More 545 Trans conversation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have been playing with a lot of crap trying to figure out this damn transmission and how it can't make up its mind on what it's doing and everything keeps bringing me back to the traction control system.

Does anyone know how this system works and can explain it, does it retard the trans by slipping it or does it use the ABS to apply the brakes to prevent over powering the wheel?

As I'm sure many of you have read or are tired of reading my trans issues, I have a new issue I cannot explain (mostly due to lack of knowledge of the TC system) Been having the shifting and downshifting issues and trans slipping more than Wile E Coyote on a banana peal... So If I turn off the traction control the trans shifts, a little sloppy but it does how its supposed to for the most part. but still has poor performance.
so yesterday I turned off the TC system and manually shifted the truck and it runs like a ***** ape.... like it normally does...

So how does it run good in one way and not the other way?? and the only thing I can think of is that its not a hard part issue but a computer control issue of pressure as a result of the TC system somehow???

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much, but if I had to guess, When the computer senses loss of traction, because the wheel sensors are telling the computer, that the rear wheels are going a lot faster than the front, the computer shuts down the fuel injectors.

In other words, engine power is cut.

If your truck runs great in "Manual Mode", sounds to me as tho you have a software problem. Maybe see if Hemi Fever can re-do your tune.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe this will help, maybe a water of your time. There two systems, traction control and the other, can't recall the name. Traction control is the break system, there is an anti roll system that activates if the computer senses you are loosing control and in danger of rolling the vehicle. It cuts power and slows you down. After a day of Wheeling in a wrangler, my friend had unknowingly damaged some front end and steering components as well as knocking out the alignment. Trying to get home the anti roll system kept cutting power because everything was out of wack even though he was driving in a straight line, the wrangler thought he was heading for a roll over. In other words, something is telling your computer that it needs to cut power. If this is your issue, you have to track down why your ecm is getting this signal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess it's called electronic stability control, which is different than the traction control. Though they may work together as well as independently. Btw,not tired of your trans posts.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Did you have hemifever mess with the trans settings?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Traction control has zero effect on your transmission.

Traction control will operate two ways, using the brakes to stop wheel slippage, as well as pulling power from the engine.

The other system is stability control. This is mainly accomplished using the brakes.

Also even with traction control turned off it’s not 100% off. Stability control will still be enabled, but traction control will be minimized.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have hemifever mess with the trans settings?

1 time yes, but I am running on stock tunes and having the same issues I was having before I tuned the truck... truck ran great with the tune but still ended up having trans failure within 5-9k miles.

I figured it had to do with braking or derating the engine cause I get that issue with just turning out of my driveway and not even being under power...
the thing I can't get passed is when I flip the TC system off I get no CEL codes, with it on I get CEL codes and the TC light comes on the dash on its own....

I have also noticed a performance difference with TC on vs off, Trans slips and doesn't shift right and holds gears, in all gears with it on, with it off it shifts normal but has slip, with it in manual mode and TC off it runs right..... I definitely think its a electronic or tuning issue, but either way I can't keep a trans in it even with driving like a grandpa....
I need to find the master manual to these trucks and figure out how these systems work and what's really linked to what...

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a abs fuse that is linked to the tcs- pull the fuse and see how it drives. If it drives better the way it should then you know it’s related to the tcs. The tcs is prolly the one thing I really really hate about my truck, I got out into some deep snow last winter and went to get on the skinny pedal and my truck just fell on its face... had I gotten stuck I would of been fckn furious.... I’m not 100% sure on wich fuse it is.. there is a post somewhere here on the forums. I would try that.