Mopar LSD queston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In terms of construction what does the Mopar LSD for 2011up trucks compare to in the aftermarket? Thanks!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
not sure what your asking, but the mopar is clutch based. as for aftermarket with the ZF rear, there isn't much support. auburn i believe has an LSD, but opinion is to sick with the mopar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not sure what your asking, but the mopar is clutch based. as for aftermarket with the ZF rear, there isn't much support. auburn i believe has an LSD, but opinion is to sick with the mopar.

ahh that might be it! lack of clarity but you answered my question! "clutch based" which appears to be the same type as what's currently available from Auburn and Yukon.

Would you happen to know if the MOPAR unit is rebuildable?

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at aftermarket units when I wanted to install a LSD in my 16 Rebel last fall, and decided the oem unit is the better way to go. It is a clutch based design and it does not preload the clutches like the after market type.
It is a similar design as the clutch packs in an automatic transmission, or the clutch stack up in a motorcycle. As shown in the photo, you can see the clutch packs under the outer gear sets.
It does work real good. I purchased it for a good price from Moe's with bearings.

Attachments

• LS Diferential.jpg
    LS Diferential.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at aftermarket units when I wanted to install a LSD in my 16 Rebel last fall, and decided the oem unit is the better way to go. It is a clutch based design and it does not preload the clutches like the after market type.
It is a similar design as the clutch packs in an automatic transmission. As shown in the photo, you can see the clutch packs under the outer gear sets.
It does work real good. I purchased it at a good price from Moe's.

thank you sir!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
""Clutch design (similar to a AT)!""
One thing don't neglect service of this unit.

Dirty fluid does Not Play well with these clutch designs... Just like a Auto Transmission!
If you neglect --->your Anti-Slip will not perform like it should very long. They like clean oil!

They made the service very easy & mess free!
Don't be lazy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dirty fluid does Not Play well with these clutch designs... Just like a Auto Transmission!
If you neglect --->your Anti-Slip will not perform like it should very long. They like clean oil!

Don't be lazy!

copy all....driving my buddies 3.92 geared RAM w/factory LSD has me chompin at the bit!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most likely the LSD unit is rebuilds, from a dollar standpoint, it is a remove and replace.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Don't be lazy!

I am a firm believer in changing my diff fluid with Mobile1 LS every 40K miles on my trucks, and never had any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba