Loud and I mean real LOUD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yesterday I had the Vararam install, looks killer the catch can that he showed me is tiny and by that I mean 3-4 inches tall and roughly 1 1/2-2" across so it seems small, the tech said I just unscrew the bottom of the can to drain. The nice thing he did was weld all the new metal work instead of clamps but my big question is with long tubes, do you lose your cats because I am now cat less and it sounds like a truck on the Naxcar series. I am still waiting on the PCM with baited breath and oh I have the engine symbol on the dash which he says will go away with the Diablo. Any help would be SUPER GREAT on my questions.:favorites13::favorites13:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you delete the cat's your exhaust is going to be louder. I don't have headers yet so I'm not sure how much louder but I remember Matt has said they are louder without cats. I'd check for the code you've thrown but if you got the code after installing the headers, your installer is right, it can be fixed using the tuner. Glad to see you making progress with all your new parts. Post some pictures when you get done.
Jay

OP
OP
T

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When you delete the cat's your exhaust is going to be louder. I don't have headers yet so I'm not sure how much louder but I remember Matt has said they are louder without cats. I'd check for the code you've thrown but if you got the code after installing the headers, your installer is right, it can be fixed using the tuner. Glad to see you making progress with all your new parts. Post some pictures when you get done.
Jay

10-4 and I knew I could count on you, thank you sir. I don't believe they gave me back my cats, are they worth anything or just junk now:favorites13: Oh and I am fine with the noise, I SAID LOUD lol. Now I am thinking of a mild cam as that would really add to the sound, never mind if I get even 1 hp from the cam. I am all about the old muscle cars from days gone by or yore if you prefer lol

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of muffler do you have? When I installed my long tubes I had to switch from a flow master 14 to a 24 because it was too loud for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
10-4 and I knew I could count on you, thank you sir. I don't believe they gave me back my cats, are they worth anything or just junk now:favorites13: Oh and I am fine with the noise, I SAID LOUD lol. Now I am thinking of a mild cam as that would really add to the sound, never mind if I get even 1 hp from the cam. I am all about the old muscle cars from days gone by or yore if you prefer lol

The cats are worth about $200 at a recycle facility so it's something to keep in mind if you didn't talk about them keeping them, most shops don't say anything about that since it's typically free money for them.

Just doing a cam for noise is pointless since the VVT engine needs a tight LSA to be effective, if you want that lopey cam sound it's also part of the tune and you'd be running a cam that is far from ideal with these engines, but it can be done, you just have to ask if $2K is worth it for the noise.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
lol when i did long tubes i had a super 10 on...good lord that was loud and insane drone. Had to go all the way to a 50 series, still pretty damn loud

OP
OP
T

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The cats are worth about $200 at a recycle facility so it's something to keep in mind if you didn't talk about them keeping them, most shops don't say anything about that since it's typically free money for them.

Just doing a cam for noise is pointless since the VVT engine needs a tight LSA to be effective, if you want that lopey cam sound it's also part of the tune and you'd be running a cam that is far from ideal with these engines, but it can be done, you just have to ask if $2K is worth it for the noise.

Thanks for the advice and I will be following it as you are the "Know t guy" thank you very much sir:favorites13: Oh and I will phone the shop and get my cats as they had 20,000 kms on them

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
lol when i did long tubes i had a super 10 on...good lord that was loud and insane drone. Had to go all the way to a 50 series, still pretty damn loud

I can just imagine how loud your truck was as then SRT8 Challenger has 10's and they are loud all on their own:happy107:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
These trucks definitely get a little rowdy when you pull the cats off. The o2 sensor codes will go away once you get your custom tuning installed. Just make sure your installer has all 4 sensors plugged into the wiring harness and into the pipe, and you will be good.

OP
OP
T

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
These trucks definitely get a little rowdy when you pull the cats off. The o2 sensor codes will go away once you get your custom tuning installed. Just make sure your installer has all 4 sensors plugged into the wiring harness and into the pipe, and you will be good.

thanks for that tidbit, so far so excellent on the installer doing a great job. I think he said he is 29 so being that young he should be computer savvy lol. I am writing down what you said about the 4 sensors or chances are I would forget,age thing you know:crazy: My PCM is in Toronto as of last night so I am hoping in a day or two I will have the little gem, Thanks again and if I need anything I will give you a ring a ling:favorites13: