Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Manfold Bolts breaking and warranty

This is a discussion on Manfold Bolts breaking and warranty within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
So I have a new '17 Sport with 9k miles on it. Is there still a problem with the bolts ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shane1981
  • 1 Post By Tach_tech
  • 1 Post By huntergreen

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default Manfold Bolts breaking and warranty
So I have a new '17 Sport with 9k miles on it. Is there still a problem with the bolts breaking? The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about going ahead and replacing mine with stage 8 as a preventative measure. Good idea or not necessary? If I go an swap them and one is already broken would it be covered under warranty to have it removed?

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
icetraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: hemi 5.7
stage 8's are for headers and will be too short i know they make some manifold bolts but i dont think they make them for the hemi . go to a hardware store and get some grade 8 bolts but as long as its under warranty they should fix them. if the bolts dont break before the warranty is up id say your not gonna have an issue. pull the fender wells out and the tourque spec is 23 ft lb's.

tuned by jay greene
768mph likes this.
shane1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2010
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Mine broke at 82k and replaced with grade 8 bolts if given the chance to do over I'd upgrade before they broke because they had to weld a nut to my broken stuff to be able to extract it from the block and ended up being more expensive plus the reason I didn't want to do myself . Id change em before they do break. And if they break under warranty they'll just replace them with the same junk ones. Only to happen again out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miguelherrera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine: HEMI 5.7
Or possibly get the lifetime warranty and not worry about it or most other things...

Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7
The issue isn't just the bolts, it's the horrible design of the manifolds

All that crap should be replaced if you dont want any issues down the road.

MOPAR C.A.I, JBA Long Tubes, Magnaflow Exhaust, HEMIFEVER tune, Mag-Hytec Trans pan, G2 diff cover, Redline 5w30, Redline C+ in trans & T-Case, Redline Gear Oil in diffs, Jet 180 Stat, UPR Billet Catch Can, Rancho Quick Lifts + Rancho RS9000 Rear, 1.5 Zone Body Lift, FoxBox with 12" Alpine Type R's,Alpine 7" Head Unit, Alpine 1000watt amp, Alpine 4 chan, Alpine Type R 6.5" components.
DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by icetraxx View Post
So I have a new '17 Sport with 9k miles on it. Is there still a problem with the bolts breaking? The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about going ahead and replacing mine with stage 8 as a preventative measure. Good idea or not necessary? If I go an swap them and one is already broken would it be covered under warranty to have it removed?
I am in the same boat as you. My opinion is they can replace under warranty if it becomes an issue and after I will switch them out with shorty headers and stage 8 bolts (not for power just to fix the issue). Unfortunately Rams are not the only ones with this problem, I have heard Chevy does and I know Ford does as Ford refuses to use stainless steel bolts on theirs and they rust and break.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7L HEMI
Originally Posted by grizzstang View Post
I am in the same boat as you. My opinion is they can replace under warranty if it becomes an issue and after I will switch them out with shorty headers and stage 8 bolts (not for power just to fix the issue). Unfortunately Rams are not the only ones with this problem, I have heard Chevy does and I know Ford does as Ford refuses to use stainless steel bolts on theirs and they rust and break.
The issue is the aluminum head and a cast iron manifold. They expand/contract at different rates, which can cause the bolts to break. The factory bolts have been upgraded a few times but we still see the problem on 2014+ trucks. It's not as common but we still see it.
grizzstang likes this.
Tach_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 Ram Express QC
Engine: 5.7 Hemi, 8sp
Ha I knew someone told me they had better bolts now.

2016 Harley Davidson Low Rider, 103 H.O. , PCV Tuner Rinehart exhaust.
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: steve

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: hemi 5.7
better bolts? all that tells me is that it will either take longer for them to break, or something else is going to crack.
shane1981 likes this.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7L HEMI
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
better bolts? all that tells me is that it will either take longer for them to break, or something else is going to crack.
The head/manifold aren't going to crack. The bolts are the weak link and it's always the studs on the ends of the manifold that break. They're not going to redesign the manifold/head to try to reduce the issue. Cost far to much for that. Upgrading bolts is the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.
Tach_tech is offline   Reply With Quote