Manual Shift Doesn't Work - Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ERS used to work, but haven't used in a a couple months. I really never used it a whole lot myself. Now when I hit the +/_ buttons on the hwy I get nothing. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Is there a setting where I might have disabled it? Couldn't find anything indicating as such in the manual. Or does it sound like a malfunction? No warning lights or anything. I tried everything I can think of can't get it to work. I even READ the 'big' manual!! :roflsquared:

It's a 2012 base truck 6 spd 5.7. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably a switch module failure or connection. All the other steering wheel buttons work? Wait, does the 2012 have steering wheel buttons?

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's on the stalk (base), I should have mentioned that.

I just noticed in the manual it looks like there's a 20A fuse (J18) for 'Transmission Range'. I'll give that a look tomorrow.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
for whatever reason on my 17, i can only enter manual mode by pressing and holding the "-" on the shift lever. been this way since new

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I got the ERS (Electronic Range Select) working.

J18 fuse was ok, but I wiggled it anyway, it didn't have any effect. Driving it, I tried holding either button down for an extended period of time (up to 1 min or so each) with no effect either. Then I went into the tried and trued 'go crazy' mode where I toggled back and fourth on the plus/minus buttons 50 - 60 times or so and eventually it started working like it should. After that it seemed to go into and out of the ERS mode like normal.

I suspect the contacts inside the stalk may have been dirty. Number one, I don't use it a lot, number two, it was pretty dirty inside from the former owner; Number three, they pea-graveled the road by our house this summer and it decided not to rain for like 1 1/2 months so everything got really dusty. Perhaps the contacts got really dirty, or became wet when I did a big clean job a couple months ago. Fingers crossed. As of right now it works.

Last edited:

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope that that’s all that’s wrong with mine because I can’t even get into my lower gears because my plus minus button won’t work and I don’t know what’s causing it either and my trucks always clean