Magnaflow 12288 (18") Install Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeyHeyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi folks. It seems MagnaFlow is the leader of the pack for exhaust on these trucks with factory duals and I previously had a Hemi powered Jeep GC with a MagnaFlow catback that I liked, so I figured that I would go that route and throw one under the truck.

I went ahead and got a MagnaFlow 12288 and proceeded to weld 2.5" ID to 2.25" ID reducers to the DO side and a length of 3" OD pipe to the SI side. I noted that the OEM muffler had the tail pipe spacing at 5.5" on-center, yet the MagnaFlow is about 4.5" to 5". I didn't think this would be a huge problem, but it seems that's a bit more of a critical dimension than I realized when it comes to getting the exhaust tips to line up afterwards.

After trying for what seemed like forever to get the tailpipes oriented properly for the tips to line up uniformly in the bumper cut-outs, I ended up looking at pictures of the Mufflex setup, and it looks like I might have gone about things the wrong way- with the muffler all the way back and the extension/filler pipe in the front.

I think that I could achieve a similar setup by mounting the 3" mouth of the muffler directly to the factory pipe and using an exhaust intermediate pipe with a 1" offset to spread the output pipes wide enough for the tips to line up. My question is if anyone has done this before and might have a part number for the intermediate with offset. They are fairly universal parts but typically designed for a specific application so they are kind of hard to search for. Also, since I have a muffler with 2.5" ID outlets that needs to go to a 2.25" OD tail pipe, would I be better off with a 2.5" or 2.25" intermediate pipe? I have a tailpipe expander and can make either work if needed.

I have exhaust commitment issues and would like to make this a bolt-on setup until I'm sure I like it, rather than weld to the factory pipes.

If anyone has any tips or tricks on what to use or how to get everything to line up right, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your help. I attached a picture of my first attempt. It looks like I might need to figure out something for a hanger too, again to get the pipes to sit at the right angle.

20170218_220749_zpsjfjilaod.jpg

WLK-42916_xl.jpg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
They sell a MagnaFlow as a bolt on kit on ebay, its simple to put on as its a direct replacement.