Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juanaguilar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my very first Ram pick up and I want change the muffler on it. I just want the truck to sound beefier and can't decide between a Magnaflow and Borla. Any advice as to which one to install and what model number. I am also looking to install the s&b cold air intake.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
First off, Welcome to the Forum !! We are PROUD to have you join us, as a Member.

S&B Intake?
Man o man, did I ever want one of those.
Still do, actually, strictly because they look so darn good, when you lift the Hood.
Best thing about them, other than louder sound, form the engine, as it takes in Air, is the fact that when you do rap out Engine RPM's, as in when passing someone at highway speeds, more air is delivered is to the engine.

I actually did something a little bit different, trying to save that $300 to be used elsewhere. Now, I doubt if I ever do get an S&B intake, since what I did seems to work so well.

This is the thread where I got the idea.

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/modded_stock_air-box_snorkle_more_airflow-37123/

This is a Post, from my Build Thread, with some pictures of how it looks, done.

http://www.ramforum.com/f17/gofishn...ed_build_thread-83021/index2.html#post1260399

Muffler?
Magnaflow or Borla?
That is a Ram vs Ford vs Chevy kind of thing.

Go to youtube, type in RAM 1500 Magnaflow
Start listening to videos, to see which exhaust sounds like music, to your ears.
I went Magnaflow 24" Muffler.

as you go smaller, in size, the exhaust gets louder.
22" is very popular.
18", as well.
Seems like 14" & 24" are the red headed step children but, that 24" is as loud as I would ever want to go. , not so much.

Land on a Mangaflow muffler, then do teh saem until you find a Borla you like.
Once you got it down to just two of them, decide betwixt the Finalists.

Would not dream of taking that fun away from you. I had a blast choosing among all those youtube videos. You will too.

Again, welcome to the Forum.
Lots of great info here and tremendously helpful folks sharing it.

Thepopeofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mufflex dod14m is what I just put on my 13 bighorn. Loving the sound! It has a lowkey rumble at idle and as you progressivly apply gas it gets beefier and louder but not too loud. Very little drone in the cabin as i can have the radio set at about quarter volume and minimally hear the exhaust while driving at speed limit. It's definitely a beautiful set up and it's a direct fit replacement for the stock muffler with all hardware included. Only tools needed are a 15mm socket and a ratchet.
Now as for the intake I just did the s&b CAI and will say that the new airflow is great! And the look is killer.
The only thing I would say against the stock box mod is the difference in filter size. The new s&b filter is easily double, if not bigger, the surface size of the stock filter size. Bigger surface size means more airflow through to the engine, but I can't prove anything without comparing numbers with trucks model the same except for the intake.
Finally as previous poster said there are answers to all your questions on here and if it isn't on here yet there are people who know the answers.

Lockestars_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spintech 9000 series. No complaints and all I get is thumbs up. At first I did the muffler swap. Everything else was stock sounded perfect. Recently I installed a KN black hawk, changed out the chrome tips with 5x18 black tips and did a resonator delete. It's a beast sound. Anyway, that wasn't either of your choices but I love my spintech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nubster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a Magnaflow on my truck today. I started a thread but here's my thought...it's the aggressive kit from Mufflex. Went on pretty easy. Sounds good. Much better than stock. Nice and deep sound. I was disappointed that it wasn't quite a bit louder than stock...just slightly. So...if you aren't looking for LOUD but rather just a quality deep rumble...I'd certainly recommend the Magnaflow and the Mufflex kit. Here's a quick video of my truck with the new exhaust....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMw8-1v0kY&feature=youtu.be

Thepopeofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just put a Magnaflow on my truck today. I started a thread but here's my thought...it's the aggressive kit from Mufflex. Went on pretty easy. Sounds good. Much better than stock. Nice and deep sound. I was disappointed that it wasn't quite a bit louder than stock...just slightly. So...if you aren't looking for LOUD but rather just a quality deep rumble...I'd certainly recommend the Magnaflow and the Mufflex kit. Here's a quick video of my truck with the new exhaust....

This is me just looking for clarification, what exactly were you expecting? The sound of an exhaust less chevy from the 90s? Also have you really gotten on the gas pedal since the install?
With mine which I did on Saturday I can tell a huge difference when I'm driving and I apply about 1/4 throttle or more.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

sounds like a 24" magnaflow to me.

again, shorter is louder,
22 louder than 24
18 louder than 22
14 louder than 18

Be aware, Muffler Drone, from MDS engageing, is worse thelouder you go.

Flowmster is loud but cheesy sounding, to me, you may love it.

BTW, Mufflex DOD stuff is Magnaflow Muffler, with pipes added, so it is all a "End USer Bolt-on" for the retail buyer.

Listen to youtube

enjoy!

OP
OP
J

juanaguilar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the great advice and decided to install a Manflow muffler and the S&B air intake. Once installed I will post pictures and sound.

OP
OP
J

juanaguilar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saww the video on YouTube and that's the sound I'm looking for.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Before you buy that S&B intake

Check out this thread

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/modded_stock_air-box_snorkle_more_airflow-37123/

I did teh Mod, to my truck. Here are few pics of how ti looks, from a post in my Build Thread.

http://www.ramforum.com/f17/gofishn...ed_build_thread-83021/index2.html#post1260399

Easy to do, does not take much time, let me use the S&B money on other mods, since I got what I wanted, MORE AIR.

Really only notice it at high RPM's, usually most noticeable at highway speeds, when passing.

TCGM087

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saww the video on YouTube and that's the sound I'm looking for.

Yeah like i said just did a muffler delete and replace it with a y pipe... Alot of people like it has that deep sound like a mustang they tell me lol only down fall when ECO comes on changes tones but if you put in manual mode and leave it in 8th gear no worries :)