Looking to mod w/ towing also in mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I want to start building up the engine on my Ram. Mostly bolt-ons, TB, headers, tuner etc... I presently have the exhaust cat back done with a flowmaster super 40 and a vararam intake. Problem is I don't want it to be a dog but I pull my camper so that is what I'm looking for mainly. Daily driver so all these things are a factor. Biggest being DD, then towing my camper and performance.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what your question is?
If you want all the bolt-ons, grab a PTB, CAI, long tube headers and a Diablosport tuner with custom Hemifever tune. Can't do much better than that unless you dig into the trans.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
An e-fan and a 180 t-stat and a catch can will go nicely with those other mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Sorry the question is what are the best mods to do. Obviosly don't want to lose my bottom end with towing. Definitly going to check into those mods. Thank you.

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any real evidence that a catch can is needed or has everyone just convinced themselves that it is. I understand the concept but people really shouldn't be getting much oil blow by on a new motor unless their rings haven't seated properly or the hemi is just flawed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Idk see what people are emptying out of their catch cans after a 1000 miles tells me there is decent amount of blow by. Will it hurt not to have one probably not but once you start tuning and adding performance mods that little extra oil getting into the intake does come into play with fuel octane.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I put mine on after 12k miles and I tow. usually 3-4 times a year 600 miles round trip not counting what I drive when I get there. After about 200 miles that brown milky crap I collected is now being emptied instead of going in my motor.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding a catch can hasn't turned my truck into Superman, and I haven't received an unconditional lifetime warranty from Ram in the mail. But any amount of nasty smelling, oily gunk I keep out of the engine is a plus to me.
Justified :happy107:

joe.cummings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your towing with a 1500 an Air Lift 1000 kit makes a world of a difference.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
From a performance standpoint, I would without a doubt add a catch can and tuner first. The tuner is going to be your single best bang for buck mod. Hemifever tuning is without a doubt going to show the best gains in both power and drivability.

OP
OP
D

Disturbed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Great input. I already have the TLC system on the Ram so Air Lift isn't necessary. Mainly want a little more towing power but the best for everyday driving. So it looks like my best next step is a catch can and a tuner before I go for a set of LTH and TB. Thanks again everyone. This is a great place to be.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After having modified a lot of vehicles for different reasons, here's my thoughts:

Tune - HemiFever etc
Torque Converter - factory units just suck up a lot of power and make a lot of heat
Exhaust - Long Tubes on back would be great if your budget it there, but be careful, you'll be introducing a lot of extra heat under the hood to deal with
Intake - TB should be fine, maybe a Varram or similar intake, but I don't feel it'd help much when towing.

They do a really great job engineering these trucks anymore, it's not like the '90s when you could add 60HP with an intake, headers and full exhaust.