Liked Flowmaster 50HD have some questions before I buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all had a few questions about the muffler I am looking at.
As mentioned in the title of this thread I am looking at the Flowmaster 50HD series and was wondering if this would be a good pick for my Ram 2500. It will be a single in and single out.

I have people telling me I would lose power and gain power and if so how much would I lose or gain?

If none of you guys like the Flowmasters at all can you tell me what is a good company to go with that makes the truck sound good while towing and unloaded?

I liked the sound of the Flowmaster 50HD series because it was not too loud and not too quiet and it sounded like something it was instead of something that it was not so if Flowmaster 50HD series is not good then is there one like it?

Thanks

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Dunno! Others will chime in, but I am Happy with Magnaflow 18" as not too loud and at 2500 RPM on the Highway I can listen to tunes and have a conversation with the Wife or even the Dog!

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't get a flowmaster. They don't flow very good and rust fast. Magnaflow is a much better brand to go with.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i had the 50 series on a 2000 silverado with the 5.3, very mello cruising at idle but wake up nicely when towing or whaling on it

autobred

Reaction score
Ram Year
sold* 10' R/T..13' R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noved, flowmaster offers stainless steel mufflers know also right? I had the 40 series that came with my catback exhaust on my other truck. To me it was way loud and droned like no tomorrow. I yanked it out and put the 70 series in and loved it but that muffler deteriorated within 3 years due to not being stainless steel. I run the 22" magnaflow in my present truck. If you insist on flowmaster which I think makes a truck sound like a muscle car, at least spring for the stainless steel mufflers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHCWZbSWJx8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noved

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well since you guys went away from Flowmaster and advised against it I stopped looking at them. Now I am looking for a Magnaflow muffler to go with my 2500 Hemi. I found a clip of what it sounds like inside the cab while accelerating and it sounds pretty good.

YouTube - To The Rug

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have a 2011 hemi Ram regular cab 2 wheel drive 392 gears, k and n drop in superchips flashpack on 87 tune and hd 50 single exhaust. Truck runs great. picked up 6 tenths went from 14.6 to 14.2@ 9 mph. did fiter first, little improvement, exhaust and felt difference. Tune made it all work together and also raised shift points to 6,000 rpm.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn't get a flowmaster. They don't flow very good and rust fast. Magnaflow is a much better brand to go with.
I have a flowmaster 50HD on my truck for the last three years and hardly any rust at all. I live in PA so they salt the roads. Never had any issues with rust on any of my trucks with flowmaster.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Different truck gen and different engine talking here so my opinion isn't as weighty as everyone with yalls Hemis

When I was looking for me a muffler I started looking at flowmasters myself, in fact I almost pulled the trigger on a flowmaster 50HD like you're describing. Then I started looking into magnaflows, and I didn't consider a flowmaster again. Overall I'm really happy, the 13" magnaflow gave my V6 some noise while not being annoyingly loud or giving a drone.

If you go for a magnaflow, you would probably want a longer muffler, someone said they had the 18", because the hemi will put out much more noise than my V6 does.

lchron36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 ST 5.7
I have had the flowmaster 50hd on my truck since 2015. Actually, let me edit that, I am now on my second flowmaster 50hd on my 2500. I got three years out of the first one then it rusted through. I also live in PA, and I do wash the undercarriage of my truck throughout the winter to get the salt off. But it still rusted through at the outlet of the muffler. I like the sound which is why I went with it again. Its mellow when I'm cruising on my 800 mile drives, and when I stand it in you can tell its there. Outside of the truck sounds louder than what you hear in the cab which surprised me. For me its the exact sound I was looking for.

The thing I don't like is that the 3 inch offset in center out 50hd is only offered in aluminized. I will never understand that because this is supposed to be a heavy duty built muffler. If they offered this exact one I used in stainless I would be super happy with the product.

I noticed no "power loss" or anything like that via my butt dyno. Truck still pulls and drive the same as far as I can tell. Until it is verified on a rolling dyno I cannot soundly claim any losses or gains in hp or torque. So I will make no speculations there without sufficient evidence.

The magnaflows and other stainless mufflers will last much longer. So if you live in a rust belt area, and are looking for a longer lasting muffler, I would not recommend the 50HD, unless its the sound you want. I almost went to a stainless 40, but really wasnt sure if there would be any drone on the highway, so I played it safe and went with what I knew wouldn't drone in my personal application.

Good luck on your muffler choice since there are so many options on the market today.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have said it before in other threads, I have a Magnaflow catback and I do love it. BUT for just a muffler swap my buddy has a Pypes muffler kit. It would be my choice for muffler swap. Sounds amazing with no drone and it's stainless too, priced right as well. And with everyone running Magnaflows, Flowmasters, Carvens, or muffler deletes, it isn't too common, cool to have that rare sound. And it does sound badass on the throttle.
Again, this is coming from a very happy Magnaflow owner.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well since you guys went away from Flowmaster and advised against it I stopped looking at them. Now I am looking for a Magnaflow muffler to go with my 2500 Hemi. I found a clip of what it sounds like inside the cab while accelerating and it sounds pretty good.

YouTube - To The Rug

You may also want to consider Borla Pro XS. It sounds similar to Magnaflow, but doesn't have the cabin drone. I've had both and the Borla wins hands down. Sound volume is middle of the road, not too loud, not too quiet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye