MDS issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y'all. I've noticed an issue and I am unaware of how long it's been going on. My '13 Hemi rarely goes into Eco mode anymore. I do have about 90k on it but the only way it goes in is by letting off the gas pedal a lot and even then it doesn't hold. Ideas?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco mode is just a light that shows you you're driving economically.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eco mode is just a light that shows you you're driving economically.
Eco mode light NEVER illuminates. That is not normal. Also, on the 13's it was directly related to MDS being initiated. Years before that it did not indicate that but the latter years it does. It is very easy to tell when MDS activates and it no longer does unless under extreme conditions. It used to activate going 55mph until I pressed the gas pedal and the instant mileage went below 18mpg. Now it doesn't stay on unless I'm getting over 30 and when it falls below that instant mileage the MDS turns off immediately and the ECO light is never on.

All of that is not normal. I also have a 17 and that is working properly in compliance to what my 13 used to do and what is stated above.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get a tuner and turn that garbage off anyway. Eco mode if for soccer moms.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a tuner and turn that garbage off anyway. Eco mode if for soccer moms.
Unless your truck is your daily commuter of 80 miles round trip.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try using tow haul for a tank and not tow haul for a tank and see what you get, my guess you wont be saving much gas unless you have a lead foot on the freeway.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Eco mode light NEVER illuminates. That is not normal. Also, on the 13's it was directly related to MDS being initiated. Years before that it did not indicate that but the latter years it does. It is very easy to tell when MDS activates and it no longer does unless under extreme conditions. It used to activate going 55mph until I pressed the gas pedal and the instant mileage went below 18mpg. Now it doesn't stay on unless I'm getting over 30 and when it falls below that instant mileage the MDS turns off immediately and the ECO light is never on.

All of that is not normal. I also have a 17 and that is working properly in compliance to what my 13 used to do and what is stated above.

Start by resetting your adaptives by disconnecting the battery for 20 min then hold the positive and ground cable ends together, this will clear the adaptive learning program and you'll fire it up with default program. If it still doesn't activate after that then you'll need to get a computer on it to see if the solenoids are activating during driving.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Start by resetting your adaptives by disconnecting the battery for 20 min then hold the positive and ground cable ends together, this will clear the adaptive learning program and you'll fire it up with default program. If it still doesn't activate after that then you'll need to get a computer on it to see if the solenoids are activating during driving.
Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y'all. I'm gonna revisit this. I spoke with the dealership. I was informed that there is a PCM update that is currently out there causing this issue and the main complaint is 2-3 mpg less than what these trucks used to get. If you're experiencing this issue call, write, or email Ram and tell them. It's the only way they will correct this update is if enough people complain. I'm down right pissed since I drive a hundred miles per day.