MaxCare Lifetime Warranty + Tuner = Bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So having previously bought the MaxCare Lifetime warranty I know I'm in for the long haul with my truck. I've given thought to picking up a tuner but I'm worried that will cause problems with getting coverage under the warranty if an issue develops later on.

Has anyone had the same concerns? What did you decide to do?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
This is an excellent question. I wonder if the dealer would deny warranty repairs if tuned?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
The Magnusson act says that the dealer has to prove whatever modification one does caused the failure. The only problem is that im sure dealerships have more cash for lawyers...

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand how the Magnusson act works but since the dealers lawyers can probably find a way to "prove" anything they want (or at least make it really hard to disprove them) I have always been hesitant to do certain upgrades. I always wanted a lifted truck so I got the dealer to agree to add a lift as part of the sale on my latest truck in order to maintain my warranty. As far as a tuner I personally wouldn't do it because from what I've read even after you reset everything back to factory specs it still leaves a "trail" which tells them you did have a tune installed at some point and they can use that against you.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have heard about it leaving a trail as well. But can anyone confirm if it leaves a trail on the newer trucks where you have to swap the entire PCM from the factory one to a modded one? If you switch back to factory PCM is there a finger print.

bretttn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Each dealer can reply differently, but the area manager is who really approves major warranty work. If they can have a reason to deny $5,000 in free work I'm sure they just might take that route even though your dealership would gladly do the repairs. Sadly this is why I am staying pretty much stock. I plan to run this truck as long as they let me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any failure directly attributable to the tuner(engine or drivetrain) probably will not be covered. If all of a sudden your electric windows, for example, quit working, I'm assuming that those would still be covered. My rule of thumb, which a lot of guys take exception to, is that if you can afford a tuner you should be able to afford to pay for any damage it might cause. IMHO lying about the presence of a tuner on your truck is just a matter of personal integrity. If the warranty claim is high enough, the parts will be sent back to the factory along with the PCM etc. and they will do a forensic examination of the electronics and be able to prove you had a tuner. If you lied about it, that's when I think your warranty would be cancelled.
Jay

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Any failure directly attributable to the tuner(engine or drivetrain) probably will not be covered. If all of a sudden your electric windows, for example, quit working, I'm assuming that those would still be covered. My rule of thumb, which a lot of guys take exception to, is that if you can afford a tuner you should be able to afford to pay for any damage it might cause. IMHO lying about the presence of a tuner on your truck is just a matter of personal integrity. If the warranty claim is high enough, the parts will be sent back to the factory along with the PCM etc. and they will do a forensic examination of the electronics and be able to prove you had a tuner. If you lied about it, that's when I think your warranty would be cancelled.
Jay
Perfect answer...to me that is. I agree that hiding anything to get something for free is deceitful and wrong. I have to agree that if you can afford the tuner, and any other modifications, over the initial price of the vehicle (our trucks aren't cheap!), then you should be able to pay for any damage you may do. Its great fun romping on the HEMI trucks....but i saw a great sign in a performance shop once. It says: "IF IT'S GOT T*TS OR WHEELS, SOONER OR LATER IT'LL GIVE YOU PROBLEMS" I couldn't agree more!!

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the same boat. I have 5000 miles on my 17 and I'm buying a tuner. Why spend the extra and have 2 pcm if the dealer can find the "footprint" from the tune? Might as well do the exchange and roll with it.
They will crap when I bust it open and cam it anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just like a lot of other stuff we all have to deal with almost daily------
Cost vs Benefit :naughty::naughty: (See last sentence in signature)
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i know i wouldn't use a tuner and expect my lifetime warranty to be honored. you have to pay to play. to be honest, i am not sure that magnuson act covers tuners. it covers other than dealer parts. you reprogram the ppm, its a whole other ball game.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in the same boat. I have 5000 miles on my 17 and I'm buying a tuner. Why spend the extra and have 2 pcm if the dealer can find the "footprint" from the tune? Might as well do the exchange and roll with it.
They will crap when I bust it open and cam it anyway. Lol

I thought about this for my 2016 and was gonna do the PCM swap but I have changed my mind and was gonna keep the stock PCM and pay the $599. Bad idea? They can still track it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought about this for my 2016 and was gonna do the PCM swap but I have changed my mind and was gonna keep the stock PCM and pay the $599. Bad idea? They can still track it?

That's what I am wondering also

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for this long answer: If you replace the PCM there will be a difference in the mileage recorded on the PCM vs. the mileage on the speedometer if you switch back to the stock PCM. While I haven't ever heard of a dealership doing this there is still a discrepancy in the mileages recorded. That may be one way, at the dealership level, they could check to see if the PGM has been replaced. My personal opinion about these tuners and the effect they have is if you drive the **** out of your truck, race stoplight to stoplight every day and then go out to the drag strip every weekend and beat on your truck a 1/4 mile at a time, I'm sure sooner or later you're going to have issues. If you drive reasonable, getting on it every once and awhile but don't beat your truck to death, I think you and your truck will do just fine. I think you'll have to look long and hard on this forum or others before you'll see someone that got into a real fight with a dealership regarding repairing a truck with a tuner. I'm sure you might find some instances but it sure doesn't happen very often, that I know of. Talk to your dealer, establish a relationship with the service writers and the service manager and see what their attitude about tuners is and see if they will work with you if you have a problem. And start the conversation BEFORE you have a problem.
Jay

Last edited:

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Ill tell ya, Jay has it goin on. Excellent advice here.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you. Many many years of expensive lessons. :naughty::naughty:

Jay

What if I'm scared that my dealer won't allow a tuner for the warranty, haven't talked to him and I've already gotten the tuner[emoji15][emoji85]

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What if I'm scared that my dealer won't allow a tuner for the warranty, haven't talked to him and I've already gotten the tuner[emoji15][emoji85]

Lesson learned. Even if your dealer says it's OK, you are tied to that dealership which is no help if you have an out of state. Like Jay said, the dealer doesn't have the final say if you drop a piston and take out the cam.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I don't think any dealer can allow you to install a tuner. I think that some dealers are a little more lenient regarding tuners when it comes to warranty work--depending on the cost of the repair. Something minor OK, but a new tranny or an engine rebuild probably not. That's why I say, if you can afford a tuner, be prepared to pay for any damage it might do to your truck in case the dealer is real stickler about mod's.
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think any dealer can allow you to install a tuner. I think that some dealers are a little more lenient regarding tuners when it comes to warranty work--depending on the cost of the repair. Something minor OK, but a new tranny or an engine rebuild probably not. That's why I say, if you can afford a tuner, be prepared to pay for any damage it might do to your truck in case the dealer is real stickler about mod's.
Jay

Any idea what a new 8 speed trans cost? I don't want to find out.