratio is not for the folks towing at max or even over like so many people do out there.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
The issue comes you are not at all in the sweet spot at that low of RPM unless you solely want MPG. As you stated there is not a lot going on at 1700 so you always have to down shift. A transmission hunting is a worn out transmission. That is why I regeared my 5/6 speed to 4.56 when it was 3.55 it liked to downshift all the time. Annoying and recipe for a dead transmission. With the 4.56 I don't get as good of mileage but power is right there all the time. If I recall the ratio on the 8 speed is the same in 8 as a 5/6 would be in 5 or "6" therefore the 8 speed doesn't help ok highway as much as it helps in takeoff from a ratio perspective. I would think an 8 speed truck with 4.56 would be an animal with so much torque it would be hard to contain no matter the tire size. Anyone out there have that setup?

I personally would enjoy the 3.92 or 3.55 with 8 speed more than the 3.21 as I just think that ratio is not for the folks towing at max or even over like so many people do out there.

The gear ratios recently came to my radar. I also have the 3.21 and will be installing 35s with 17" (stock 33s with 20"). It sounds like the 3.21 is an issue if I am towing heavy loads or close to max towing capacity.

Does going on a steep inclined affect the performance? Does the "lighter" wheels help?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
4.5", 35's and 3.21/8 speed.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No sir, I had the wheels almost before I got the truck. I new I was lifting no matter what. I don't drive a ton.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The gear ratios recently came to my radar. I also have the 3.21 and will be installing 35s with 17" (stock 33s with 20"). It sounds like the 3.21 is an issue if I am towing heavy loads or close to max towing capacity.

Does going on a steep inclined affect the performance? Does the "lighter" wheels help?

I would say lighter is always going to be better as any weight added will have some impact. When you go to 35 you will notice some sluggishness at the jump. If you have the 8 speed it can overcome that better then the 5/6 speed could because 1st gear is better suited for it. I had the old transmission and I didn’t care for the sluggish hole shot. The rig I have now has some of that too as their is no way to get that jump without a lot more torque or a gear swap.

The issue I ran into with the relatively small rear end is it couldn’t handle the bigger gears and towing as well as I thought it would. I think I ended up going through a few sets in that rear end and it never was as smooth as the factor setup. If I had to do it again I would buy the gears I wanted from the lot and I would regear on 2500 or bigger but not on the 1500 as that 9.25 rear is just not heavy duty enough for me.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run 34s on both my trucks. 6spd and 3.92 and 8spd and 3.92. My trucks spend a lot of time off road so I prefer a little less stress on the driveline with the extra mechanical advantage. I have driven a couple with 35s and 3.21. The difference is pretty noticeable to me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
The issue I ran into with the relatively small rear end is it couldn’t handle the bigger gears and towing as well as I thought it would.

What did you mean by "bigger gears"?

Most of the examples I'm reading on this topic significantly increase in tire size (29s to 35s). I'm wondering if 33s to 35s is THAT much different that the 3.21 will have an issue (this is what Im trying to confirm).

I also found the formula to calculate the ideal gear ratio. It came out to be 3.41. I'm wondering if that warrants it for me to at least re-gear to 3.55???

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I run 34s on both my trucks. 6spd and 3.92 and 8spd and 3.92. My trucks spend a lot of time off road so I prefer a little less stress on the driveline with the extra mechanical advantage. I have driven a couple with 35s and 3.21. The difference is pretty noticeable to me.

Do you consider the noticeable differences to be a problem? A problem that should be addressed asap? I guess what I'm really trying to say is, can I re-gear say, 6 months from now and in the meantime still get into light offroading? Should I expect problems with it?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you consider the noticeable differences to be a problem? A problem that should be addressed asap? I guess what I'm really trying to say is, can I re-gear say, 6 months from now and in the meantime still get into light offroading? Should I expect problems with it?
It didn't give me the impression it was any kind of problem. Just didn't respond as quickly as the 3.92 getting going. If you're not towing often or off road a lot I don't think there's a reason to change them at all. If it was me I'd have bought the 3.92 off the lot, which I did. In your shoes I'd probably leave it and either re gear if I need a rebuild down the road and I planned to keep it a long time or get a 3.92 the next truck if you change trucks every few years like some guys and enjoy what you have for now.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What did you mean by "bigger gears"?

Most of the examples I'm reading on this topic significantly increase in tire size (29s to 35s). I'm wondering if 33s to 35s is THAT much different that the 3.21 will have an issue (this is what Im trying to confirm).

I also found the formula to calculate the ideal gear ratio. It came out to be 3.41. I'm wondering if that warrants it for me to at least re-gear to 3.55???

Numerically higher gears are harder to fit in the diff because the ring gear gets really thick while pinion gear gets small. The max I could fit in was 4.56 because of this and the issues I ran into was the pinion bearings would wear out quicker probably because there was more heat with increased rpm. I had many issues from shops messing things up including the dealer. Had part of the carrier break off. It was a **** show. I got sick of it and it made me not like the whole decision to do it in the long run. That being said my Dad has almost the same pickup and the same stock 3.55s came in it and they went out around 100k as well so maybe it is just the 9.25 that is an issue not just when regeared. 33s to 35s is what I did and between that and towing I didn’t like the 3.55 and the 5/6 speed. I hated the down shifting when towing. It did okay in 4th and once the load was moving. 3.92 and 8 speed is very nice good on takeoff and nice riding on highway too. You can indeed use the calculator.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
It didn't give me the impression it was any kind of problem. Just didn't respond as quickly as the 3.92 getting going. If you're not towing often or off road a lot I don't think there's a reason to change them at all. If it was me I'd have bought the 3.92 off the lot, which I did. In your shoes I'd probably leave it and either re gear if I need a rebuild down the road and I planned to keep it a long time or get a 3.92 the next truck if you change trucks every few years like some guys and enjoy what you have for now.

I like to think that I will not be trading my truck in the near future. My goal was to keep it in the long run so I wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing as I make modifications. Unfortunately, I was not educated on gearing when I bought the truck so I am stuck with a 4x4 and 3.21 gears.

It seems like there's a possibility to re-gear in the future. Question is, how long can I hold off while running 35s without compromising the life of the truck? I may be able to deal with the sluggish start as I do have a hybrid vehicle so Im used to it by now lol.