Magnaflow Cat Back 16869

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thetasigma1186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi! I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2013 CC Outdoorsman with the 5.7. Big difference from the Challenger I traded, but I love it! Back to a truck!

Anyway, I had a parking lot incident :doh2: but I wanted dual exhaust anyway, so that helped. I now have a new dual exhaust bumper.

I have checked a few shops around town and they all say $500-550 to install a custom exhaust if I supply 5" tips :eek:. I really like the look of the 5" tips, but that would end up costing almost $700! That seems ridiculous!

So I got to looking at the Magnaflow 16869. It comes with the 5" tips and I can install it myself. To those of you that have it, are you happy with the sound and performance? It looks like it is a 22" muffler, I thought I wanted a shorter one. I don't want to install it and find out it isn't loud enough. What do you all think?

Also, should I install the Magnaflow Y pipe at the same time?

Thanks!
Matt

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I am a huge fan of this kit. My favorite single muffler replacement is the 18" Magnaflow, but this kit will sound about the same as it gets rid of the resonators. Basically, the 22" muffler in this catback system sounds about the same as an 18" would sound if you were to just replace your stock muffler.

This muffler is not overly loud, but you will definitely know it is there. It is also tame on the highway without any obnoxious drone.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
The Magnaflow website says that kit is for trucks with factory duals, you sure it will work?

Jake2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have it, very happy with it.

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The factory duals requirement on the website is due to the bumper cutouts. If he has swapped bumpers for the dual cutout one, then he should be fine.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am a huge fan of this kit. My favorite single muffler replacement is the 18" Magnaflow, but this kit will sound about the same as it gets rid of the resonators. Basically, the 22" muffler in this catback system sounds about the same as an 18" would sound if you were to just replace your stock muffler.

This muffler is not overly loud, but you will definitely know it is there. It is also tame on the highway without any obnoxious drone.

100% correct on all points

Mine is over 3 years old. found it on sale at just over $500,
sold my new stock take-offs for $200, net cost $300 and no labor DIY install.

The factory duals requirement on the website is due to the bumper cutouts. If he has swapped bumpers for the dual cutout one, then he should be fine.

The only thing a single to dual might need after you've swapped bumpers,
is a frame mount exhaust hanger on the drivers side.

Here's an old vid from a few years ago,
it's louder now with some of the packing burnt off, Y pipe mod and JBA shorty headers

<click for video>

th_002.jpg

before
ram018.jpg

after
GroundForce007.jpg

before
Magnaflow023.jpg

after
Picture146.jpg

Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Also, should I install the Magnaflow Y pipe at the same time?

It would have to be welded in, and at the prices your local yahoos are giving you.......no. :ehcapt:

OP
OP
thetasigma1186

thetasigma1186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I crawled under the truck tonight and noticed that yes, I do need a rubber bracket. Since I swapped the bumper, I should be good there. I assume the tip will clear the bumper bracket, it looks close.

Will there be any issue with heat and the painted bumper? One shop told me it would damage it.

I guess the Y pipe is not necessary, but would it help performance, etc.?

Also, thanks for the tip on selling the take offs. Not sure anyone wants a take off single exhaust, butI might have one for sale! As well as a stock painted bumper, its for sale now!

Thanks everyone!

~Matt

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Considering the stock dual exhaust sits pretty close to some folks bumpers I don't think heat would be an issue really. Just told my wife I wanted to look at getting this exhaust again and she rolled her eyes. hahahah

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
the Y pipe will help, but will have to be welded on.

Pipes against the paint? Mine are close......and never had an issue.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
There are no issues with the painted bumpers. We have many customers with sport model trucks running this kit without any issue. And like JJ said, the Y-pipe will help, but I would skip that step if your local shops are trying to overcharge on the labor. Maybe wait until you decide to throw a set of headers on there before doing the Y-pipe.

OP
OP
thetasigma1186

thetasigma1186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no issues with the painted bumpers. We have many customers with sport model trucks running this kit without any issue. And like JJ said, the Y-pipe will help, but I would skip that step if your local shops are trying to overcharge on the labor. Maybe wait until you decide to throw a set of headers on there before doing the Y-pipe.

Thanks for the advice! I am 99% sure I will order the Magnaflow CB. It has the look I want as well as a nice deep rumble! :happy107:

I thought maybe buying a dual stock take off and doing the muffler delete, but not having much luck with finding a stock set. Then once I add the 5" tips, I am close to the same price of the CB.

~Matt

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am actually sitting here at work debating whether to go with the Magnaflow 12288 or the full catback 16869. My only question is this: With the full catback, it seems i can hang and position, clamp it all together myself. As for taking off the stock part, do i need to cut the pipe after the cat and clamp on the CB system? Or do I take it off right from the flange above the cat and go from there?

If I have to cut it, does the CB system pipe slip right over the stock pipe thats left, and you just clamp it down? If This is the case, I can do it in my garage tonight, long as I find my cutter. A dremel with a cutting disc on it should work just fine I imagine :)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Everything is clamp on, so you will not have to cut the factory system. Magnaflow also has the install instructions posted at the link below...This is a very easy kit that just about anyone can install in their driveway in just an hour or so.

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/16869.pdf