Maintenance schedule from dealer...is this true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use pennzoil platinum with a fram ultra synthetic filter that says you can run 15000 miles but my truck oil life tells me to change at approximately 8000 miles so I just go by my trucks indicator

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My dealer said I have to follow the schedule or I lose out on my lifetime power train warranty. The dealership I purchased the truck from gives out lifetime power train warranties, but you have to follow their schedule.

Thanks for the info! Is there a specific thread I can read on about the oils? I see Burla said that he feels comfortable going 100K redline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some do that and it is a scam to get you to spend a bunch of money with them. Then they will just void it because you will miss something because life is busy etc. In Minneapolis area some dealers offered same stuff. The one I bought our T&C from doesn't have that loophole and only a million mile warranty but I'll take it as it doesn't require all those things to keep warranty active.

The list they gave is the awful just silly they make you pay for things you could do yourself.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My dealer said I have to follow the schedule or I lose out on my lifetime power train warranty. The dealership I purchased the truck from gives out lifetime power train warranties, but you have to follow their schedule.

Thanks for the info! Is there a specific thread I can read on about the oils? I see Burla said that he feels comfortable going 100K redline!

100k for the differentials not engine oil.
Check out the synthetic oil thread, a lot of great info there.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ram blows *** when it comes to their oil recommendations on the diffs. It is very confusing because they say "check" every 20k miles. There is a huge difference between mineral oils and ester based fluids when it comes to the diffs. Redline performance.

The oil just doesn't break down and also allows you to run cooler. Oil stop I believe recommends diffs change every 30k miles, and they say by using redline that doubles or triples what the recommend. There is a ton of stuff posted in the syn thread on this, more towards the front of it. I would feel very comfortable going 100k on redline in your average medium duty truck usage. Can go longer if your are basically a commuter truck, maybe less if you tow the hell out of it. Mineral oil is a crap shoot. Esters pay for themselves in the diffs, it is the most important or beneficial application where you should consider esters.
I didn't know there were any vehicles that still had non synthetic oil in their differentials... I know the HD's do so I assumed the 1500's did as well.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The crazy thing about this whole schedule is, if I decline any part of the maintenance that is due, I lose my lifetime powertrain warranty.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The crazy thing about this whole schedule is, if I decline any part of the maintenance that is due, I lose my lifetime powertrain warranty.

True, but you still do have the factory warranty.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
8-speeds are supposedly a lifetime fill from the factory.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yeah this is BS. Change the fluid at 60k. It's gonna be a ***** to do. But if you do any sort of towing your gonna wanna change the fluid ZF says it's lifetime but I don't buy it. I had a ZF 5HPFLA in my Audi. Said it was lifetime at 134K it took a ****. Audi said it was because the fluid was never changed.