long tube headers in winter salt and off road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm getting long tube headers this winter and a catless mid pipe but i live and maine and don't know how well the headers and mid pipe will hold up in salt and slush 3 months outa the year. and it will be getting a lift also at some time so will i have to worry about ground clearance also?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They will hold up the same or better than the stock exhaust. The ARH hang just as low as stock as well.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
ARH headers are 304 stainless, so they will not rust away on you in the salt. If you want to take the protection up a step further, then you can always get them ceramic coated as well.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ARH headers are 304 stainless, so they will not rust away on you in the salt. If you want to take the protection up a step further, then you can always get them ceramic coated as well.

To be technically correct, stainless steel rusts as well. It just takes a lot longer than with mild steel.

Now, in the real world, I've never heard of stainless steel headers rusting.

The only time I've ever seen SS rust is in industrial applications where the salt, water, and chemical combinations are ridiculous.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The only stainless I have ever herd of rusting is the lower quality stainless steels. 7 years of welding stainless in the aviation industry I have never seen stainless rust. As previously stated if your worried about it get them ceramic coated.

All metals will breakdown given the right chemicals but nothing you will in counter on the roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i was looking to go with the jba long tubes and there mid pipe so with that said do those hang much lower?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I don't remember, but is your truck a 6sp or 8sp? JBA y-pipe will only work on the 6sp trucks.

JBA's are 409 stainless though, so if you go that route, you want to run the silver ceramic coated. The titanium coating does not hold up as well in the winter salt.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JBA offers 304 stainless now for both headers & y pipe.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
JBA offers 304 stainless now for both headers & y pipe.

Yes, but for what they cost, I would rather have ARH. They are within a couple hundred dollars of the ARH setup, and the ARH are a better overall quality. That is the only reason why we only carry the 409 JBA headers. If you are going to pay the 304 price, then you will be much happier with the ARH.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you run the JBA longtubes with the factory converters and not throw any lights. I know I'm having a dumb moment here. But I'm just curious

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes you can. You would just need to have a shop cut the factory cats off your current Y-pipe, and then weld them into a new custom built y-pipe.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I was curious about that. I just wasn't sure how it would work.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
:roflsquared:yeah i have the 6 speed. I'm planning on the jba long tubes with the catless mid pipe and have a e-cut out right before my super 40 so when a ricer pulls up and wants to race i can have good air flow and also hoping to get a hemifever tune veraram intake 87mm throttle body and a 2800 stall with hopefully 4.10 gears. so hopefully i can be pulling on some cars:roflsquared:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
:roflsquared:yeah i have the 6 speed. I'm planning on the jba long tubes with the catless mid pipe and have a e-cut out right before my super 40 so when a ricer pulls up and wants to race i can have good air flow and also hoping to get a hemifever tune veraram intake 87mm throttle body and a 2800 stall with hopefully 4.10 gears. so hopefully i can be pulling on some cars:roflsquared:

Honestly man, you're losing power with that cutout.

I'm making 600 wheel horsepower with 16lbs boost on my mustang and I made more power with a muffler than without. And my exhaust is far more restrictive to begin with that this trucks.

Straight pipe is only actually worth power if you're making serious power already.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Honestly man, you're losing power with that cutout.

I'm making 600 wheel horsepower with 16lbs boost on my mustang and I made more power with a muffler than without. And my exhaust is far more restrictive to begin with that this trucks.

Straight pipe is only actually worth power if you're making serious power already.

The Hemi's tend to lose tq with to much flow they like some back pressure.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so I'm better off to keep the flow master or maybe get a mufflex?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine loves catless with just a Magnaflow(straight through).

Back pressure...pfft...

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would keep the muffler on unless you're going over 700hp. Otherwise you're likely making the truck slower.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Mine loves catless with just a Magnaflow(straight through).

Back pressure...pfft...

I'm glad you posted this as it made me do research. I found my comment to be wrong. I always knew a good exhaust would increase power over just open and didn't know the exact reason. I always chalked it up to some sort of back pressure and never looked into it. My research has shown that the reason exhaust helps is by increasing velocity of the exhaust gasses. A smaller exhaust creates more velocity by increasing the pressure in the pipe but in a non negative way. The exhaust pipe can flow a certain volume of exhaust gasses as you increase the pressure the exhaust will flow faster. If you increase the size of the exhaust it slows the exhaust down decreasing your power, think water hose open and let it flow, now cover the end with your finger it speeds the water up but your still getting the same amount. To make a exhaust as efficent as possible you want th smallest diameter of pipe that doesn't casue any back pressure.

Thanks TylerB I learned something today.