muffler choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so im going to go ahead and put a muffler on for my birthday. no catback system, just cut old muffler out weld new one in. maybe, possibly, get a dual out but i doubt it as i dont have a bunch to spend on exhaust right now. so... if you would be buying A replacement muffler for your fourth gen, what product would you go with and why? i love deep and loud exhaust. not high pitched whines and stuff. my dad says flowmaster, alot of people here seem to like magnaflow, so tell which one and why. i would love to hear your opinion.

keep in mind this is a little 4.7... im hoping for a rumble, but im sure it will sound different than a hemi

thanks guys

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ps i know i wont be that loud with the cats still on it and everything but i dont want the exhaust to effect inspection thats why im going this route. but still the louder and more rumble the better.

also, it wouldnt throw any codes by doing this will it? as long as i keep factory cats and everything im good right

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a 4th gen but I plan on dropping the duals out the back and flowmaster I have now for a Spintech ProStreet with duals out in front of the passenger tire

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
to be totally honest, if i could i would dump the muffler and run a straight pipe out the side. with all the restriction the stock exhaust had it wont be too loud and still provide a rumble. but... i have free life inspection on the truck and they wont pass it without a muffler. i could get it inspected somewhere else easily, but why pay for it when i can have it done free lol.

still debating whether im going to run it before the tire or just leave the stock tailpipe there. i just want the sound right now and dont want to spend alot to get it until i can buy what i want. which will be a true dual 3" all the way back with tips. but that cost money i dont have right now. so only a muffler.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you have two flowmasters or a dual exit muffler? how does it sound? i know its different with the hemi but im trying to get an idea. does it drone? get high pitched in higher rpms? i always ran slp mufflers, but i think i want to try something different on this truck

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I always run magnaflow and always recommend them. Great sound great quality.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
could always just get a cutout!
i have a flowmaster 40series its nice and deep, but i only really use my cutout now. way louder and can still hear the flowmaster cause its a high flow muffler. i did a lot of youtubing when i was deciding on getting the cutout. maybe look there for different set ups.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I have an 18" magnaflow dumped at the muffler. Granted. I have LT headers and hi flow cats. But it's a nice deep rumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
cutout.

Put it on with 2 band clamps and take it off (put the section you cut off back) when you do the inspection. :D

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well by simply going by sound clips, im liking flowmaster over magnaflow. i know theres others. any one have opinions on those? thrush, gibson, borla, etc etc. im liking flowmaster, but which one? 40 series or the agressive 10 series. 10 sounds awesome but it was also on a built el camino. some comparision lol. what you guys think

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
id go with the 40. feel like 10 would be too loud and get annoying. also take a look past the sound and look at warranties. i rather spend extra money on a better warranty then get a cheaper one with a sucky warranty. thats my opinion though.
but also take a look at cutouts. cheap and easy to install. its basically straight piping the exhaust. a lot of us on the forum have them. heres a link from the one most of us have. also our vendor 3rd Strike Performance sells different brands of them.
3" Electric Cutout Bypass Exhaust System

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so a cutout is not legal in inspection right? i would have to replace it with a metal pipe right? not a big deal just asking. also i would have to mount it before my cats and everything correct? wouldnt that set the check engine light off?

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
id go with the 40. feel like 10 would be too loud and get annoying. also take a look past the sound and look at warranties. i rather spend extra money on a better warranty then get a cheaper one with a sucky warranty. thats my opinion though.
but also take a look at cutouts. cheap and easy to install. its basically straight piping the exhaust. a lot of us on the forum have them. heres a link from the one most of us have. also our vendor 3rd Strike Performance sells different brands of them.
3" Electric Cutout Bypass Exhaust System

beeing both flowmaster wouldnt they both have the same warranty? also like i said wouldnt the cutout throw codes? its the same thing as stright pipe. no 02 sensor readings... new to the cutout thing

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nope can mount it right before the muffler. you could mount it before the cats for it to be really loud though and then buy something to trick the computer thinking it is reading the O2 sensors correctly.
i mounted it before the muffler
IMAG0363.jpg

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
beeing both flowmaster wouldnt they both have the same warranty? also like i said wouldnt the cutout throw codes? its the same thing as stright pipe. no 02 sensor readings... new to the cutout thing

if you are looking to do it before the cats you could buy this
Oxygen Sensor Electronic Simulator Oxygen Sensor Electronic Simulator, O2 Sensor Electronic Simulator [O2 Sensor Electronic Simulator] - $79.95 : 3rd Strike Performance!!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts-Aftermarket Accessories!!

tricks the computer so it isnt throwing any codes. but before the muffler should do just fine. that way you can switch from the stock sound to a straight pipe.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nope can mount it right before the muffler. you could mount it before the cats for it to be really loud though and then buy something to trick the computer thinking it is reading the O2 sensors correctly.
i mounted it before the muffler
IMAG0363.jpg

if i mounted it before cats (which is what id do since id have the ability to be super loud or stock) and it throws codes, would it go back to normal when i turned it off? like only throws check engine light when the cut out is open?

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SIDO Flowmaster 50 I believe...It was on when I got the truck but it sure doesn't seem loud enough to be a 40...Either way I liked the prostreet on my dakotas 4.7...Can't wait to hear it on the 5.7

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk