Misfire of cylinder number 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe A.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello to everyone here..I'm new to site and have some questions about the problem I'm having with my 2011 Ram Bighorn..5.7 liter with MDS.. I bought it used 3 mnths ago and of course the warranty is up and I'm having a misfire in cylinder number 3..I've changed the plugs/coil pack/injector...no broken rocker arms/valve springs...etc... I did compression test and have a little over 150lbs in 4 of the cylinders I have checked..I checked 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 cylinders...I was told that having the wrong weight oil can cause a misfire..that it messes with the sensors or something to that effect..so I'm changing oil tomorrow mornin... now at an idle it's a little rough...and even going really easy up the,rd it's ok somewhat. But soon as I step on it a little harder to pass someone or get on highway the check engine light symbol that stays on all the time starts flashing and the truck starts running really rough and I lose power and pull over and shut it off right away..so it only happens when under a load...I'm at my wits end with this damn truck.. anyone have any other info that may help me? I really appreciate any help..thnx much

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you hear the engine misfiring? The tick?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pull valve cover on that side, have someone turn the motor over with a ratchet on the crank pulley, (Easier if you remove a spark plug on each cylinder) measure valve lift on cyl#3. compare to cylinder next to it.
Sounds like a cam lobe worn

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^^^ this. and ive never heard of oil weight causing a misfire .

tuned by jay greene

OP
OP
J

Joe A.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes only when I 1st start it there is a tick BUT goes away after a few minutes..which I was told is a broken exhaust bolt and once it's heated up it goes away

OP
OP
J

Joe A.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A mechanic that works on Police cars said the dodge chargers had many misfires due to incorrect oil weight..I've never heard of that either..once the correct oil was used it corrected the problem he said

OP
OP
J

Joe A.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had the cober off last week..lol..I will see if my buddy can do that with me seeing as he is the mechanic..I'm praying its not the cam lobe..I don't have the money to put into it seeing how I just pd 20 grand for the thing..I want to see about a leak down test also..see if my buddy knows how to do that. Hoping it my just be,a bad valve at the,worst..thnx to all you guys for the,help..much appreciated

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By the way.. I have the same year/truck/trim had terrible tick caused by collapsed lifter.. The lifter ATE in to the cam lobe. Never lost noticeable power driving like this (2-3 days)

Is start with the electrical first. Did you check plugs? Wires, Then Solenoids?

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By the way.. I have the same year/truck/trim had terrible tick caused by collapsed lifter.. The lifter ATE in to the cam lobe. Never lost noticeable power driving like this (2-3 days)

Is start with the electrical first. Did you check plugs? Wires, Then Solenoids?

Whoops I see now you checked electrical. Sorry!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Joe, I doubt it is the oil, but you could always drain the oil and put in the 5-20 wt. Have you checked for stored codes?