Magnaflow Muffler + MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am brand new member to this forum with a 2012 Ram 1500 w/ the hemi. I can't tell you how much I love this truck and all I can think about is all the stuff I want to add to it.

I have researched extensively about adding the magnaflow 18" muffler just to give the truck a little more sound. Just as I was getting ready to order the muffler I came across some people saying the muffler combined with the MDS sounds terrible. Like anything though half the people claim it's no big deal and the other half claim it's terrible. I really don't want to disable MDS. If anyone has an honest opinion about this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks guys

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
W/O a tuner you can just turn it off though. It's not like there is a MDS off button.

Maybe somebody who has aftermarket exhaust, and mds can post up a soundclip for the guy? I have stock exhaust otherwise I would try to help you out OP.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
first off....welcome to RamForum

i have the 14" magnaflow and its not anywhere near as bad as some people claim when mds kicks in

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have the 14" magnaflow with long tube headers and no resonators and its really not that bad when it comes on but if anything just put the truck into manual mode and leave it on 6 and you wont have the mds come on

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have the 14" magnaflow with long tube headers and no resonators and its really not that bad when it comes on but if anything just put the truck into manual mode and leave it on 6 and you wont have the mds come on

This.

People are actually seeing better gas mileage in manual mode and you dont have to worry about the 4 cyl sound. (its not THAT bad)

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This.

People are actually seeing better gas mileage in manual mode and you dont have to worry about the 4 cyl sound. (its not THAT bad)

me being one of those people i never got better gas milage with it on in this truck or my 08 quad cab

OP
OP
T

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i've read a lot about driving the truck in manual and seems to be mixed as to whether this actually turns off mds. so you guys don't drive the truck in "D", just manual all the time?

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i personally drive my truck different depending on where i am if im doing city driving i drive with the truck in D and tow haul on because it drives soooooo much better then just in d to me and if im on the highway i put it on 6. Both ways turn mds off if i can ill get a video later with my cutout open so you can hear the difference of straight d and on 6 so you can see that it does turn it off

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i drive my truck in D

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The drone you get from the MDS system is not that bad really at all. Hell, it took me awhile to actually notice after I had my exhaust stuff done. I've yet to turn mds off to see if I'd get better gas mileage with it on or off but with my driving I do everyday and watching the active fuel flow meter, I can't imagine it being better with it off because it's on a fair amount of time.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
for me the mds only bothers me on highway because it comes on and off alot at any slight incline so i cant imagine it helping much at all but in the city i drive mine with tow haul on because my truck drives horrible!!!!! this has got the be the worst shifting vehicle ive ever had but in the trucks defence its probably the stock rt converter thats no good and makes it drive so bad

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the mds sounds that bad, but you do notice when it kicks in. Once you're tuned you have the option of turning it on or off so bring on the mods bud!!!

Oh and welcome :D

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 18" Mufflex and the drone isn't that bad. What bothers me in mds mode is the way it feels and the fact that it comes on so soon when driving around town. Like the others say just hit the tow/haul button and it turns off mds and drives so much better. On the highway you can here the drone a little but it's really not that bad.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am brand new member to this forum with a 2012 Ram 1500 w/ the hemi. I can't tell you how much I love this truck and all I can think about is all the stuff I want to add to it.

I have researched extensively about adding the magnaflow 18" muffler just to give the truck a little more sound. Just as I was getting ready to order the muffler I came across some people saying the muffler combined with the MDS sounds terrible. Like anything though half the people claim it's no big deal and the other half claim it's terrible. I really don't want to disable MDS. If anyone has an honest opinion about this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks guys
I have had an 18" maggie on my truck for a few months now and totally love it. You can hear a difference when MDS but only when the engine is about to come out of MDS. Usually only lasts a second or 2. I have tried running with the MDS off but i get 1 1/2 MPG better then when I leave MDS active.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would be curious to know, when you guys who drive in "manual" (lol) mode do you notice a jump in RPMs going from D to 5, or 6 (depending on which "tranny" you have)? When I push the down button once to get into 5 (2011) my tach jumps 500 or so RPMs upwards.

I agree that it disables the MDS, but it also makes me run higher RPMs. Anyone else notice this, or am I just crazy?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I don't manually shift my truck. What I am saying is that you guys suggest putting it in "manual" mode to disable the MDS, and if you put it in manual mode by pushing the down button once, you disable OD. So yes, you disable MDS, but you also reduce your capacity for cruising at lower RPMs.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe if you put it in 6 it still goes into overdrive, just not mds mode.

OP
OP
T

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put your truck into "6" manually. The truck will shift through the gears as it would normally. The MDS won't kick on. IDWTF people are saying when you "can't completely" turn MDS off. You can as that is how it is done by the book. Tow/haul mode also does this.

I wish I could link to other forums... There are 4 good sized threads on challenger/charger/ and some other ram forums that people have hand calculated MDS on/off and been either 2MPG LOWER and up to 3-4 HIGHER. Averaging out to 1-2MPG better. It being so hard to compare each tank of gas because no matter what each tank of gas is going to have a different mix of city/highway adding the room of error you get the same gas mileage. I got 21mpg on a 700 mile trip from texas to illinois. I got 23.7 on the way back with out it. It was more than enough to tell me, turn it off. So I can have a nice sounding exhaust, and I don't get my truck searching for gear to get MDS to activate every 5 seconds. Once you turn MDS off you can get what ever exhaust you want.

Do 4 cyl sound capable enough to keep a 5000+ pound truck moving down the road? They aren't. That's why you don't get gas mileage increases from it. It's cool tech, but honestly it's a ploy to sell vehicles.

well this convinced me. thanks for all the input guys, this is a great forum.

OP
OP
T

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
first off....welcome to RamForum

i have the 14" magnaflow and its not anywhere near as bad as some people claim when mds kicks in

by the way, your truck is ridiculous. really makes me wish i would've gotten the dark silver instead of black.

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '10 hemi and while cruising if I go from drive to 5 (which is the highest selectable gear) the rpms do jump up as if it is disabiling OD as jlb commented. Also reading somewhere I found that manual mode 3 is actually 2' the gear thats used for downshifting and therefore 4 is 3rd and 5 is 4th gear. While doing hard accelerations and playing with the shifter this seems to be true because selection 2 and 3 are very very close together rpm wise.