lube question....................lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So. 4th gen guys w the hemi. I know for the engine. We need 5w20. I ran synthetic mobile one in my 04 hemi and it realy quieted down the valve train noise. What brands do u guys prefer for 5w20. And not the high dollar, have to b ordered stuff. I shop at walmart. And I'm only at 300 miles on the new. Truck. When do u think I should do the break in oil change. I was thinkn 1000.
Lastly the. Front and rear diffs. Any brand preferences. Thanks in advance

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Run Mobile one full synthetic in my truck. Why not just wait 3,000 miles and switch to synthetic for the first oil change? Save you a few bucks

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Amsoil, Valvoline Syn or Mobil 1 only oils I use. Last year or so I started almost exclusively using Amsoil. Feels good driving it very smooth have Ams in both diffs too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
when u guys use the amsoil or the royal purpl ein he diffs, do you still need the mopar limited slip additive

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Amsoil has the additive already in it. No need to add. If Amsoil is not on your list of options:) I'd go Mobil. Can get I anywhere. Although you can get a cheaper version of Amsoil that's competative in price even if you have to order.

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Maybe cheaper was a bad word. We have 3 tiers of oils the least expensive of which is on the same playing field as other syns on the market.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i did 1 diff and an oil change using only mobile 1. about $150... you could probably stay with conventional for a while till you switch over.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Please note I do not work for or with Amsoil or Heath but to me their products are the very best. I use Severe Gear lube in both diffs and it protects great plus it stays consistant when it gets super cold no hardening effect. It is actually cheaper than lube in bulk from the dealer and to me is better. It smells bad but they all do. I use 75W-140 in the rear and 75W-90 in the front. Now if they would start making a tranny fluid labeled ATF+4 I would run that too but I am scared to run it without that label. :baby:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
when u guys use the amsoil or the royal purpl ein he diffs, do you still need the mopar limited slip additive

According to the Amsoil product chart it says you should add the additive if you have LSD in the rear and are using their product.
ScreenShot2012-01-29at25515PM.png

ScreenShot2012-01-29at25257PM.png

I then also found this on their site which confirms what Heath said
"NOTE: AMSOIL Synthetic Gear Lubes do not require the use of this additive. However, not all differentials respond the same and if chatter is noticed, the addition of AMSOIL Slip Lock will eliminate it. For chattering differentials not running AMSOIL Gear Lube, this product is an excellent solution to the problem."

Royal Purple does poorly in tests I have seen I think they may be pushing a well marketed product more than a well made one. I was just looking at a comparison on the Amsoil site and they had Royal Purple dead last in wear comparison but towards the top in price. This was motorcycle oil not sure if they have a diff test up.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/mcf_mcv_april_2005.pdf?zo=1321567

Last edited:
OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hmmm, Heath, if i do run amsoil in the diffs,(caus ei dont change them that often) if i run the kind with the limited slip additive in in, and then add the mopar additive , (for the dealer sake) will it ruin any properties of the amsoil

Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Straight from the product's page:
"Aftermarket oil additives, other than those specified by AMSOIL, are not recommended for use with AMSOIL gear oil."

We do have slip lock additive that one can use if they wish. AMSOIL just can't guarantee the extended drains (50-100k) when using another brand. I have had at least one person to the lube alone and still thought they had chatter. They put in our additive and that took care of it.

That being said, they make these products so they are compatible with other brands so using them won't harm anything.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That being said, they make these products so they are compatible with other brands so using them won't harm anything.[/QUOTE]

so i should be fine