Magnaflow 18" Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Just got back from the Muffler shop here is my review. Keep in mind I left the resonators attached.

2013 CC sport 4X4 5.7

First off I am glad I found this shop (Location Sacramento CA) Quoted me $165 + taxes, had me out the door for even less @ $158. All they had stocked were the 14", but they said they could have the 18" (Part #12278) by the time I got there. I was at their shop for only 90min

I am glad I didn't go with the 14". I think it would have been too much for me. From the reviews I have been reading, I was back and forth asking myself "will it be loud enough" I was looking for a classy growl, and a little volume. the 18" actually exceeded my expectations. When I got home I actually measured the 18" to make sure it was the correct one.

The 18" gives just enough deep toned growl, with no popping under WOT. I can still hear it a little under idle. While slowly moving from a stop it still produces enough note to be heard by you in the cab, and passers by.

The drive was 35 miles to the shop I found, so I played with some RPM's on the way home. DRONE: There is a bit just @ or above 1600 RPM, Aprox 69-70 MPH. and while slowly accelerating with the cruise control, its a bit louder till you reach speed. It's not annoying, but it's there. BTW I have lost a lot of hearing in my left ear with my years in the USAF, so I may pick up better on lower tones, as opposed to the high ones. I wasn't wearing my hearing aids while driving.

At WOT still produces a nice note, and no popping. Sounds very healthy. For those worried about drone, or who tow I vote against the 14" I am a little concerned how the drone will be when I tow with the 18", But I am still glad I went with the 18" instead of the 14 or 24.

The 18" exceeded the tone and volume I have read about, and think for my taste the 14" would have been too much for me, and the 24" wouldn't have been enough. I would honestly prefer a little less volume, but I know for a fact the 24" would have left me wanting more.

Very Pleased for $158 out the door.

Last edited:

YIMBROKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Nice write up, Its crazy how everyone's take on exhaust noise varies so much. I have a 14" mufflex kit and i feel like its to quiet and i have zero drone at highway speeds. Also have no popping in ECO mode like others complain of.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Great review....and for 158$ makes things even beter

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
I forgot to add No popping during MDS. A very faint gurgle at 69-70 in MDS but nothing really unless I really concentrate.

Everyones taste is different, and I am glad with what I choose with the options out there, But I am glad that boat anchor of a stock muffler is gone...

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your post-install feedback!
I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts after do tow, and after 1,000miles of good break-in on the muffler. I know my stocker is a restriction but the boss doesn't want the truck any louder so if it bounces off the front of the trailer when towing it would be a deal breaker :Violin: You also have the dual rear exhaust so it would be a pretty good apples to apples comparo.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good info. I also love my 18" for exactly the same reasons. I found it to be the perfect noise level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yeah, I'm with chuck mines is perfect and I had it on for about a year now.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm assuming this is a single in dual out muffler? I had a dual in dual out on my 05 (did away with the "Y" pipe), and loved the sound, got lots of compliments on it too...

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for that review, looks like im wanting the same sound as you got.
Ill be going with the 18" Magnaflow. Let us know if you see any changes in MPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just had my 18" magnaflow installed yesterday and I love the sound. It is the perfect sound level. However I did notice a loss of power on the low end. Just a little bit but still enough to notice. Anybody else notice this?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 24" Magnaflow, the low drone during light highway acceleration did go away after a few hundred miles. I'd expect the same for your 18".

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
I thought I noticed a little but, But just slightly. I will be taking a 200 mile round trip this weekend, So I'll check on the milage. I am going to pop in a K&N filter to see if that helps any...

I just had my 18" magnaflow installed yesterday and I love the sound. It is the perfect sound level. However I did notice a loss of power on the low end. Just a little bit but still enough to notice. Anybody else notice this?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

KNBeasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just got back from the Muffler shop here is my review. Keep in mind I left the resonators attached.

2013 CC sport 4X4 5.7

First off I am glad I found this shop (Location Sacramento CA) Quoted me $165 + taxes, had me out the door for even less @ $158. All they had stocked were the 14", but they said they could have the 18" (Part #12278) by the time I got there. I was at their shop for only 90min

I am glad I didn't go with the 14". I think it would have been too much for me. From the reviews I have been reading, I was back and forth asking myself "will it be loud enough" I was looking for a classy growl, and a little volume. the 18" actually exceeded my expectations. When I got home I actually measured the 18" to make sure it was the correct one.

The 18" gives just enough deep toned growl, with no popping under WOT. I can still hear it a little under idle. While slowly moving from a stop it still produces enough note to be heard by you in the cab, and passers by.

The drive was 35 miles to the shop I found, so I played with some RPM's on the way home. DRONE: There is a bit just @ or above 1600 RPM, Aprox 69-70 MPH. and while slowly accelerating with the cruise control, its a bit louder till you reach speed. It's not annoying, but it's there. BTW I have lost a lot of hearing in my left ear with my years in the USAF, so I may pick up better on lower tones, as opposed to the high ones. I wasn't wearing my hearing aids while driving.

At WOT still produces a nice note, and no popping. Sounds very healthy. For those worried about drone, or who tow I vote against the 14" I am a little concerned how the drone will be when I tow with the 18", But I am still glad I went with the 18" instead of the 14 or 24.

The 18" exceeded the tone and volume I have read about, and think for my taste the 14" would have been too much for me, and the 24" wouldn't have been enough. I would honestly prefer a little less volume, but I know for a fact the 24" would have left me wanting more.

Very Pleased for $158 out the door.

what shop in Sacramento did you go to?

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this the alternative to a cat back replacement?

OP
OP
B

boomer135

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 4x4
Engine
Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great review. My shop mistakenly installed a 14" instead of the 18" I requested for my '09. It sounded awesome buzzing around town but had way too much drone on the highway for me. I brought it back after 2 weeks and had the 18" installed. It was perfect. Hope you enjoy yours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for your post-install feedback!
I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts after do tow, and after 1,000miles of good break-in on the muffler. I know my stocker is a restriction but the boss doesn't want the truck any louder so if it bounces off the front of the trailer when towing it would be a deal breaker :Violin: You also have the dual rear exhaust so it would be a pretty good apples to apples comparo.

If it helps... I had my 18" for about a year before trading trucks. While it was louder when cruising around, it really wasn't any louder when pulling our camper. I even went so far as to pack a wrench in the driver door pocket so i could redirect the tips on the duals if my wife or kids complained. Never had to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2