Look what was just delivered!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will add this, for me the main reason I am running RL is because of the Hemi tick (that I dont want to get) other wise I would be using QS synthetic that I have mainly ran my whole life.
And who knows I might have ran QS and never got the tick or I might get it running RL, dont think its flat out 100% proved to be the reason although I am betting its the fix.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That video is what ram newbie was saying, the benefit of having the valve higher up. I'm saying, it is very unlikely you would ever have need of that valve. But concede the point to RN. There doesn't seam to be a filter that has everything a perfect value, or the best of all worlds like there is with one particular oil we all know.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That video is what ram newbie was saying, the benefit of having the valve higher up. I'm saying, it is very unlikely you would ever have need of that valve. But concede the point to RN. There doesn't seam to be a filter that has everything a perfect value, or the best of all worlds like there is with one particular oil we all know.

Oh okay. Thanks for explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some research and found a really good video on the pressure relief valve.

RP has 6 inlet holes and silicon anti drain back valve over cheap rubber (which is better).

Base

Oil comes in the inlet holes runs down the filter media to the pressure relief value them out. The problem with this is any containments would wash with the oil and going through the value and into the engine.

The other style has the pressure relief value at the top. The oil never washes over the filter media. The contaminants never wash with the oil and go into the engine.

https://youtu.be/1ANmG5PXWMg

Thanks for fixing the video but you're understanding it backwards. With a base relief valve you're oil would not go thru filter, sure it wouldn't be filtered oil to motor but with some end relief valve the oil is washing over dirty side of filter media possibly taking extra dirt back into system. As far as the anti drainback valve, there is no question that the neoprene one is better than rubber, the question is how long will the rubber one stay flexible. I definitely wouldn't use the rubber ADV for extended OCI's , however for normal OCI's it "should be" ok. My thoughts are that the best oil filter would have the neoprene ADV and base mounted pressure relief valve. Now the problem is finding that combo. I've heard that motorcraft fl820s will fit our Hemi's, it has that combo. Personally havent been able to get past putting a ford filter on my ram. The only way to find that combo would be to look up you're part number in every filter brand and go look at them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now this is strictly my theory because I haven't been able to find any real info on this. Pressure differential is what operates the pressure relief valve, so, in theory, every time we start our engines that relief valve could snap open for a very short period of time allowing unfiltered oil ( base mounted ) or possibly dirty oil ( dome mounted) oil to be circulated till the pressure equalizes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
we should find out.

Let me say this, if that oil filter was sitting in oil all night then you start it, I bet you are introducing contamination either way. So I hope for all of our sakes cold oil goes through the media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now this is strictly my theory because I haven't been able to find any real info on this. Pressure differential is what operates the pressure relief valve, so, in theory, every time we start our engines that relief valve could snap open for a very short period of time allowing unfiltered oil ( base mounted ) or possibly dirty oil ( dome mounted) oil to be circulated till the pressure equalizes.

Not sure if they make it, but one of these top companies needs to make a clear see through oil filter to show the inter-workings of the oil filter when the vehicle turns on, runs, and shuts off.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we should find out.

Let me say this, if that oil filter was sitting in oil all night then you start it, I bet you are introducing contamination either way. So I hope for all of our sakes cold oil goes through the media.
Just throwing this out there as a thought, no proof one way or the other. If in fact the bypass valve opens slightly or for short period during cold start, maybe that's the reason you guys running redline and RP filters are having such high wear numbers on you're UOA'S. You could be recycling the crap that has already been filtered out. Just a thought.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, gonna have to eat my words on the OE Mopar filters, at least for now. I thought they had base end pressure relief valves however went to dealer today and bought a couple for stock. When I looked at them I was surprised to find out they have dome end relief valve. Same part number as the one that's installed now, 339AA. The license date on the new ones is 2016, I think the one that is on right now has a license date of 2012. I'll compare the 2 on my next oil change, they may have changed specs or suppliers.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyhow, you brought some good new info the forum on filters we all should be considering.

What is a harder task, pushing cold oil through paper, or spun micro glass?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just throwing this out there as a thought, no proof one way or the other. If in fact the bypass valve opens slightly or for short period during cold start, maybe that's the reason you guys running redline and RP filters are having such high wear numbers on you're UOA'S. You could be recycling the crap that has already been filtered out. Just a thought.

Redline flows thinner in cold then other oils and RP I would wager flows faster then most filters due to the thick looser media, but yes you would be right, it seams possible if the bypass opens due to oil viscosity when cold you would be getting contamination past the filter. There still is no evidence those bypass valves open when cold, and the fact hemi filters are so large leads me to think it is unlikely. One thing would be for sure, there would be more of a chance of this happening with 5w30 then 5w20. One thing is for sure, every oil used is showing heavy wear in the hemi when compared to other vehicles, that certainly isn't a redline exclusive experience.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any long time users of Redline, does the wear numbers ever come down or do they stay high no matter how many OCI's you go thru?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline flows thinner in cold then other oils and RP I would wager flows faster then most filters due to the thick looser media, but yes you would be right, it seams possible if the bypass opens due to oil viscosity when cold you would be getting contamination past the filter. There still is no evidence those bypass valves open when cold, and the fact hemi filters are so large leads me to think it is unlikely. One thing would be for sure, there would be more of a chance of this happening with 5w30 then 5w20. One thing is for sure, every oil used is showing heavy wear in the hemi when compared to other vehicles, that certainly isn't a redline exclusive experience.
Wouldn't a 5/20 and a 5/30 be the same when cold? I could see this on hot oil restarts.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyhow, you brought some good new info the forum on filters we all should be considering.

What is a harder task, pushing cold oil through paper, or spun micro glass?
You're swaying me Burla, there would be more chance that contamination would be in the spun glass, less likely to be washed away even if filter did go into bypass.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First redline run, the run the ended hemi tick, 1 Year OCI.

Iron 25
Copper 188

Second redline run 2 year oil change interval double the miles.

49 Iron
141 Copper

So considering the hemi tick, Redline has lowered the copper more then double, Iron stayed the same considering it was double the miles. Guys that have done uoa's with other oils and hemi tick have ridiculous wear numbers, near 7 or 8 times these numbers, scary.

Too bad I didn't do a uoa with the oils my hemi was ticking on! That would have told a story.

3rd run another 2 year OCI coming soon by Jan.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wouldn't a 5/20 and a 5/30 be the same when cold? I could see this on hot oil restarts.

Depends how cold, generally speaking you will get thicker flow per weight, unless we are talking sub zero. Unfortunately most oils don't give viscosity at temp other then 40C and 100C, redline does however give (CCS Vis, Poise, @°C) which lets a user know sub freezing viscosity, but to my knowledge no company is giving visc at 32F that would better answer your question. Generally speaking the weight will effect cold flow. Tech Sheet.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They just pulled my truck back to change the oil! Watching from the service window here!

af305f5091dfc48097874a145a43f328.jpg

ccc01caf85314295a8f5442b191f7b27.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Based on this, should we switch to 5w20 over 5w30?