MDS on a '16 Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
MDS shuts off four of the eight cylinders for extra economy. To engage MDS, you have to drive off a cliff with your foot off of the accelerator.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys I have a 2012 Ram 1500 ST Regular Cab with the 5.7L Hemi 6 speed. I bought my truck used with 32k miles on it and it came with a K&N 63 Series Intake and a Flowmasters exhaust.

My question is, when I'm driving with the trans in the D position and not "manual shifting" my truck seems to make a loud "choking" sound or muffle sound from my K&N intake. The exhaust has a weird muffle/gargle to it aswell. But once I put the truck into the "manual shift" mode and I just drive with that in 6th gear, I dont get those noises. Is the noises the MDS system working? It only does it during real light throttle or if I'm in Drive and I'm doing like 35-45 and lightly hit the gas. It seems to do it when I'm in a higher gear and at a low RPM.

It has me concerned because it's something I've never heard on any other vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned all kinds of turbo and non turbo cars with intakes and exhausts.

It almost sounds like my intake is choking and my exhaust is, in a sense, choking aswell. I can't tell if it's the MDS doing this or what.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh I should also add that when I had my old truck, an 06 Hemi Ram, I put an intake on it and it made almost the SAME exact sounds so I took it off that truck and put my stock intake back on and it went away. At low rpms and light throttle it sounded like the intake was choking or hiccuping. Was that the MDS on that truck aswell?

The reason I'm not too worried about the noises on my 2012 is because my 06 did almost the same thing when I put in an intake so I am just thinking it's an MDS thing but now I want to be sure of it so I figured I'd ask on here. Thanks.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wtf is the MDS Stand for? I have no idea what it is or what it does lol. I get the green eco light but thats it

MDS = Multi Displacement System.
Shuts down 4 cylinders of your 8 cylinder truck to conserve gas when you are putting around town. (Obviously, the more you get on the "GO" pedal, the more gas you will use and the MDS doesn't kick in. There is a way of turning the MDS off temporarily when driving the truck. Just have to redo it every single time you enter and exit the vehicle. Or,....you could buy a new PCM/tuner and it will disabled permanently.)

Eased

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Using a DiabloSport T1000 Trinity tuner you can toggle MDS on/off permanently. Otherwise you have to go into manual mode, then set to the max gear (6 or 8). Alternatively MDS is also disabled when overdrive/tow-haul mode is enabled.