Low Fan Speed Auto Climate Setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I rarely use the auto setting on my Laramie as the fan speed is so low it is annoying. Is there a way to fix this such as a dealer flash? In the summer when it's very hot the fan works fine on auto and a temp setting of 72° however after the temp cools down the fan can barely be felt in the front and the rear of the cab is warm. The auto setting in my Maxima blew plenty of air. I can set the temp lower to 65° or so but the air is colder than I want. Anyone else with a Sport or other model with auto have this issue?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The auto setting is designed to keep the driver area at the desired temperature. The temperature sensor is behind the knee bolster panel. It's an aspirator sensor, so it sucks in air and measures the temperature. If you have the auto temp set to 72, and the sensor sees the air is 72, the fan speed is going to be low because the desired temperature has been achieved. There's no other air temp sensors in the vehicle.

I actually find it works pretty well in my truck at keeping me comfortable.

There is no way to adjust the operation of the AUTO setting.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe it's just my truck but the auto setting rarely has a proper fan speed. I turned it on today with at set a 66 for 70 outside and I can barely feel any air, I would guess a fan speed of 2 at most. Typically I have it on 4 or 5 in manual mode to keep cool and get air to the back seats. I think I would have to have it set on 60° this morning to get the fan going and that would be freezing. I do have a cabin air filter installed but I did not see much reduction in fan output after putting it in.