MPG Improvement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb4wd99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Hey guys, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi in it. I am wondering if any of ya'll have done any mods to your trucks that would be noteworthy of mpg improvements. I have 33" tires on the truck with a 3.83 (or 3.73, cant remember) diff and I know that isnt helping the issue, but was looking for any help. I have the T1000 diablosport programmer, which by the way i highly recommend, with the mds disabled and the 87 oct program installed. I was thinking about putting the Vararam intake on it with headers and true dual exhaust all the way out to help her breathe better. Any feedback from anyone with the headers will be a huge help. I am currently in the 13 mpg range, city and highway both. I have not tried the 91 or 93 oct gas yet with the corresponding diablo programs as of yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This time of year you won't be able to do much to see a huge improvment but what I would recommend is use 91 octane with the 87 tune and see what that nets you. It was good for a couple of mpgs for me last summer. Other than that I can tell you that modding your truck isn't going to gain any mpg well not enough to justify spending the money on it.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Installing the Vararam will help. Also a ported TB will make a little difference. Headers and true duals with hi flow cats (if your gonna run a legal setup) or straight all the way back. After these mods the Hemifever tune will tie it all together and should help with your mpgs... but you gotta think about how much you are actually gonna spend for 2-4 mpgs, sometimes its just cheaper to have a lower mpg lol. On my truck, I have a K&N air intake, shorty headers, and QTP exhaust dumps.. and I get 8.6 mpgs (im on 37s) but I have heard of guys hitting 11-12 mpgs with the mods above^ with the 5.7 on 37s and 38s.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The modifications you list would help improve your MPG if you're engine was at WOT and/or heavy load all the time.

They really won't do much for MPGs in real world conditions.

Narrow Low Rolling Resistance Tires will help, maybe a partial grill block.
The trucks issue is NOT that it doesn't have enough power to push through the air, it's that the air is pushing back so much against it!

couleeman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
13/14 Ram 1500's
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Don't forget to factor in your cost of the mods to gain fuel economy. At 4 mpg better, it takes 20000 miles of driving to save $1000 in mods at current gas prices in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A HEMI will never be a gas sipper.
Embrace the horsepower and enhance the fun of driving a big @$$ truck. Go around and pull little clown cars out of snow banks in the winter and haul all that you can haul in the summer. :burnout:

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I vote for just making more money and not caring about filling it up.

Works well in Alberta :)

Though, driving the ol HEMI doesn't go hand in hand with MPG. I can get about 16 mpg in city if I drive it oooohhhh so easy that I make corollas look fast. That makes me mad so I drive it how I wanna and net about 13 MPG like you.

That being said, I can drive the 11 harder than I was able to with my old 08 and still get better mileage.

What your planning shouldn't HURT mpg anyways. Or you could use the 1500 bucks youre gonna blow on mods for about 11 gas tanks.

Last edited:

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yea, get mods for power not MPG and youll feel better about it.
Ive got as far as the hemi fever custom tune with the mods on my sig and ive only really seen about 1mpg improvement (at best)

Get your mods and enjoy the extra power.

WhiteBuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi, 8spd, 3.92
I heard the Prius gets good mpgs.
Or a dart if you wanna keep a dodge, personally the best mpg mods I've done is leaving the truck in its parking spot an driving something else

LOL no kidding, I laugh every time I see these post. DO NOT buy a truck for gas mileage.

OP
OP
R

reb4wd99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Thanks for all of the replies. Sarcasm by Whitebuck is nonproductive and unwarranted since I didnt buy the truck for mpg or I would have bought a prius. I love my truck and am wanting to get all I can out of it. Is that so wrong? I have a 5.7 Hemi with 33" tires. Im not trying to get 30 mpg out of it. Im asking what others have done that may help a little since I am going to do the mods anyways. With that being said, my thought process is that I can do all of these mods to increase power and performance, which in turn would increase mpg simply because it is producing more power than is needed for any given application.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know what you mean, and that's exactly what RAM is trying to do. Increase MPG.

Of course no one buys a truck thinking it will be great on fuel consumption but with that Ecodiesel they did just that. 29mpg is up to par with a lot of 4cyl suv's.

If and when I get another truck it'll be an Eco

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The modifications you list would help improve your MPG if you're engine was at WOT and/or heavy load all the time.

They really won't do much for MPGs in real world conditions.

Narrow Low Rolling Resistance Tires will help, maybe a partial grill block.
The trucks issue is NOT that it doesn't have enough power to push through the air, it's that the air is pushing back so much against it!

Exactly. I added an exhaust and I take hoping to eek out more mpg and it did nothing. I actually lost a little because I liked hearing the exhaust. So I went back to stock.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Performance parts are just that performance oriented. They can help with MPGs. But you will more than likely use the performance improvements to feel the power and hear the sound. My mileage has stayed the same since I added my stuff. But it may improve after I get used to the added power

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Prius

Motorcycle

NOT A V8 BAMFn truck!

See where that's going?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Thanks for all of the replies. Sarcasm by Whitebuck is nonproductive and unwarranted since I didnt buy the truck for mpg or I would have bought a prius. I love my truck and am wanting to get all I can out of it. Is that so wrong? I have a 5.7 Hemi with 33" tires. Im not trying to get 30 mpg out of it. Im asking what others have done that may help a little since I am going to do the mods anyways. With that being said, my thought process is that I can do all of these mods to increase power and performance, which in turn would increase mpg simply because it is producing more power than is needed for any given application.

Well, first off your hurting you MPG running those 33s.

Get some stock forged 17s and I bet you would gain 1-2mpg..

LOL no kidding, I laugh every time I see these post. DO NOT buy a truck for gas mileage.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure you looked at the window sticker right before you signed those papers right?? hahaha

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added a few feet of wire and made some grounds between stock ground points on the fenders, neg batt terminal and engine block.
Got .7 L/100Km better on a very familiar trip than I've EVER seen before. For the few bucks it cost, seems to have some merit.

WhiteBuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi, 8spd, 3.92
OP your right my response was non productive. My apologies to you.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I added a few feet of wire and made some grounds between stock ground points on the fenders, neg batt terminal and engine block.
Got .7 L/100Km better on a very familiar trip than I've EVER seen before. For the few bucks it cost, seems to have some merit.

You mean like doing the BIG 3 wiring mod?

vtron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Don't take it personally. They spew the same tired crap every time someone asks about MPGs.