Manifold studs. Ticking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this has been discussed a million times but I just have a quick question and then this can be deleted.
How can I confirm I have a broken manifold stud, is it easy or a big hassle to get in there and look?
I have a 45 mile drive to the nearest dealership and I want to figure out the issue so I can show them when they say "oh it's normal"
Again, I apologize for kicking a dead horse [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look thru the wheel well at the exhaust manifolds. Broken studs will be missing if fallen off. Sometimes there is a heat shield attached to the head of the studs and you'll need to try and wiggle/tighten the nut on the stud. You'll know it's broken when you wiggle them. Happened 3 times on my '09 before I sold it at 130k miles.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look thru the wheel well at the exhaust manifolds. Broken studs will be missing if fallen off. Sometimes there is a heat shield attached to the head of the studs and you'll need to try and wiggle/tighten the nut on the stud. You'll know it's broken when you wiggle them. Happened 3 times on my '09 before I sold it at 130k miles.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Thanks pal[emoji1303]

Thread can be deleted now

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Not hard at all. Remove front tires and plastic wheel wells and youll be looking straight at it. Remove the heat shield and you can test each bolt with a little 1/4 wrench.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
not sure where you're located but it's hot as hell now a days, if the tick goes away or gets significantly quieter after a few minutes when the engine gets warm its probably a broken bolt.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could mine be bad also. 2011 with only35000 on it. Tick from pass side and goes away pretty much as soon as truck idles down within a minute
When cold

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've done a few on my wifes Durango and helped a few friends on theirs. It is really easy. I got new Mopar exhaust bolt kit and exhaust gaskets for under $50. Took 2 hours the first time, can almost do it under 1.5 hours now..

But like mentioned before, just look at the heat shield, should have broke off right at the manifold, leaving about an 1" of bolt once you have it off. I have pictures of it somewhere on this site.

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure where you're located but it's hot as hell now a days, if the tick goes away or gets significantly quieter after a few minutes when the engine gets warm its probably a broken bolt.

No it doesn't go away. You can hear it best at 800-1000 rpm when pushing on the gas (when engine is under load/trying to accelerate)

Can hear it much better underneath the truck vs looking from above with the hood popped.

I'm almost thinking it's a leak where the exhaust goes from 2 to 1 pipe.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So if i put a wrench on bolts and trie and loosen. That will tell me if its broken. Do i risk doing an damage trying this.?