Looking for recommendations on exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,

I just purchased my first truck ever last week! I purchased a 2017 Ram Sport Crew Cab 4x4.

I am looking to upgrade the exhaust to obtain a deeper/louder growl, but not OVERLY aggressive since I have little ones in the back seat!

I did some searching on Google and see folks are using many different kinds (from Flowmaster, Carven, straight pipe, and even SLP). Is it best to go with the muffler and tip replacement, or do a full exhaust replacement with true duals?

I am a novice when it comes to exhaust, so if any one could give me some recommendations on what to purchase I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
A Carven Progressive exhaust system is easy to install and would get you the sound your after with out any drone.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 16 Sports CC and installed a 22" Magnaflow. I really like the sound--not LOUD but you can hear the tone. I also added 5" tips which made the sound a lot deeper and more mellow. On my 13 I had a 18" Magnaflow and it was louder than I expected and had more of a "bark" to it. I prefer the 22".
Jay

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Carven Progressive exhaust system is easy to install and would get you the sound your after with out any drone.

I watched a few videos online where they removed a few bolts, swapped out the muffler and tips, and put the bolts back. Is it really that easy as it looks?

Also, does this void the manufactures warranty?

Spintech - no drone and done for $150 including install.

Thank you, I will look into it.

I have a 16 Sports CC and installed a 22" Magnaflow. I really like the sound--not LOUD but you can hear the tone. I also added 5" tips which made the sound a lot deeper and more mellow. On my 13 I had a 18" Magnaflow and it was louder than I expected and had more of a "bark" to it. I prefer the 22".
Jay

Nice...do you happen to have a video of it and what it sounds like inside the truck?

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the carven competitor which is pretty aggressive but the progressive sounds like it would fit your requirements pretty well.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched a few videos online where they removed a few bolts, swapped out the muffler and tips, and put the bolts back. Is it really that easy as it looks?

Also, does this void the manufactures warranty?

Thank you, I will look into it.

Nice...do you happen to have a video of it and what it sounds like inside the truck?

I dont know about warranty but I did have my truck in after I installed my Carven and the dear didnt say anything about it but I also wasnt there for anything having to do with exhaust.
It is literally about three bolts off and whatever bolts to put on, I think 6 for my carven competitor. What I did is two nights before I knew I was going to work on it, I sprayed PB blaster on the bolts that had to come off, let it sit for the night and next day, did it again the next day, and on the third day when I was off from work, took off the bolts like it was nothing. At the time my truck had 30K on the clock so the factory exhaust has been through some wear as well as two years of season changes. The hardest part was knocking the muffler off and the pipes off. I tried muffler first but should have done pipes first in retrospect. I used a dead blow hammer which made it a bit easier but the hardest part wasnt that bad. Took about an hour tops and I took my time.
Good luck with your choice!
My vote goes to Carven.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Like he just said its really a easy install, my truck only has 2300 miles so the muffler came off real easy.
Took me 45 mins laying on my driveway .

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll throw out another vote for Carven. Zero regrets with the progressive model on my truck.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did manaflow 28". #12588. Love it! Not too loud on the highway, but deeper tone/growl when you accelerate.

BigTrout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have been driving with the 3" Racelands cutout exhaust w/ qtp electric valve for about a week now. With the 5.7 and open valve it growls, but having the ability to close it and send exhaust through stock mufflers is a nice feature. Out the door for $345 probably my favorite mod so far tbh

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have a video of their truck with the carven competitor and progressive mufflers? Not sure what I wanna do I'm stuck between those but don't want a crazy amount of drone. Any help on those would be appreciated!

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have a video of their truck with the carven competitor and progressive mufflers? Not sure what I wanna do I'm stuck between those but don't want a crazy amount of drone. Any help on those would be appreciated!

What does "drone" mean in terms on exhaust?

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

in cab noise. If you've ever been in a car or other truck with a load exhaust it's probably got a good amount of drone inside the cab. Just like that annoying noise that doesn't go away. I don't mind a little bit but also can't stand a lot

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in cab noise. If you've ever been in a car or other truck with a load exhaust it's probably got a good amount of drone inside the cab. Just like that annoying noise that doesn't go away. I don't mind a little bit but also can't stand a lot

Ah, okay. I know what you mean now. I had no idea that was "drone". Thanks.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87

Drone will drive you insane on long hauls and many exhaust systems do it.
I installed a Gibson cat back system on my truck a year and a half ago, it sounds great is built very heavy duty and has no drone anywhere in any RPM range.