MDS trouble after replacing Solenoids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrJones86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Hoping maybe someone can suggest something new here.

One random Wednesday, my truck throws a CEL, starts misfiring, slugish etc. Check codes, looks like the OCV solenoid in my Ram went bad.

Pulled my intake manifold to change the OCV and found the caps on all MDS solenoids were rusted to **** and looked pretty nasty. My MDS made a bit of noise before anyway, so figured it'd be a good idea to replace all of them while I had it taken apart.

Old ones were a hell of a fight to pull out. Caps on top broke off all four. Had to put a screw into them and use that to pull them out.

New solenoids go in, put everything back together.

Truck runs fine except... MDS won't engage. Now it's throwing a P3441.
I can clear codes, start driving down the road, MDS will engage for maybe 5 sec, then disable and throw the P3441 code again.

Most commonly people end up finding a bad MDS solenoid for this code, but these are brand new and purchased direct from Mopar. Wiring was good before replacing the solenoid. Oil pressure is good, so maybe clogged oil passage?

Anyone have suggestions?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tune the MDS off, is what I would do.

How could that be rusty? Man.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's sucks ! What oil & filter are you running Sir ?
What's your typical oil change interval ?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Tough one. Barring a bent pin(s) in a connector, I would lean towards debris entry during removal????

OP
OP
D

DrJones86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's sucks ! What oil & filter are you running Sir ?
What's your typical oil change interval ?

I go to the local firestone shop for oil changes and pretty been good about sticking to standard 3k mi intervals. I believe they're using QuakerState oil, 5-20w.

OP
OP
D

DrJones86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tough one. Barring a bent pin(s) in a connector, I would lean towards debris entry during removal????

I was also thinking about this possibility. I did my best to prevent it.
Cleaned everything beforehand, had a shop vac on it while pulling it out, then wiped out the passage with a clean rag afterward and again before putting the new solenoid in. But still, impossible to know for sure.