Long tube headers vs Shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds damn good. :happy107:

Just a heads up when you get a chance to look under the truck, you might want to check out the brake line's and wrap them in some cool tape. I don't no if this is the case on yours but my Y sets pretty close to the brake lines on the drivers side. Hears some pic's of mine before the cool tape in this trend.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/arh_header_question-106634/

Last edited:

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damn that sounds good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds damn good. :happy107:

Just a heads up when you get a chance to look under the truck, you might want to check out the brake line's and wrap them in some cool tape. I don't no if this is the case on yours but my Y sets pretty close to the brake lines on the drivers side. Hears some pic's of mine before the cool tape in this trend.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/arh_header_question-106634/

Where did u take those photos from underneath?? I had a shop put em on and he did mention having to move a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did u take those photos from underneath?? I had a shop put em on and he did mention having to move a few things.

Yes from underneath the truck. The pic's were taken where the headers connect to the Y pipe on the backside of the frame under the drivers side door. It is very unlikely that the shop moved the brake lines, they where probably referring to the oil dip stick and the trans cable. It is not a major deal, but is a good idea to put sort of shielding on them. Here is another member with the same headers with some pic's that you may be able to see a little better. Link below.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/arh_headers-99875/index3.html#post1504509

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
To quote my mechanic. They fit like **** and took forever to get installed especially with the stage 8 bolts. I got the bbk shorties and new factory gaskets.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes from underneath the truck. The pic's were taken where the headers connect to the Y pipe on the backside of the frame under the drivers side door. It is very unlikely that the shop moved the brake lines, they where probably referring to the oil dip stick and the trans cable. It is not a major deal, but is a good idea to put sort of shielding on them. Here is another member with the same headers with some pic's that you may be able to see a little better. Link below.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/arh_headers-99875/index3.html#post1504509

Thanks that helped .... Check this out ... I think I'm good. What do u think ?? I wish they came ceramic coated I wasn't willing to go thru the hassle of having to send en and have em done 229e27c82e34571d998a4dce9285638c.jpg

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok just had headers installed yesterday... Making a log for Sean and my Hemifever ... Threw these codes literally after doing a 0-60 run twice.... 7d478d93f6ab88e328cdaf6f971ed0f8.jpge2a602257b3d6dc2e9e99365cca6d0e5.jpgd08629c3d9035d658656756998b822b0.jpgc634699334f3ebf9009733d652a5e6bc.jpg Anyoje else experience this????

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Circuit codes generally mean you have a wiring issue with the rear sensors. I would make sure they are plugged in properly and that he wires didnt get pinched or pulled out of the connectors.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks that helped .... Check this out ... I think I'm good. What do u think ?? I wish they came ceramic coated I wasn't willing to go thru the hassle of having to send en and have em done 229e27c82e34571d998a4dce9285638c.jpg

That part is fine as it already has some factory shielding on it. If you follow that heat sleeve towards the back of the truck about a foot or two from where you took that pic you will see the black plastic line bracket with the two unprotected black brake lines sitting close to the Y pipe. That is the part where there needs to be some shielding if sitting close to the Y.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has far has the codes go it looks like some sort of wiring issue with the O2 sensors like Hemi450 stated. Check the connectors and make sure they are plugged in all the way or you could have even received a faulty O2 extender harness from ARH. Either way it is probably a simple fix.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has far has the codes go it looks like some sort of wiring issue with the O2 sensors like Hemi450 stated. Check the connectors and make sure they are plugged in all the way or you could have even received a faulty O2 extender harness from ARH. Either way it is probably a simple fix.

There are two plugs on the passenger side that are right next to each other ... One black and one white... Wondering if they could have got those to switched up and plugged into the wrong plug. I wonder if I switch them if I'd risk messing something up???

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:
May have figured it out! Checked the o2 sensors numbers and locations with the ones from dealership , one was out of place along with one of them being a wrong number??? (Keep in mind they were my stock o2 sensors) anyways cleared codes and moved sensors , and ensured all wiring and connectors were good... So far no code.... Drove probably 20 hard miles so far.

So learn from my installers mistakes.... Don't mix up the o2 sensors when swappjng from stock to longtubes. !!! Fingers crossed it was a simple fix

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which is better? I need some advice

definitely go with long tubes. without any head porting or other work the headers should be sized for the head flow; too small will slow the exhaust gasses down, too large the exhaust gas velocity will not be sufficient to scavenge the exhaust gasses while the intake valve is opening and the exhaust valve is closing. The appropriate velocity will draw more of the burned a/f mixture from the combustion chamber resulting in a better fresh a/f fuel charge and more hp. The longer tubes will help maintain exhaust gas velocity until it gets to the collector.