Lock Tabs broke off on PCM Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was changing out my Diablo Tuner PCM and when I pushed the tab in to unlock the connector, tab just broke off. Will this create a problem. I put my Diablo PCM back on after I got back from the dealer. And pushed the connector locks down. But don't have the little tabs on the lock handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possibly. They could rattle off the PCM. TAKE APART. The connector and try and get them back working. They are a PITA!

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They broke off they aren't there. I'm thinking about a drop of RTV on the lock to secure it. And it can still be taken off again when I take it in for it's free oil change.

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't believe mine is the only ones that have broke. I guess thing get a little brittle after 27,000 miles.

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe mine is the only ones that have broke. I guess thing get a little brittle after 27,000 miles.

Mine did the same thing a while back. I haven't had an issue with the plug backing out yet.

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well mine did it today. They lock alright. I don't think it will be an issue. You would have to physically pull on them to make the handle to come up.

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this to happen to them

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems they are made real flimsy.

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if your dealer took it off for some reason just call them and play it off like they did it, to get it fixed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped out my pcm @ 29k miles... I was afraid of this happening, but it didn't luckily

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've disconnector at this point maybe 100 connectors like this and never had the clips break off. The connector lever has come apart, but never broken the clips. My recommendation is when replacing the PCM the crossbar that holds the plastic piece under the wipers should be pulled so that the wiring is more accessible. Otherwise you run into this issue.

Cruz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
537 Hemi V8
I was trying to remove my PCM today. After watching video I followed steps and lifted tabs but could not pull connectors off of PCM. Has anyone else had that happen? Is there a solution?

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Both of my headlight connectors had the stupid red locking tabs break off so I have wire ties holding them on, does anyone know if they can be replaced without replacing the whole connector?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a problem that some members have had in the past. Maybe Tach tech will chime in and give us any secrets he might have to prevent this.
Jay

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
With any electrical connector with locking tabs or levers. Unless the truck is brand spanking new, the absolute first thing you should do is spray some lube into the connector and blow it out with compressed air. Get all the dirt/debris out of it before you start trying to move anything. Next thing is to go slow, especially the PCM connectors. The tabs that hold them in aren’t very strong and will pop out. So go slow with the lever and work it back and forth.

Usually you can’t get individual parts of a connector, not from the dealer anyway. Have to replace the whole connector.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
With any electrical connector with locking tabs or levers. Unless the truck is brand spanking new, the absolute first thing you should do is spray some lube into the connector and blow it out with compressed air. Get all the dirt/debris out of it before you start trying to move anything. Next thing is to go slow, especially the PCM connectors. The tabs that hold them in aren’t very strong and will pop out. So go slow with the lever and work it back and forth.

Usually you can’t get individual parts of a connector, not from the dealer anyway. Have to replace the whole connector.

I would make sure it was a dielectric first such as a non-conductive contact such as CRC spray grease. I believe it is silicone but safe for rubber/elastomers.

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And in this case you have to buy a whole harness to replace the clips.

I broke one of my mine doing the remote start install. It's been 10,000 miles and if I haven't knocked it out plowing and driving around construction sites... I think OP will be fine.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
And in this case you have to buy a whole harness to replace the clips.

I broke one of my mine doing the remote start install. It's been 10,000 miles and if I haven't knocked it out plowing and driving around construction sites... I think OP will be fine.

Mopar does make repair kits for the PCM C1 and C2 connectors.

However as long as the 2 sliding tabs are locked into the PCM, they shouldn’t ever come lose.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up that you can get the complete plastic cover latch kit assemblies from, if I remember right, Mouse or Mouser electronics for like $6 a piece. I bought 2 for myself just in case and never used them...

OP
OP
whetrick1

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a heads up that you can get the complete plastic cover latch kit assemblies from, if I remember right, Mouse or Mouser electronics for like $6 a piece. I bought 2 for myself just in case and never used them...

Do you have the part number by any chance. Would make it easier to locate them