Me vs 2014 6.2 / 6 speed Chev

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as luck would have it I ran into a white 2014 LTZ Chev.

he was driving rather aggressively so I intended to catch him at a light, and did. I don't get too many races at all, this would be like my 4th ever in this truck in 2-3 years.

2014 Chev w/ 6.2 makes 420 hp, and 440tq I believe *corrections??) So I figured it should actually be pretty close.

Light goes green (rough intersection) I think I caught a better light than he did, shifter into second perhaps a touch early with the slap stick, and he's pretty close, at my rear tire I would place him. Hit second and jump about another half length. Didn't wind second out completely. Maybe 70-80%

Shut it down there as speeds are getting pretty good.

Considering my mods (which are actually pretty light) and him being what I assume was stock, I say he held pretty good for an ext. cab.

now Im still trying to figure out how quick my truck actually is versus the rest of the world. Id say its quick, but not fast. Quick for a truck I assume. Id like to run against something like a Tremor (ran a 6.2 raptor, it was ugly for him) which is supposedly a 14.3-5 truck according to what I see online. Which theoretically should put me a length in front of him or so based on my ol trinity readout (14.1 @ 97.5 uncorrected) however reliable that is.

theres likely a bunch of new stock trucks that could hang or beat me. New 8 speed rams, maybe an ecoboost (though, I doubt it if a tremor possibly couldn't, the your run of the mill FX4 probably couldn't). I just wanna gauge what I can actually run with. Hell, for all I know an accord could outrun me haha

Was bored...so just posted for the hell of it.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good win. The 6.2 is not slow at all. It's one of the fastest trucks you can get from what I see.

OP
OP
P

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id probably be posting all over the Chev boards about my wins if chev would ever get their **** together and put a 6.2 in the RCSB.

Contrary to that, if dodge ever gave the 6.4 (SRT, not HD) to us RCSB guys id likely get that and be bragging since Im a MOPAR guy for the last decade or so.

I googled, and the CHEV makes 460 ft lbs!!!

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock for stock I think a 3.92/8 speed Ram would walk a 6.2/8 speed GM. The ratio's in the trannys are similar BUT most 6.2's that I've seen on lots(and the one I drove) come with 3.23 gears.

Now the 3.42's would make it a better run, 3.73's might be a problem ;)

RAM HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good win,I think because the 460lb-ft with auto 4x4 the Chevy can catch you on the beginning.

chiefman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i traded in my 08 denali 1500 with the 6.2 for my ram. She was quick but i hated the lag time between pressing the pedal and the trans responding. The quick throttle response of the 8spd in the ram , the ride, and tech sold me. The gmc was a good truck though.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If it was an LTZ..means it was a crew cab and much heavier than your RC as well.

That..with their neutered factory tune and gearing, I'd expect you to pull on him a bit.

OP
OP
P

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know. .i wasn't bragging. ..just learning my place in the truck performance world. ...as did he lol.

Though i had a 77 chev rcsb that was a blast and still has a special place in my heart

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I know. .i wasn't bragging. ..just learning my place in the truck performance world. ...as did he lol.

Though i had a 77 chev rcsb that was a blast and still has a special place in my heart

Sorry, wasn't implying that.

Let me rephrase - "hell yeah you pulled on that chevy, that guy should have known better than to mess with 2 door hemi truck" lol

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You never mess with a 2 door hemi truck...even mine scaling in at over 6800lbs :evillol: ive taught many a chevy 2500 owner a lesson in real power even with the miserable gearing in the 66rfe.

OP
OP
P

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
though to be fair, had I bought a Chev (my first choice, initially) I could have gotten away with supercharging it and not leaving the tranny laying in the middle of the road!

And it would have been a sweet ride as well, faster (after charging), but the interiors on the 07-13's just don't strike me as nicely finished.

The ram was the best overall in looks, interior, power and ride. I don't regret it at all....just wish I could give'r more power and have it be reliable.

Yeah a RCSB only has what....350 lbs savings over a CC? Something like that. Hardly seems worth the trade off for space, though I NEVER need the extra room and prefer the looks of a single cab any day of the week.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While these stories are certainly entertaining to read, let's really look at the big picture...w/o those mods you would have lost from the sounds of it.

From the Chevy's guy point of view...his heavy ass truck ran toe-to-toe with a modded regular cab hemi.

Good story though.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Stock for stock I think a 3.92/8 speed Ram would walk a 6.2/8 speed GM. The ratio's in the trannys are similar BUT most 6.2's that I've seen on lots(and the one I drove) come with 3.23 gears.

Now the 3.42's would make it a better run, 3.73's might be a problem ;)

I doubt it, the rags are showing low 14's stock for those trucks. There are not many of them out there though as you can't get a 6.2 in low end models. This line up may have had the guy having torque mgmt issues, who knows.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Car & Driver has it at 5.4 on the 0-60 and 14.1@99 1/4 mile bone stock. That's on par with my RCSB with mods and a tune. Impressive for a big truck.
Nice kill btw:favorites13:

OP
OP
P

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While these stories are certainly entertaining to read, let's really look at the big picture...w/o those mods you would have lost from the sounds of it.

From the Chevy's guy point of view...his heavy ass truck ran toe-to-toe with a modded regular cab hemi.

Good story though.

Yup...my sentiments exactly. Though, 30 hp, and 40 tq is kinda a big difference (stockwise) but probably offset by weight. Theyd probably be pretty close. I was running away through second on him when I stopped, and it would have been worse in 3rd for him had we gone that far I think.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt it, the rags are showing low 14's stock for those trucks. There are not many of them out there though as you can't get a 6.2 in low end models. This line up may have had the guy having torque mgmt issues, who knows.

I'll let you know how my truck runs against my neighbor Yukon Denali.........

Archaic2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good Kill! I'm not gonna lie If I could afford a 6.2L I would have one, but if I'm spending over 25k on a truck it's gotta be 4wd. I think all the ltz and high country 6.2L run close to 50 grand I think lol. Me poor haha.