Magnaflow: From Single ---> True Dual Exhaust. Need opinions and parts list please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have the MF 16869, with 22" muffler. From what I am hearing, I could benefit from a true dual... Opinions???

FYI, I am in Cali so it MUST be able to smog. Cats have to stay, but maybe MF high-flow cats??

I definitely want to stick with MF, and I probably wanna stay with 22" mufflers. I am not looking for more sound, just performance.

What parts will I need to go true dual??
Thanks guys!

Edit: Below is my current exhaust, and I definitely want to keep my powder coated tips.

Attachments

• magnaflow_exhaust_system_hero_1.jpg
    magnaflow_exhaust_system_hero_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 457
  • Tips Powder Coated 1.jpg
    Tips Powder Coated 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am very happy with my 14" MF bullet true dual exhaust set up. Idle is deep, but not loud. Partial throttle is throaty without being harsh and no interior drone. When you hit it into WOT, it screams! Like any good exhaust should. I like the fact that it is very "mild-mannered" most of the time, but the balls drop when you wring it out. Also, if leaving the cats, start just behind the cats as the piping going from the drivers side to the Y is ****. It is very smashed down and deformed and is choking the truck. Since I installed the bullets, there is not a lot of room for expansion to get the deeper, bass tone, so a 12" tips swap was in order. This allows for more expansion for a deeper and throatier tone. Also, I put ones on that look identical to stockers from the back to keep some people none the wiser. Good luck and it was a great investment for me...minimal low end loss with killer mid to top end pull and no noticable loss of MPGs! (for those who care, haha)

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is what I've been through. New pipes from the cats to a new y pipe to the stock 3" to at first a borla cat back with resos. It was good at first but not the sound I was looking for so I cut the resos out. This didn't really help. So I decide to do the muffler delete. Now it's too loud plus I lost some low end not really liking it. I just ordered a maggy 14" should be here Monday. I do believe that you need a little back pressure IMO. This is just what I felt from my truck.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I got great sound, plenty of flow for future mods, and the whole set up cost me right at $300 installed :waytogo:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
David what are your future goals? 3" does flow a ton, like Random said, and if you aren't looking to do head work or having a blower on top, I would probably stick to changing the Y pipe. Of course if you just want it to have it I would look at the magnaflow x pipe and dual 14s. You should be able to keep everything the same after the mufflers.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys for all your responses.
It sounds like 50/50. Am I jumping the gun on wanting to do this? I don't really have much more planned performance wise, at least not in the near future. Maybe I am just itching to do "something, anything..." :)

Would swapping the cats with MF high flows benefit me any??

Should I just leave it and do the Y pipe??

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are looking for a sound change go for the 14 and y pipe. Stock cats flow pretty darn good for what they are and you don't have to deal with anything like throwing CELs like you might get with the HF cats. Last if you are itching to do something maybe look into stereo build like unbroken hehe.

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
if your like me its never enough so if your going to make changes to your exhaust go true duals right away so your not re doing it down the road like i am haha

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without some form of forced induction there's absolutely no need for true duals on these things other than to be loud. Even after forced induction it's questionable. A 3" pipe flows a lot of air.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All great advise guys!

Not looking for sound, just performance. In L.A. sound means more attention and tickets (I have already received a "loud exhaust" ticket on a different vehicle with a Banks). With my checkered past, I do NOT need more attention...Lol! ;)
I am relatively happy with my current stereo, humble as it may be. :) Though Unbroken's stereo is one of the best, if not the best in the country. To do his stereo I would need a $20k kinda itch... Lol!

Do you guys think it I should do the MF Y-pipe at least???

Last edited:

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
if your going to change the Y pipe why not just get some american racing headers from Matt lol those come with hi flow cats and the Y pipe

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if your going to change the Y pipe why not just get some american racing headers from Matt lol those come with hi flow cats and the Y pipe

I'd love to, however I already have JBA shorties and they are smog certified. Cali is a *****... others won't pass smog :(

Last edited:

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
that sucks...how does cali expect people to build street/strip vehicles lol id say give the Y pipe a shot...even if you don't like it or feel a difference your only out 60 bucks..ive spent way more then that on a night of drinking

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Good point! How is installation on the Y pipe? It would be done by a shop unless it is as easy as LEGOs for 3 year olds! :)

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
i had my headers put on by the dealership when i was deployed so I don't remember what the stock Y pipe looked like by mine from ARH is welded to pipes from the headers and clamped on the single side...if yours is clamp to clamp it would be simple otherwise your going to need to cut the old one out and weld the new one in

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should change the tone of it also so there is another plus to it.