magnets on oil filter, who does it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
thinking about putting some magnets on the SIDE (not the bottom) of the oil filter. use to do it on my old truck with no problems. anyone else do this on your engine oil filter? never seen or heard of any issues with it besides the concern of putting it right under the bypass valve for obvious reasons. the more "edges" or length of edge on the magnets you have the more surface area you have to collect iron debris.

one would assume that there should be no concern of flow issues (when used on the sides of the filter) in normal circumstances. If you have enough wear to cause enough buildup to restrict flow than something else is wrong. IMO.

the "filtermags" seem WAY to expensive so ill probably get something else.

FilterMag International |

thinking of getting a handful of these if they seem strong enough.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...440112530-c-19644.htm?tid=6093498968470813758

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...440128751-c-19644.htm?tid=6093498968470813758

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Your oil filter is going to catch anything of damaging value. This is just a "warm fuzzy" product.

yah.... but I like, warm....fuzzy... feelings... :naughty:

I think it would be a great idea for someone that is doing extended OCI because it keeps some particles out of the oil and the filter, maintaining "better" filter flow.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
im also just making educated guesses on how it could help. :anitoof: I konw there are guys out their that do it for sure. just wondering who

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yah.... but I like, warm....fuzzy... feelings... :naughty:

Some of us prefer the warm and smooth instead of fuzzy:roflsquared:

But I don't see any real benefit from it, but I also don't see any harm by it so it's one of those is it makes you feel good kinda things go for it.

My only thought is how much will you really be catching with how a filter is designed and the pressures its under will anything actually stay on the side of the filter where the magnet is? You'd really be better off putting a mag on the oil pan.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I know what it does, I see what it does, but as someone else likes to mention, I have not seen the "science" or testing that proves it is beneficial to any real world use.

Like I mentioned, a good filter is going to catch 99.9 percent of sized harmful contaminants. Anything smaller that gets past the filter is of such small micron rating to not even be a factor in wear.

The other thing also, it only catches ferrous metal, that is Iron and nothing else. Vast majority of iron wear is from the valve train. In theory, you are better off having regular oil analysis san this magnet to check for iron wear. Having the magnet installed and then running an oil analysis, is not going to let you know if you have excessive valve train wear occurring and needing to address it.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
all good points. do our drain plugs still have the magnet on the tip of them?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
yes, they are very expensive. yes, I have filter mags on many of my vehicles, including my riding mower. They also sell a filter canister opening tool, so you can cut the filter open and check out the stuff the magnets catch.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory, you are better off having regular oil analysis

This is what I do, I send a sample of my oil at every filter change... That may sound odd to some but the oil I run is generally good for 20k+ and I'll change the filter every 5k and send a sample out for analysis and they let me know the oil life and contaminate level of dirt, metal, fuel etc etc and all what is in normal spec to be seen. Lets me know what is going on inside.

Its a little more expensive to go this route but its cheaper to solve a minor issue than a whole motor when found.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have 3 large neodymium magnets attached to my Ultra since the first OC. It takes one heck of a force to pull them rascals off at the time of oil change.

I cut one ultra open at the 10K mile mark just to inspect.

Along the inside walls exactly where the magnets were attached to the outside. You can see the outline of the magnet by the actual very very fine metal particles that was stuck to the inner wall. {Attracted by the 3 magnets}.

I have always used them and always will on all my oil filters.

If you think it is a Nutty Idea contact ZF who created the 8HP70 and ask them why {They} went way out of their way and actually incorporated Magnets into their transmission pan.

Last edited:

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a helicopter inspector I frequently deal with oil samples, and on some occasions, chips. The oil samples are to analyze all sorts of parameters of the oil, from water and sulphur content, heavy metal content, etc. All of these things are in the 1-2 ppm range and don't disturb the way a gearbox or engine operates (most of the gearboxes I deal with are built by ZF by the way). Magnets are used on chip plugs throughout the assemblies to pick up chips. If a chip makes it to the filter it's fine, the filter is going to stop it. The reason we use chip plugs is to gather the chip where it was created to aid us in finding out where it came from. Putting magnets on your oil filter is completely not necessary, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would put it on the pan if I was pulling the pan all the time so i could wipe it out. otherwise the shavings are sitting their, in the sump, were they shouldn't be. in the filter they are at least out of the sump area and in the filter were they can be caught by the magnet or filter media if they get released some how. Googling filter mags shows results of catching things for sure.

Just another point of view. I do Agree that it is not necessary at all. but I also believe that it can only help and not hurt if put in the right place. It cant actually "do nothing" as it will be catching things guaranteed. but I understand the opinion that what it does is not necessary with a quality filter.

as for sending an oil sample for analysis every change instead of doing this, it totally makes scene. but you could also say that the magnet would defiantly give you some insight as to what is going on as well when you cut the filter open.

as always, this is just my friendly opinion, not arguing at all and im always open for discussion/learning.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This is what I do, I send a sample of my oil at every filter change... That may sound odd to some but the oil I run is generally good for 20k+ and I'll change the filter every 5k and send a sample out for analysis and they let me know the oil life and contaminate level of dirt, metal, fuel etc etc and all what is in normal spec to be seen. Lets me know what is going on inside.

Its a little more expensive to go this route but its cheaper to solve a minor issue than a whole motor when found.

Same here, I send sample in every 5K miles for analysis. An analysis is going to tell you way more of engine condition than magnets on oil filter.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would put it on the pan if I was pulling the pan all the time so i could wipe it out. otherwise the shavings are sitting their, in the sump, were they shouldn't be. in the filter they are at least out of the sump area and in the filter were they can be caught by the magnet or filter media if they get released some how. Googling filter mags shows results of catching things for sure.

Just another point of view. I do Agree that it is not necessary at all. but I also believe that it can only help and not hurt if put in the right place. It cant actually "do nothing" as it will be catching things guaranteed. but I understand the opinion that what it does is not necessary with a quality filter.

as for sending an oil sample for analysis every change instead of doing this, it totally makes scene. but you could also say that the magnet would defiantly give you some insight as to what is going on as well when you cut the filter open.

as always, this is just my friendly opinion, not arguing at all and im always open for discussion/learning.

That is true of not gaining access in the pan at a regular service interval, but as nickpohlaandp pointed out it helps pinpoint the source of the issue, which I believe is the main point behind the magnet idea. If you are getting that much material at the filter you have issues that need to be addressed in the motor that will prob lead to catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't say or argue its snake oil cause it is a helpful tool or process to find an issue and tell you the health of a motor, just have to be able to pinpoint the potential problem and at the filter makes that very difficult.

I am curious as to how much would actually be collected at the filter vs other locations though.... honestly I'd prob experiment with multiple locations and see where I get things.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That is true of not gaining access in the pan at a regular service interval, but as nickpohlaandp pointed out it helps pinpoint the source of the issue, which I believe is the main point behind the magnet idea. If you are getting that much material at the filter you have issues that need to be addressed in the motor that will prob lead to catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't say or argue its snake oil cause it is a helpful tool or process to find an issue and tell you the health of a motor, just have to be able to pinpoint the potential problem and at the filter makes that very difficult.

I am curious as to how much would actually be collected at the filter vs other locations though.... honestly I'd prob experiment with multiple locations and see where I get things.

god points, and idea.

with the magnet. your analysis wont tell you everything. and diff locations is a good idea. just......were? besides the filter and pan, could you put it and have easy access to the INSIDE were that shavings are?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
god points, and idea.

with the magnet. your analysis wont tell you everything. and diff locations is a good idea. just......were? besides the filter and pan, could you put it and have easy access to the INSIDE were that shavings are?

That I'm not sure about. I'm not really sure how the oiling routes are on these motors. I have never dove in that deep with the HEMI. I'd have to find some diagrams and study them to see where I would put them.

I'd look at it as sections like top half and right back left back, bottom end and filter.... but sensible access or easy access the drain plug and filter mag are about all you can do without getting to crazy.

But to be honest I have never really put much thought into it cause I have a lot of faith in the oil I run. But still curious as to what it looks like in physical form vs what I get in a printout or ppm of contaminates

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That I'm not sure about. I'm not really sure how the oiling routes are on these motors. I have never dove in that deep with the HEMI. I'd have to find some diagrams and study them to see where I would put them.

I'd look at it as sections like top half and right back left back, bottom end and filter.... but sensible access or easy access the drain plug and filter mag are about all you can do without getting to crazy.

But to be honest I have never really put much thought into it cause I have a lot of faith in the oil I run. But still curious as to what it looks like in physical form vs what I get in a printout or ppm of contaminates

well when I do it.....after my last 2 free oil changes.....i post pics of the cut open filter. dont plan on seeing of for about a year or so though LOL.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You must not drive that much... I'd burn through that fast... but hopefully soon the Ram will be the toy.. my plans keep changing....

But this does have me thinking now on how to keep an eye on things when I build this into more of a race oriented street vehicle. gives me points where I can quickly check for anything as I push it hard.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You must not drive that much... I'd burn through that fast... but hopefully soon the Ram will be the toy.. my plans keep changing....

But this does have me thinking now on how to keep an eye on things when I build this into more of a race oriented street vehicle. gives me points where I can quickly check for anything as I push it hard.

2 oil free changes that I will do very early.....current oil will come out with about 3,000 miles on it (2,000 to go), then around 3-5,000 for the next one and I may do the last on with my wife's explorer.. so in about 7,000 miles form now i MAY start my own oil changes and I will post results on that after a good 5,000 miles.

I drive about 8,000-10,000 a year max. so at least a year unless my impatient personality gets the best of me. iv been working on dealing with my impatient problem. is basically impossible. somehow im a calm slow driver though.

i know, i can be confusing

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys send oil analysis? i really want to but never sent one in... i just use PP, and 5k interval