Liqui-moly mos2 and Penzoil Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck only has 2700 miles on it and sounds great still running on the factory oil.

I am considering PP 5w20 and using a can of the liqui-moly mos2 at about the 5000 mile mark.
Would this be a good way to go for the 5.7 HEMI?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just used the liquid Moly MOS2 additive and it has quieted my hemi down. I'll b adding it with every oil change now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just used the liquid Moly MOS2 additive and it has quieted my hemi down. I'll b adding it with every oil change now.

Just curious, what does the oil look like right after you change it and use the Moly?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, what does the oil look like right after you change it and use the Moly?

Ill add to that...how much did you use?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I followed what they recommend. If I remember it was a bottle and like a quarter. Haven't changed the oil yet but on the dipstick it looks a little gray now. But I can say my Hemi now is smooth and ALOT quieter.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I followed what they recommend. If I remember it was a bottle and like a quarter. Haven't changed the oil yet but on the dipstick it looks a little gray now. But I can say my Hemi now is smooth and ALOT quieter.

Do you have the ECO mode on your truck and did the moly affect it?

I used to use Lucas Oil stabilizer on my 3.9L Dakota I contacted Lucas and they said not to use it on my 6.4L because it would affect the ECO mode.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck only has 2700 miles on it and sounds great still running on the factory oil.

I am considering PP 5w20 and using a can of the liqui-moly mos2 at about the 5000 mile mark.
Would this be a good way to go for the 5.7 HEMI?

If that would be my strategy, I would use the PP 5w20 first and see how loud or not my engine was before adding Mos2. I would think about going up to 5w30 in PP or PUP as well. These GtL bases seam to leave many hemi's a little on the loud side. Great oil, but 5w20 is already super thin at operating temps and the GtL seams to even feel thinner then the other group 3's. PP and PUP already has organic moly in the formula, adding powdered moly in suspension would make the oil a silver/green type hue. If the dealer was to change it and note it it may be an issue later on in warranty. So if you use that moly, maybe change your own oil and keep receipts, omit the receipt for the Mos2 if there is an issue. Lubeguard biotech is also moly treat that doesn't change the oil color, it is the same moly in PP in the first place, just more of it.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you have the ECO mode on your truck and did the moly affect it?

I used to use Lucas Oil stabilizer on my 3.9L Dakota I contacted Lucas and they said not to use it on my 6.4L because it would affect the ECO mode.
ECO mode doesn't seem to be effected. It actually seems to engage smoother. I tried PP and it didn't help with the clatter my hemi makes. For now on I'm doing the yellow bottle with the MOS-2 added.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my first oil change from the FF, I used PUP 5W-30 straight. No noticeable change in engine smoothness, tho my oil pressures were a bit higher than with the FF at all RPM levels.

On my 2nd oil change I used a can of the Liqui-Moly with Amsoil SS 5W-30 mixed with a quart of Amsoil SS 0W-40. Engine was noticeably smoother, tho honestly no way to tell if it was due to the slightly higher than 5W-30 viscosity of my mix, the Liqui-Moly, or both. Engine oil was a dark grey after adding the Liqui-moly.

Currently running Castrol (Euro) 0W-40 with a full dose of Lubeguard biotech, and the engine is smoother still. Have just under 3K miles on the Castrol/Lubeguard now. Engine is smooth as glass with no audible noises (ticks, or anything else).

My plan is to run the Castrol/Lubeguard until my oil life monitor is around 25%, and then change to Schaeffers 5W-40. Schaeffers, like the Castrol, is a group III/PAO blend BUT with a nice dose of moly (~300ppm), and decent zinc and phosphorous levels. I'll be doing UOA's on the Castrol and Schaeffers at the appropriate time to see what's going on.

Personally feel that the hemi really "likes" an oil with higher viscosity than the 5W-20. Many run 5W-30. I'm probably a throwback preferring an even more viscous oil, but my engine sure seems to like it. Haven't detected any mileage penalty and the MDS works fine on the few times I forget to turn it off with the paddle shifters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^ that is a great post, point being use a smart strategy and you can solve tick issues. Cam Lifters are a weak point in the hemi's, use a strategy and smooth it out. You running Castrol 0w40 from the info in the Syn thread? it is good stuff

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes sir. Had no idea it was close to 70% PAO until I read it there. It really has a good add pack, tho unfortunately 0 Moly, hence the Lubeguard.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If that would be my strategy, I would use the PP 5w20 first and see how loud or not my engine was before adding Mos2. I would think about going up to 5w30 in PP or PUP as well. These GtL bases seam to leave many hemi's a little on the loud side. Great oil, but 5w20 is already super thin at operating temps and the GtL seams to even feel thinner then the other group 3's. PP and PUP already has organic moly in the formula, adding powdered moly in suspension would make the oil a silver/green type hue. If the dealer was to change it and note it it may be an issue later on in warranty. So if you use that moly, maybe change your own oil and keep receipts, omit the receipt for the Mos2 if there is an issue. Lubeguard biotech is also moly treat that doesn't change the oil color, it is the same moly in PP in the first place, just more of it.
My engine is extremely quiet with the factory oil. I am thinking I will start with PP 5w 20 at 5000 miles and go from there. I am pretty sure I will change my oil at 5000 miles or 50% on the OLI, whichever comes first. Thanks for the info. Just want to know my options and I want to take care of my RAM properly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My engine is extremely quiet with the factory oil. I am thinking I will start with PP 5w 20 at 5000 miles and go from there. I am pretty sure I will change my oil at 5000 miles or 50% on the OLI, whichever comes first. Thanks for the info. Just want to know my options and I want to take care of my RAM properly.

Its interesting you mention the factory fill.

I've heard that its a synth blend from the factory and judging from the fact that only Pennzoil stuff has the "correct certification", my guess would be that its Pennzoil Gold.

There have been some data sheets posted about the new (current) Pennzoil Gold that show its quite a good oil, possibly even better than Pennzoil Platinum. Its actually thicker now than the previous formulation (though the previous formulation was no slouch either), which might explain a bit why the factory fill keeps the Hemi so quiet.

I suppose if we could get an exact answer on what the factory fill is, it might be an interesting experiment to run that exact oil for a long time and see if the dreaded tick ever develops.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my friend uses PP 5w30 and 15oz. of lubegard on his hemi very happy with the combo runs great no hemi tick at all

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My Hemi has thrown a CEL when I swapped to 5W30. since then I have kept to the 5W20 PP in it.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sure looks like Mopar changed either the MDS programming or some hardware since your model year as I'm running straight 0W-40 with no issues.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I believe it was the Pennzoil Platinum

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know I am resurrecting an old thread but I am using Liqui-Moly products right now. I have 2016 2500 5.7 (no MDS on the 2500 5.7). I have been using LM MoS2 for 16,000 miles (I currently have 28,000 miles on the truck). I went 1/2 dose first 8,000 and then full dose on the next 8,000. The engine vibration (not much to begin with was reduced). I did not add any MoS2 since the last oil change (2,000 miles ago) as I am waiting to go one cycle without anything before adding the LM Ceratech to the engine. Post the Ceratech cycle (approx 8K miles), I will be adding 1/2 dose of MoS2 with every oil change. I am also using the LM Jectron fuel cleaner every 5K miles or so.

As for the oil, the dealer is using Pennzoil Ultra Premium. So far so good. I know there are plenty of people out there who would question adding anything to perfectly good oil. Totally understand. I guess only time will tell but so far it's been working well for me. I do heavy city driving (14 mile city commute one way with lots of stop and go traffic) and I have been averaging 14MPG (per EVIC so probably 13MPG real world) and my oil temp has been hovering around 203. I have been averaging anywhere between 15-17MPG on the highway cruising between 75-80MPH (head wind kills MPG). I have included a picture of rare 19.3MPG highway run (141 miles). Remember, this is a 2500 5.7 Megacab with a 2.5" level kit! I have also included a side by side size comparison to a 1500.

RAM 2.jpg

RAM 3.jpg