MDS Solenoids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Hi,
I'm Shawn, I'm new here.
I have a 2012 Big Horn.
My MDS was working seamlessly up until a week ago. I had it scanned an d code P3401 came up. ( Cylinder 1 deactivation solenoid circuit open)
With an air hose, a vacuum, a flashlight, and inspection mirror I was able to determine the cause of the open.
The vacuum and air hose helped me clear the squirrels nest(literally) that was being built under the intake. The mirror helped me see that the little tree rat had chewed through both wires on the connector to the solenoid.

Now to the point. Can I repair this without removing the intake?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Hi,
I'm Shawn, I'm new here.
I have a 2012 Big Horn.
My MDS was working seamlessly up until a week ago. I had it scanned an d code P3401 came up. ( Cylinder 1 deactivation solenoid circuit open)
With an air hose, a vacuum, a flashlight, and inspection mirror I was able to determine the cause of the open.
The vacuum and air hose helped me clear the squirrels nest(literally) that was being built under the intake. The mirror helped me see that the little tree rat had chewed through both wires on the connector to the solenoid.

Now to the point. Can I repair this without removing the intake?
No. You need to remove the intake

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

OP
OP
theblackduck87
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Thanks.
I was afraid of that. Fortunately I only have to repair the connection. Unfortunately I have to remove the intake just for a connection.:drink_nl:

OP
OP
theblackduck87
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
I realize it's been quite a while but I wanted to tell everyone that it was not squirrels under my hood. I t was rats. Got 'em all though.
Rather than tackle this repair myself and possibly have to be under the hood constantly after the fact I took it to the dealer.
$650 later it was good as new with no issues(knock on wood). Couldn't happier with the service at my local dealer.