muffler choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you are looking to do it before the cats you could buy this
Oxygen Sensor Electronic Simulator Oxygen Sensor Electronic Simulator, O2 Sensor Electronic Simulator [O2 Sensor Electronic Simulator] - $79.95 : 3rd Strike Performance!!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts-Aftermarket Accessories!!

tricks the computer so it isnt throwing any codes. but before the muffler should do just fine. that way you can switch from the stock sound to a straight pipe.

says it wont work after year 2003. gotta see if i can find one for my truck if i decide that route.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
if i mounted it before cats (which is what id do since id have the ability to be super loud or stock) and it throws codes, would it go back to normal when i turned it off? like only throws check engine light when the cut out is open?

Depending on where you put it. If put before the front o2 sensors, it'll make your truck shoot flames! (Personal experience with not using a front o2 sensor for a little.) SO thats a no go. I dont remember how far apart they are, or if anything can even go in between them, But if it's put after the front and before the rear, then you might have to clear it every time, but it should go away.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
would i need a programmer to clear the codes, right. im seriously thinking about cutouts now. she doesn't want me to have a loud exhaust (all my trucks were always straight pipe) so i could close it when she is getting mad and open it to **** her off haha. just worried about the check engine thing. if i could here what it sounds like on a 4.7 just before the muffler than again before the cats i could choose. but cant find anything for 4.7 damn

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i no i would be removing it for inspection since its free at the dealer. straight pipe dont get you pulled over around here just wont pass inspection. youtube isnt helping me with sound clips on 4.7 tho. i can only assume both cats would dramatically reduce sound on these things. what causes flames?? thats not good for cats for sure. does the 02 sensor go goofy and send wierd air/fuel signals or something?

btw sorry for such newb questions and all. im not new to trucks or modifying but i am new to these new trucks and their computers.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
yeah i no i would be removing it for inspection since its free at the dealer. straight pipe dont get you pulled over around here just wont pass inspection. youtube isnt helping me with sound clips on 4.7 tho. i can only assume both cats would dramatically reduce sound on these things. what causes flames?? thats not good for cats for sure. does the 02 sensor go goofy and send wierd signals or something?

btw sorry for such newb questions and all. im not new to trucks or modifying but i am new to these new trucks and their computers.

The o2 sensors weren't getting a reading of the exhaust, and all air, so it was just dumping fuel into my passenger side (the side not connected) and made a jet flame coming out of the catalytic converter right after I got my LT's installed.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i guess that means its a no no no matter what. dont want to blow cats out. but i have a single exhaust, would i have same issues? i guess so, huh

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
If you attempt to bypass the first O2 sensor you'll have problems. I drove without a rear sensor for a few days with no symptoms while I waited to get it welded in.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
alright i appreciate it man. thanks alot, so my final decision is a cutout before muffler (which means no problem, correct), a flowmaster 40, or go back to my usual setup of a slp loudmouth muffler. the cutout is nice because you can swap between loud and stock, my only problem is does the 4.7 have enough grunt to make it worth it or will it sound like crap? i have been checking out videos on youtube about it but im coming up with either a different setup than i want or a moron who doesnt know how to make a decent exhaust video.

thanks for the opinions, seems most of you choose a cutout anyways

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oh btw this will be happening before next weekend as well thats why im trying to decide what i want. hoping to order parts tuesday and install this weekend if im lucky enough

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slp...hands down, flowmasters rust.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i absolutely love my slp loudmouth exhaust. had it on 3/4 of all of my trucks, but thought i would try something different with a new truck

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah thats true. it will sound about the same as a cutout, just the cutout i will be able to return to stock whenever i want. and idk how the stock tailpipe will make the muffler sound either. grr. think im going to buy a loudmouth muffler and install it, if i have any regrets i know i can sell it fast and just turn around and buy a cutout. atleast with the muffler i wont have to reroute it like the cutout... damn

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude dump it under your bed with a turndown, seeing tailpipes sucks. Dump that sh*t.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah thats true. it will sound about the same as a cutout, just the cutout i will be able to return to stock whenever i want. and idk how the stock tailpipe will make the muffler sound either. grr. think im going to buy a loudmouth muffler and install it, if i have any regrets i know i can sell it fast and just turn around and buy a cutout. atleast with the muffler i wont have to reroute it like the cutout... damn

Be sure to check our vendor 3rd Strike for the muffler and cut out!

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Flowmaster 40 with a cut out on my 4.7 and love it.

no way, i never guess that big badass truck had a 4.7. Awesome. sheds some light on my truck now haha. thats cool. how do you compare? you like the cutout more than the flowmaster or the other way around?