Most low end torque with long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pcart23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since my gear swap for my 16 ram 1500 5.7 isn't going so well I was wondering about the JBA headers to get alittle more lower end tourque. They don't come with cats. But to get the most low end tourque out of them I thought you would need to have some restriction like say the cats. Or would putting a true dual with x pipes and dual mufflers be the same? Not too concerned with how it sounds bc I'm sure it'll sound good anyway after the headers and of course it is a hemi haha.

All I'm looking for is the best setup with the JBA longtube headers for best possible gains in the lower end for tourque since I have the 3.21 gears and 35s with the 8 speed.

I will also be getting a Diablo tuner with custom tunes so if the best setup is with no cats then I'm covered there.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 126

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JBA's fit like ****. Get ARH

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No complaints with my ARH.

I can't imagine there much difference in header designs or even materials now. Basically all the same?

I have ARH but I'm betting I couldn't tell the difference between kooks, ******, ARH, jba, whatever once they're installed.

I suppose fit would matter to me but how much could the worst fitting one be off anyways? Not that id want to dimple a set of longtubes

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had JBA's on my 3G 4.7 that needed some significant "clearancing" from the steering column. A year later the weld on the passenger side flange to primary tube let go...
They're warranty allowed me to buy one side for exactly 1/2 of what they originally cost.
The new part is still sitting in my garage, two years later
Headers are next for my '16, when the warranty runs out- They'll definitely be ARH

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Really? But ARH or so dang exspensive! Lol but I guess I was going to spend about that much on the gear swap.

Anybody else have JBA headers that do not fit well?

Yup. Had to dent them for steering shaft clearance,and on my 14 4X4 they damn near touch the drivers side framerail. They run close enough to the brake lines I wrapped the headers,and also installed DEI heat reflective shielding over the brake lines that they run right beside,more for piece of mind,as i'm kinda adverse to heating the brake fluid up. Some guys have no issues with JBA's,but it seems just as many guys do have issues,so it's your call. Next set i'm gonna buy are going to be Kooks.

OP
OP
Pcart23

Pcart23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup. Had to dent them for steering shaft clearance,and on my 14 4X4 they damn near touch the drivers side framerail. They run close enough to the brake lines I wrapped the headers,and also installed DEI heat reflective shielding over the brake lines that they run right beside,more for piece of mind,as i'm kinda adverse to heating the brake fluid up. Some guys have no issues with JBA's,but it seems just as many guys do have issues,so it's your call. Next set i'm gonna buy are going to be Kooks.

Why kooks and not ARH?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Personally I think they fit better then the ARH's and have equal length primaries. I've looked at both ARH's and Kooks installed on 4X4's,and the Kooks are the better fit in my opinion. Matt sells ARH's and doesn't sell Kooks so draw your own conculsions on what he's going to recommend. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with ARH's,but there's also nothing wrong with a few of the other brands either.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience, Matt has always given me a choice of products for my particular application, no matter whether he sells the particular product or not.
Jay

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Personally I think they fit better then the ARH's and have equal length primaries. I've looked at both ARH's and Kooks installed on 4X4's,and the Kooks are the better fit in my opinion. Matt sells ARH's and doesn't sell Kooks so draw your own conculsions on what he's going to recommend. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with ARH's,but there's also nothing wrong with a few of the other brands either.

Are you sure Kooks has equal length primaries? They dont look like it judging by the pictures I have seen of them.

I have not installed or used Kooks on these newer trucks simply because I have been so impressed with ARH that I dont see any reason to stray away from them. Fit, finish, and performance is spot on with ARH. Like said, this doesnt at all mean that Kooks isnt just as nice a header though...Ive yet to hear any complaints form the guys running them on these trucks, so I dont doubt that they are a great quality header.

As for JBA, I would not go with their, or any other brands, 1 7/8" header if low end tq is what you are after. The larger primary tube will actually make less tq than a header with a 1 3/4" primaries.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had zero issues with my the ARH. For the low end I'd do like matt said. Stick with 1 3/4 primaries, a tune , vararam, and throttle body will definitely give you some more jump off the line. An ati pulley/dampener will also assist in getting that thing revving!!! Maybe think about lighter wheels and/or some 33's to accommodate your gearing issue.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
come on guys don't be so damn cheap, my solution to your issue can be cured in one of two ways.

Oh ready tt or sc and you are golden, just remember to purchase all of the necessary supporting mods and now you are platinum

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Really? But ARH or so dang exspensive! Lol but I guess I was going to spend about that much on the gear swap.

Anybody else have JBA headers that do not fit well?
I have jba shorty's, ( live in sally ass California ) the fit and finish was nice. I ended up going to a port matched gibson later because I have the pre eagle head hemi. My only complaint about jba was the amount of valve train noise that resonated from them. They sounded like an exhaust leak if you got close to cars or walls, I run remflex gaskets and aftermarket bolts and recommend the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have jba shorty's, ( live in sally ass California ) the fit and finish was nice. I ended up going to a port matched gibson later because I have the pre eagle head hemi. My only complaint about jba was the amount of valve train noise that resonated from them. They sounded like an exhaust leak if you got close to cars or walls, I run remflex gaskets and aftermarket bolts and recommend the same.

Cheaper headers will be noisier. Some will use thinner wall material to lower costs, but valve train noise will be louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They sure have a premium price, 639$ in ceramic lol. I have the same pair on my 5.9 dakota and they are as quiet as can be. I think part of it is the hemi itself, here alot of people complain after headers.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
To each their own....but which ever you go with get them ceramic coated inside and out. Many ppl shy away from stainless works or ARH because of price....but if you are gonna bother to go through with installing headers make sure you get what you pay for.... all companies are out to make profits and like the post above some skimp on R&D, quality of metals and welds, or fitment issues and/or with quality cats and y pipe around the 8 speed trannies. I for one am very happy with the ARH had installed for about 2 years now.... pipes are not pipes...lol many people have figured this out the hard way. :superhack:

One thing for sure is this.....anything is better than the POS manifolds Ram installs as OEM! Best of luck!

Last edited:

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was in your situation with 35's and 3.21 gears, I'd install a torque converter. It'll snatch that truck off the line harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I run ARH with high flow magnaflow cats...up to you...I can still pass
My states emissons. Also take whichever cats you buy and have them ceramic coated inside and out... I had a high quality application put on my headers and y pipe...makes a huge difference under the hood with temps as well as exhaust flow...do it once and do it right....after all it is an expensive mod....but sooooo worth it!

OP
OP
Pcart23

Pcart23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really looking for a race truck. Looking for it to tow my side by side and boat better. Right now it searches for 5th-7th on rolling hills heading to the camp and normal driving stays in 7th going 72 at 2k rpms