Mpg increase/ decrease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a situation maybe there is someone that can give me greater insight. When I buy my fuel, both diesel and gas, in my local area Raymondville-Lyford Texas (RGV),I buy from Murphy Oil, The farm co-op, or Valero Oil which is basically the only options that I have. When I purchase gas/diesel around the Houston area my miles per gallon jumps up between 1.5 and 2 MPG. I keep that mpg increase when I buy fuel in Louisiana, Mississippi. My question is why? Driving style stays the same and it doesn't matter if I'm loaded down, pulling a trailer or driving empty. I have noticed this in my Ram 1500, Now in my 2500, and also my other vehicle when we travel out of our home area.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd say it's the quality of the gas, lower quality gas = lower MPG.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took me s long time to get it thru my thick head, There is a difference in fuel. I am one of those guys that checks every tank. I constantly check fuel economy because it is the only realistic way of knowing the health of your vehicle.

Around here, Marathon, or Country Mark <which is Co-op, will yield 1.5 more mpg than everybody else's. BP does almost as good.

What you are seeing is the diference hi quality gas makes. Junk in, junk out.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
to the OP...
Is there a difference in price of say 20 cents a gallon? and does the loss of mileage make up for the difference in price per tank?

Typically when I refill it is 25 gal in my 32 gallon tank... if I save 20 cents/gal thats $5 in my pocket... but you claim you might have lost 50 miles on that tankful...

seems like it might be a wash to me...

I got the 3.21 gears and I am happy that my highway mileage typically is at about 21+ MPG give or take 2 MPG depending on the direction the wind is blowing...