Muffler Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big-Blue15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 15 5.7. Will that affect backpressure when it cuts off 4 cylinders? Thanks

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS sounds like **** if you dont have a muffler... :)

MDS is also useless.. :) and should be disabled :)

Steelworker 16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Whatever you do. Don't take the resonators off when you do the muffler delete. I'm at the exhaust shoo for the second time because I took of the resonators. I don't think the truck sound bad with a muffler delete. Adding the resonators back on will do away with my raspyness. I don't feel that it effects my truck as far as back pressure

OP
OP
Big-Blue15

Big-Blue15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I should do some research before I decide. Thanks y'all

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the muffler delete on my 14 1500 about 2 weeks ago. With MDS on it sounds like the tranny is searching for gears (sometimes it is) when it drops in and out of MDS, and I noticed I dropped a few MPGs due to this issue as well as making her scream. I turned off MDS using this method:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9GgClbeFE

With that I've noticed I've regained my lost MPGs with MDS off.

cdsbj6508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a muffler delete on my 17 and I LOVE it!. Yes the MDS sounds shi**y, but you can turn it off. I get tones of compliments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a muffler delete on my 17 and I LOVE it!. Yes the MDS sounds shi**y, but you can turn it off. I get tones of compliments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you keep Resonators?

Would adding in Resonated Tips help?

I have a 3" Thrush Rattler dumped before the rear axle

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 15 5.7. Will that affect backpressure when it cuts off 4 cylinders? Thanks
Its not back pressure, its scavenging. Too open and you lose the scavenging draw from the exhaust exiting the pipe pulling the next exhaust stroke down the pipe. With your Cats and Resonators still in place taking the muffler off should not ruin your scavenging, but why bother? Get rid of the OEM muffler with something free flowing and your truck will run and sound better.

Back pressure is really what happens when your system is too closed--you get flow restrictions.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not back pressure, its scavenging. Too open and you lose the scavenging draw from the exhaust exiting the pipe pulling the next exhaust stroke down the pipe. With your Cats and Resonators still in place taking the muffler off should not ruin your scavenging, but why bother? Get rid of the OEM muffler with something free flowing and your truck will run and sound better.

Back pressure is really what happens when your system is too closed--you get flow restrictions.

I had a '13 with the 5.7 and tried three different aftermarket mufflers. All sounded great except when it kicked off half the cylinders then it sounded horrible. Ended up having to always run it with the MDS disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdsbj6508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you keep Resonators?

Would adding in Resonated Tips help?

I have a 3" Thrush Rattler dumped before the rear axle

Yes kept the resonators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kept my resos too. I'm saving my pennies for the Moe's 5" tips to mellow/deepen the tone.