Metal on Metal grinding sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still nothing new on this, although today I narrowed it down a little more and can recreate it about 90% of the time. Maybe now I can get back into the dealer and take the tech for a drive to show him.

Anyway, it happens between 2nd and 3rd around 1500 rpms at a little over 20 mph on light to moderate pedal. Heavy on the pedal and it doesn't happen. Happens on smooth and uphill but not downhill. Definitely coming from the back end. Sounds just like a newbie learning to drive stick and not quite getting the clutch.

Mine does the same thing, 6 speed or 8 speed. If its the 6 speed, its probably 3-4, and 4th gear is also the reverse band gear. Do me a favor again if 6 speed. After truck has been drivin, open your door, turn on the truck, wait for the rpms to drop below 1000, and put in reverse. Let me know if it makes a grinding sound... If all of the sound it probably the 4th gear..

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Mine does the same thing, 6 speed or 8 speed. If its the 6 speed, its probably 3-4, and 4th gear is also the reverse band gear. Do me a favor again if 6 speed. After truck has been drivin, open your door, turn on the truck, wait for the rpms to drop below 1000, and put in reverse. Let me know if it makes a grinding sound... If all of the sound it probably the 4th gear..
I'll try that in a bit, gotta go to the store later. It's a 6 btw.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try that in a bit, gotta go to the store later. It's a 6 btw.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yeah i wish i had an 8 speed. Let me know if it does that, if so, its most likley normal... sadly, i didn't believe the dealership, but i took it to a IRF (independent repair facility) and they said its normal, all Chrysler transmission make a lot of noises.

My friends 5 speed, does it even louder than mine

Stevieh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever get anywhere with this? Having the exact same issue

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member