Magnaflow Muffler + MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TTC06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im curious now as to how much unecessary wear and tear the mds will do to the transmission with the constant shifting. seems like this is a classic example of some ******** epa mandate that has no effect but ruining trucks.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a '10 hemi and while cruising if I go from drive to 5 (which is the highest selectable gear) the rpms do jump up as if it is disabiling OD as jlb commented. Also reading somewhere I found that manual mode 3 is actually 2' the gear thats used for downshifting and therefore 4 is 3rd and 5 is 4th gear. While doing hard accelerations and playing with the shifter this seems to be true because selection 2 and 3 are very very close together rpm wise.

Yes it's going to jump up in rpm because it will downshift but keep driving it and the rpms will settle back to normal or if you want just drive your truck in drive and cruise it at 60 and see your rpms then slow down to a stop put it in 5 and pick it back up to 60 and cruise and you'll see that the rpms will be the same

1LowBlkRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am brand new member to this forum with a 2012 Ram 1500 w/ the hemi. I can't tell you how much I love this truck and all I can think about is all the stuff I want to add to it.

I have researched extensively about adding the magnaflow 18" muffler just to give the truck a little more sound. Just as I was getting ready to order the muffler I came across some people saying the muffler combined with the MDS sounds terrible. Like anything though half the people claim it's no big deal and the other half claim it's terrible. I really don't want to disable MDS. If anyone has an honest opinion about this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks guys

you can hear a little difference but not much with the 18 inch magnaflow muffler. if it gets under your skin just bump the trans over to manual shift mode and it will go away...

I went with the 18 inch muffler because i wanted to keep the drone out and it sounds decent, BUT if I were to do it again I would have gone with the 14 inch for a little bit more of an aggressive sound... My .02 cents anyways..

Good Luck

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Yes it's going to jump up in rpm because it will downshift but keep driving it and the rpms will settle back to normal or if you want just drive your truck in drive and cruise it at 60 and see your rpms then slow down to a stop put it in 5 and pick it back up to 60 and cruise and you'll see that the rpms will be the same

I will have to test this because I don't think it is true for a couple reasons.

Firstly I haven't seen mine "settle back to normal."

Secondly why would my "manual mode" only count to 5, and the 2012+ count to 6? We know the transmissions are physically identical, have the same gears, gear ratios, etc, and only the programming is different. If this is the case, then my 1 is your one, my 2 is your 2, my three is your three is our 2', and this continues up to where I reach 5, which is my "top" gear in manual mode, and then you get to shift to 6...? What is this magic gear 6 that our physically identical transmissions do not have in common? The only thing that makes sense to me is OD.

I suspect the new programming allows 2012+ to count OD in manual mode, which I in turn am very jealous of since I would love to cruise with no MDS in operation, and not lose a top gear. *And no, I cannot afford a tuner right now, otherwise I would just go that route lol.

After Post Edit Here: Top gear in manual mode for 2011 is 5, and for 2012 is 6. I kept saying I "shift once to get into manual mode gear 5" no one seemed to understand that 5 is the "top gear" for pre-2012 trucks, since many of you have 2012s.

Last edited:

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't really understand where the 6 came from to be honest I'll let someone else answer that but I've driven older dodge trucks and put it in 5 and the rpms don't act like they would when you disable overdrive on like the 3rd gens

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Guys the trannies in the 2009-11s are exactly the same as the 12s. Except for the programming.

5 speed ll 6 Speed
1st gear

explain please? i know theyre exactly the same just never really looked into what exactly they did to make the programming different

edit. you posted the difference same time i posted my question

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You have it backwards. The gear on the transmission input shaft gets bigger, as you shift higher. Since the input shaft, and output shaft are parallel the gear on the output shaft gets smaller the higher the speed you are traveling at. Bigger gear can apply a bigger moment with the same input force to the shaft it is rotating which is why you need smaller gears on output for higher velocities.

I stated that the trannys are exactly the same EXCEPT for programming in my previous post which you are responding to.

The next time I take my truck on the highway I will shift into my top "manual" gear which happens to read 5 on the EVIC.

Look at what you posted before:

5 speed ll 6 Speed
1st gear ll 1st gear
2nd gear ll 2nd gear
2nd Prime ll 3rd gear
3rd gear ll 4th gear
4th gear ll 5th gear
5th gear ll 6th gear

If my EVIC reads 5, and it is counting up from one that means that by shifting into manual mode which has a highest count in my truck of 5 means that I am losing the actual 5th gear, otherwise the EVIC would read 6, and I could be in the trucks 5th gear.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What does the EVIC read in your truck when you are in the highest gear in manual mode?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the 2011 and 2012 tansmission act the exact say way in auto mode. the only difference is in manual mode the 2012 gets use of 2nd prime and the 2011 does not.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Pretty sure they both get to use 2' in manual mode. I think the programming lets the 12s use 2nd prime as a forward gear under acceleration from a stop as well, but in the 2011s and down it is only used for downshifting.

So now we are making progress here Chaney. Mine reads 5 as the "top" gear, so I lose the top gear that you get to utilize under manual mode.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i know 2010s get to use second prime as a forward gear also and i have a video to prove it

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you put your truck in top gear manual mode, I don't think your truck will use it as a 2011(-) because it follows all its normal shifting patterns.

When forcing downshifts for slowing down or something you force your truck into it, but otherwise I think they just bypass it, except when downshifting for say passing or something, but if speeding up your 2011(-) shifts 1,2,3,... not 1,2,2',3

The 12s go 1,2,3 (2'),4 etc

Post your vid though. I would be happy to concede, and end this discussion, but obviously we all think we are right lol.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ill post two videos in a little bit one in drive and the second one starting in manual mode and shifting it manually

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Ya, but your sig says you have a 2012, which means we agree with you lol!!!

We would only disagree with your assessment if you had a 2011-.

Chaney, if you agree that we both get to use 2' in manual mode then if we end at a different top count (me 5, you 6) it means I am "losing" a gear by going into manual mode.

How do you get into manual mode? Maybe there are multiple ways to get into it... I always though you put it in drive, and then press the down arrow on the column once. If you have a center console maybe you can pull the shifter sideways to a +/- area, and that gets you into "manual mode." I have a column mounted shifter, so I have to push the - button once and thus go to 5.

Last edited:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Those were decidedly different. You can see the difference at 15 seconds. The tach jumps to 3300 from very high. It shifts from 2 to 3. In the second half of the vid at 35 seconds it drops by about 500 rpms as he goes into 2' then down to 3700 or so.

You can hear the partial shift in part two that you cannot hear in part one as well.

The title of the vid even describes it as the DIFFERENCE between drive, and manual.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those were decidedly different. You can see the difference at 15 seconds. The tach jumps to 3300 from very high. It shifts from 2 to 3. In the second half of the vid at 35 seconds it drops by about 500 rpms as he goes into 2' then down to 3700 or so.

You can hear the partial shift in part two that you cannot hear in part one as well.

The title of the vid even describes it as the DIFFERENCE between drive, and manual.

thats the whole point of the video to show that it uses second prime in manual mode just like the way my 2012 does im not arguing that there isnt a difference in drive and manual i was arguing the point that was made that pre 2012 can not use second prime as a forward gear in manual mode like 2012s can

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Ah, I see what you are saying. I almost addressed that in my response from awhile ago, but figured it was reasonably obvious that you can force through the gears like that since you have access to all of them. What I meant was that if you say put it in 4, and then did the same thing it would drive like in auto mode.

My bad for not being more clear lol.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 2011 and 2012 tansmission act the exact say way in auto mode. the only difference is in manual mode the 2012 gets use of 2nd prime and the 2011 does not.

I have to disagree. I owned a 09 and now own a 12 and they act very different. I had no problems with my 09 but with my 12 from 30-55mph under light throttle it stays around 1k rpm and feels like it doesnt know when to shift. I have to give it a lot of gas for it to downshift, then it takes off too fast because of how much throttle you have to give it.

The trans in the 12 (prob just programming) is different and I do not like it.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How do those of you with a center console get into "manual mode?" I think that the discrepancies we are arguing over may be there. On a column model you have to push the down arrow once which makes my EVIC read 5, and I suspect disables my OD. Those of you with center consoles may be able to go into "manual mode" differently.

I would think this would mean weird things for the guys swapping to center consoles from consoles though... There is no flashing required for this process right?