Making the Sport hood scoops functional

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I saw that Mopar had a kit to make one of the scoops functional on the sport hood. I didn't like that design too much. I am thinking about going the veraram route and seeing if it would be possible to route the air from the vents to the veraram. So I placed the order for the vents from the 14 challenger. Hopefully they will be here soon and fit like I think and hope they will. Once I get them painted and installed I will look in to the veraram kit. Any thoughts on this? I am new to dodge with a '17 Sport coming from 20 years of GM trucks.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't worth the effort to try and make them functional.

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I saw that Mopar had a kit to make one of the scoops functional on the sport hood. I didn't like that design too much. I am thinking about going the veraram route and seeing if it would be possible to route the air from the vents to the veraram. So I placed the order for the vents from the 14 challenger. Hopefully they will be here soon and fit like I think and hope they will. Once I get them painted and installed I will look in to the veraram kit. Any thoughts on this? I am new to dodge with a '17 Sport coming from 20 years of GM trucks.

Not worth it at all! The vararam does enough on its own. Plus there is a 2 inch span of negative pressure that far back on the hood. Better just to do the vararam and let it work the way it's designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not worth it at all! The vararam does enough on its own. Plus there is a 2 inch span of negative pressure that far back on the hood. Better just to do the vararam and let it work the way it's designed.

Does really put out 30+ hp? I am always Leary of these air boxes.

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does really put out 30+ hp? I am always Leary of these air boxes.

I don't think any intake is capable of a 30 hp gain by itself but with the right mods at the same time I think it can! I had a k&n cai on my chevy and didn't see nearly as much from it. I love the gains I got from my vararam not to mention the look!!! b9e7ef1062df6dd4f860b01f89bc402f.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't think any intake is capable of a 30 hp gain by itself but with the right mods at the same time I think it can! I had a k&n cai on my chevy and didn't see nearly as much from it. I love the gains I got from my vararam not to mention the look!!! b9e7ef1062df6dd4f860b01f89bc402f.jpg

Man I wish they would do something like this for the 6.4 in the HD's. Every 5.7 guy that has installed one of these has been a happy camper.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you instead of over thinking the hood, come to florida and swap for my stock hood. This will keep you from ruining a great hood and those evil thoughts will be gone.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Have anyone actually looked at the wind tunnel test Ram did on these trucks or what? I'm sure if it was pointless, Mopar wouldn't done R&D to make it an functional addition to their intake. The wind tunnel test done did show air flowing to the vent area. Only time it wouldn't benefit from it is standing still idling.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Have anyone actually looked at the wind tunnel test Ram did on these trucks or what? I'm sure if it was pointless, Mopar wouldn't done R&D to make it an functional addition to their intake. The wind tunnel test done did show air flowing to the vent area. Only time it wouldn't benefit from it is standing still idling.

I'd like to the proof on this. That is a low pressure area on the hood and will usually try to pull air out of the engine at speed not push it in. The where extensive tests done in the 60's when everything had a hood scoop and only the ones that picked up at the base of the windshield or out at the grill area worked, everything else actually caused a lose of power.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I noticed the color matched goodys under the hood..What is it,paint or some sorta sheithing...
How bout a link of what ever it is please..

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The hoses are just covered with red wire loom purchased at my local oreilleys auto. Everything else is paint. Go to Moe's performance online. They have some nice billet accessories for in there!

Stampederfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

I replaced the non-functional vents on my 2010 Challenger with the functional ones used for the SRT. Not useful for an air intake but was not bad at exhausting heat from under the hood on hot days. The heat waves would be coming out of there pretty good. Might be useful for that purpose on your truck. More looks cool than anything else.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'd like to the proof on this. That is a low pressure area on the hood and will usually try to pull air out of the engine at speed not push it in. The where extensive tests done in the 60's when everything had a hood scoop and only the ones that picked up at the base of the windshield or out at the grill area worked, everything else actually caused a lose of power.

It's not a secret, it's on Ram's site and a quick Google search away. Also, comparing aerodynamics of our vehicles to test done in the 60s isn't valid. That's almost 60 years ago. A lot have changed since then.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There are a few reviews on the Mopar kit from people who actually tried it. So far, all the ones I've found said it help with torque. You can read more at Convert hood inserts to real intake | Page 3 | Ram Rebel Forum.

Here's a brief description.

This bolt-on system allow cooler outside air in through a directional cone filter and funnel it directly into the intake manifold. This kit provides noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions.
The new active Ram Air Duct readily adapts to the Sport Performance Hood. It increases the volume of outside air channeled into the Mopar Cold Air Intake system. There are measurable gains in horsepower and torque at certain speeds and atmospheric conditions which result in improved fuel economy. The kit includes all attaching hardware and gaskets. Required Mopar Cold Air Intake system sold separately.
Model(s):
Ram 1500
Model Year(s):
2013 2014 2015 2016
Part Number(s):
- See more at: Ram 1500 Cold Air Intake (Part No: 82214741)

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the replacement scoops ordered and they should be here today or tomorrow. I'm going to paint match them with my bug shield if the weather permits this weekend. I like to tinker with stuff esp my trucks. So if they don't do anything but allow me to paint match them to my hood I'll be happy.

I've always been torn on the CAI kits. I think they are 75% looks and 25% performance. I've had them on all of my trucks and ended up just swapping out the baffled stock tubes with a straight one and religiously change my paper filter every few months.

But that is just me and my old fart opinions. LOL

ERJ_3 thank you for that link!

Ozlinares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was wondering if anyone has a sport hood for sale in the so cal area that fits a 2015 1500 Ram?