Motor ticks on startup and noise at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anotherjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2014 Ram 5.7 with around 24k on it. Occasionally when i start it there will be a tick for a couple seconds. When its cold out this seems to happen more but it still happens in the summer. Additionally at idle there is a faint grinding. The truck is currently running amsoil 5w-20 but this was still present when it was running which ever oil it came with when I bought it at 14k. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what the outcome was. I want to take it to the dealer before the warranty runs out but im worried im just going to take it there and it wont make the noise and there wont be anything they can do.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many threads on this issue. Seems common.

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exact same thing here on my '14. It drives me nuts, I took it to the dealer but of course it wouldn't do it. I even had phone record video before I started it each morning but no luck.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I know there are tons of threads on this issue...maybe even recalls. Mine ticked pretty bad, dealer told me that the issue is usually but not limited to lifters becoming out of wack and tapping the inside of the valve cover, or/and passenger-side exhaust manifolds leaking.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Search Hemi tick and cam failure, there are two main causes, one annoying, one dangerous to your engine. Rule out exhaust bolts by taking one in hose and putting it up to your ear and other end to each manifold bolt when it is ticking. If it isn't that most likely it is lifter tick like mine was. many guys have solved this with a high moly oil, if not you may need to change lifters before it wipes out your Cam. Do a search if you have questions past that PM me.

hemisport5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Search Hemi tick and cam failure, there are two main causes, one annoying, one dangerous to your engine. Rule out exhaust bolts by taking one in hose and putting it up to your ear and other end to each manifold bolt when it is ticking. If it isn't that most likely it is lifter tick like mine was. many guys have solved this with a high moly oil, if not you may need to change lifters before it wipes out your Cam. Do a search if you have questions past that PM me.

My 2015 has 6,000 miles on it and the truck does it from time to time. I started running Pennzoil Ultra synthetic 5w20 and it hasn't done it since

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
My 04 did it from the day I bought it new, to the day I traded it in 12 years later.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My 04 did it from the day I bought it new, to the day I traded it in 12 years later.

Many guys have done the same in the past. But it seams like these days there is a cam every week or two that is toast due to the lifters not operating properly and wearing the lobes down to the nub. Seams like every one of them lately have been using a non-moly oil, moly basics. H395 and myself have been following this and seams like the last 4 specifically were using Valvoline or RP, two non-moly oils. You could ignore it and perhaps never have an issue, or it could cost you 7 g's if the cam wears down and you use the dealer to fix it. Moly is cheap insurance and most oils have it anyhow. Redline costs a bit more but has been very effective at getting rd of lifter tick, has 10 times more moly then average.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many guys have done the same in the past. But it seams like these days there is a cam every week or two that is toast due to the lifters not operating properly and wearing the lobes down to the nub. Seams like every one of them lately have been using a non-moly oil, moly basics. H395 and myself have been following this and seams like the last 4 specifically were using Valvoline or RP, two non-moly oils. You could ignore it and perhaps never have an issue, or it could cost you 7 g's if the cam wears down and you use the dealer to fix it. Moly is cheap insurance and most oils have it anyhow. Redline costs a bit more but has been very effective at getting rd of lifter tick, has 10 times more moly then average.
My 17 5.7 has about 1300 miles on it, just did first oil change at 1100 with PP. Since I put the PP in the occasional tick is almost gone, the only time it tics is if I start it after I had just started it like to bring up to house to get loaded up. Not a noise on cold starts or hit starts. If and I say if I was to change to redline where is best place to order from, straight from redline or someone like Jeggs or Summit.?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I get mine from Amazon or Ebay, and try to get it at around 11-12 a qrt. H395 hooked me up with a deal on Jeggs, where the tranny fluid was stupid cheap. So sometimes you might be able to find a sale.